Discussing(and criticizing) the AXI proposed changes to Thargoid Combat.

About a month ago, AXI posted a google document, listing their many requests and perceived flaws with Thargoid combat, as well as the weapons and statistics surrounding it.

You can view the document at the following link, but I thought it would be good to discuss some specific aspects of this document, as well as the flaws in their viewpoints and biases, in a public place visible to others.

Guardian Shard Cannons​

Guardian Shard Cannon [non-CG/Salvation]

Guardian Shard Cannons are reasonably effective on Clops and Basilisk, but can barely scratch a Medusa or Hydra due to their very low AP. The changes below retain roughly the same effectiveness on Cyclops and Basilisk, while upping effectiveness on Medusa and Hydra - making shards more viable on the harder interceptor variants.

ClassRatingDamageNEW DamageBreach DamageNEW breach damageArmour
Piercing
NEW Armour
Piercing
1D3.641.821.60.830120
1F2.021.010.90.4530120
2A6.773.8831.545180
2A4.342.171.90.9545180
3C9.54.754.22.160240
3D6.23.12.71.3560240

Summary: Dramatically reduce raw damage, increase Armor Peircing to 120 to 240.

Firstly, this change has clearly been proposed to prevent Gibbing, a behavior that AXI hates. Unfortunately, they hate it with no reason beyond 'it's not playing the game right'.

Secondly, and worse, in my opinion, it 'solves' the issue of thargoid hardness by ignoring it entirely. At this point, why even bother having hardness at all?

Shard Cannons are clearly meant to be shield breakers, NOT for hulls or hearts.

The problem with Shard Cannons has nothing to do with AP or even their raw DPS. It's the fact that the most effective method of using them is by literally shoving the nose of your ship inside the thargoid and mashing left click. This means that buffing them in one way makes them overpowered at this extremely close range, but leaves them still ineffective at longer ranges.

The solution to this, in my opinion, has nothing to do with shard cannons at all, and everything to do with actions involving touching Thargoids. Ramming them is almost universally an overpowered technique, whether it by for gibbing, breaking their shields via ramming damage, or just getting up close and personal to get a guaranteed shot.

To solve this, I'd like to propose that all thargoids get a permanent close-range caustic cloud, quickly stacking multiple stacks of caustic damage just like after they die. Touch a thargoid at your peril.

Guardian Plasma Chargers​

Summary: Boost their damage and armor piercing massively.

Unfortunately, the proposed changes to Plasma Chargers(dramatically increasing their damage and armor piercing), while fixing the obvious problems of poor damage, once again does so by simply ignoring the existence of Armor Hardness.

I'd like to propose an alternative. Rather than outright increase their armor piercing across the board, change the charge mechanic so charging also increases armor piercing. Armor piercing would start at 1, and would charge up over the next 3 seconds to 300.

This would require players to adjust their charge times based on the thargoid in question. Rather than just always charging it up fully, players would charge up for Cyclopses for about 1 second, basilisks for about 1.4 seconds, Medusas for 1.7 seconds, and Hydras for 2.4 seconds. Charging up too little would result in reduced DPS; charging up too much would also result in reduced DPS.

Rather than ignoring armor hardness, this makes it an integral aspect of combat. Simultaneously, it makes the unique aspect of the guardian plasma chargers(their unique ability to actually charge incrementally) an integral aspect of their use.

AX Missile Racks & Advanced Missile Racks​

Anti-Xeno Missile Racks + Advanced Missile Racks

The “breach damage nerf” went really far for AXMRs, but didn’t touch AdvMRs - resulting in underwhelming heart damage (AXMRs) and utterly overpowered weapons of destruction (AdvMRs). The proposed changes below would align the two racks while making them moderately (not OP) useful for heart sniping.

Anti-Xeno Missile racks
ClassRatingBreach DamageNEW breach damage
2B0.15
2B0.15
3A0.15
3A0.15

Advanced Missile Racks
Anti-Xeno Missile Racks + Advanced Missile Racks

The “breach damage nerf” went really far for AXMRs, but didn’t touch AdvMRs - resulting in underwhelming heart damage (AXMRs) and utterly overpowered weapons of destruction (AdvMRs). The proposed changes below would align the two racks while making them moderately (not OP) useful for heart sniping.

Anti-Xeno Missile racks
2B0.15
2B0.15
3A0.15
3A0.15

Advanced Missile Racks
1B205
2B205

1B205
2B205

Summary: Reduce breach damage on Advanced Missile Racks by 75%, increase breach damage on AX missile racks to 5.

Once again, this is a case of a weapon that is quite powerful at close ranges(although I don't believe it's overpowered, as AXI says), but much more difficult to use at longer ranges. Missiles are the slowest-moving projectiles in the game; if you though hitting with guardian plasmas was hard, try hitting with a fixed missile rack beyond point-blank range.

Unfortunately, nobody in AXI has actually tried using them while fighting thargoids in the traditional manner(cold orbiting). In fact, most AXI members I've spoken to have never used them at all.

To solve the problem of close-range overpoweredness, I'd like to propose first, the aforementioned caustic cloud, and second, that missiles be given a short arming time, preventing them from detonating until they've traveled at least ~500m. This mandates they be used at reasonable distances and not at point-blank range.

Nerfing them as extensively as AXI has proposed would do the opposite, making them useless anywhere BUT at point-blank range, and essentially useless even there.

Hull Reinforcements​

Meta-Alloy Hull Reinforcement Package

Meta-alloy HRPs are currently outright inferior to both their regular (engineered) and the guardian counterparts. We recommend boosting their caustic resistance (which makes sense lore wise) to make them situationally useful.

ClassRatingCaustic ResistanceNEW Caustic Resistance
1D3.0%10.0%
2D3.0%10.0%
3D3.0%10.0%
4D3.0%10.0%
5D3.0%10.0%

Guardian Hull Reinforcement Package

Guardian caustic resistances are also quite low to make them practically useful, especially in the higher-class variants.

We recommend specializing them so that they retain their current hull boost, up their resistance to match the new MA HRP resistance (10%) while ALSO tripling their power draw - so that only builds with sufficient power can benefit from them, specializing them for higher-power-budget builds.

ClassRatingOld Power Draw (MW)New Power Draw (MW)Caustic ResistanceNEW Caustic Resistance
1E0.451.355.0%10.0%
1D0.561.685.0%10.0%
2E0.682.045.0%10.0%
2D0.792.375.0%10.0%
3E0.902.75.0%10.0%
3D1.013.035.0%10.0%
4E1.133.395.0%10.0%
4D1.243.725.0%10.0%
5E1.354.055.0%10.0%
5D1.464.385.0%10.0%

Summary: Increase Caustic Resistance to 10% across the board, triple energy cost on Guardian Hull Reinforcements.

Unfortunately, I don't believe AXI have done the math here. Giving meta-alloys 10% resistance would make them outright superior to class 1-3 hull reinforcements on the majority of ships, and essentially identical to class 4's; after a single engineered hull reinforcement, they'll become superior universally. At the same time, the lower absolute hull will result in faster repair times AND lower module damage and more efficient AFMU usage.

If the goal is making standard hull reinforcements obsolete, they'll accomplish it, but otherwise, it's a bad move. Meta Alloys are certainly flawed at present, but buffing them so massively is a bad move.

Similar problems exist with the proposed Guardian Hull Reinforcement changes, albeit with the added flaw of making them unavailable to a large percentage of ships. Guardian Hull Reinforcements are already a viable choice in many circumstances; primarily when in lower slots, true, but also in cases of significant hull stacking.

If guardian hull reinforcements needed a buff, it should be small; no more than 1-2%, and most likely it should be scaled; IE, give each class above class 1 an additional 0.4% resistance to caustic damage.

Meta Alloys, being functionally identical to Guardian Hull Reinforcements other than being weaker and without power draw, need some other function to become competitive. Perhaps an increased resistance to stacks of caustic damage on your ship, or even actively neutralizing them, even if slowly. This would be very helpful to players who might lack the ability to quickly overheat themselves, especially shielded players.

Ship Launched Fighters​

Ship-Launched Fighters

Ever since the introduction of phasing damage, Ship Launcher Fighters (“SLFs”), and guardian fighters in particular, have become obsolete in AX combat, to the point that it has become a common joke across the AX community as to how the Guardians actually managed to beat the Thargoids considering how their fighters instantly die to even a meager Cyclops swarm.

The paper-thin hull of guardian fighters, coupled with the phasing damage of swarms and interceptor main cannons, means guardian SLFs are essentially one-shot-killed as soon as in swarm or interceptor range.

Furthermore guardian SLFs lack the most-critical item which creates survivability in AX: heatsinks, and lack the only other possible option: silent running.

We recommend either making guardian SLFs immune to phasing damage, or significantly boosting their hull integrity so that they don’t die before losing a single shield ring.
Furthermore, we recommend giving each guardian SLF two heatsink launchers.

Note: Two unengineered heatsink launchers come with a total of 6 heatsinks - which (at 10 seconds per sink) afford an SLF a total time-on-target of 60 seconds; which is decent but not overpowered.

Note2: We further believe that, after this fix, Guardian SLFs will benefit from additional balance changes but, given how unusable they currently are, we don’t have enough experience/data to propose further adjustments until the above changes are implemented.

Summary: AXI believes Guardian SLFs are useless. Changes: Make Guardian SLFs immune to phasing damage/have significantly more hull, give them two banks of heat sinks.

This is the most profound and annoying persistent myth perpetuated by AXI. Fighters are not useless.

Firstly, the outright incorrect; guardian fighters do NOT die instantly to the interceptors. In fact, interceptors outright will not target them. This is okay, because interceptors would quickly take them down, rendering them useless. This does, however, leave interceptors unfairly vulnerable to SLFs, which otherwise would never die.

This is where the swarms come in. Swarms DO attack SLFs, and quickly take them down. This is what AXI pilots have seen. This, however, is not a flaw, but a necessity, and even an advantage, in the right circumstances. Swarms will persistently pursue fighters, even out to great ranges. This gives human pilots the ability to bait and distract the swarm for prolonged periods of time. When piloted by an NPC, by contrast, the swarm will very quickly kill the fighter. This, too, is okay; most AX SLFs have relatively small ammo pools. If the fighter doesn't die, the player will be forced to manually turn off their fighter bay to destroy it, as slowing down to let it dock is almost always going to be impossible.

Once the swarm is destroyed, another SLF can be deployed, and it quickly proves its value; in my testing, the Gauss SLF was able to, on its own, piloted by an NPC, exert the heart of a Cyclops in under 20 seconds, and the heart of a Basilisk in approximately one minute. It couldn't exert a Medusa, but it did essentially counteract its regeneration, and it more than halved the regeneration on a Hydra.

This is a very balanced amount of damage for what is essentially a fifth hardpoint, something normally never available. Not only that, but a fifth hardpoint requiring no ammo, heat management, or distributor power. Buffing them as AXI have proposed would vastly boost their DPS and make the gauss fighters extremely powerful, far beyond necessity.

The other two fighters, however, do suffer from a lack of utility. This is, in large part, due to the fact that they miss so regularly. The Shard Cannon fighter would be more than worth it if it were able to use its significant DPS to take down shields faster and do burst damage to help exert hearts - if it could hit. However, it cannot do so. The plasma cannon fighter is even worse in this regard.

Rather than giving them heat sinks, I'd like to propose that the Plasma Repeater fighter be given a small Flak Cannon. Being the only guardian fighter with unlimited ammo, it needs the opportunity to take advantage of its potential longer deployment time; being able to take down swarms on its own would be a huge benefit.

The Shard Cannon fighter simply needs higher projectile velocity and greater range, to help it hit its targets more regularly. In tandem with this, giving it a Shutdown Field Neutralizer would also be a nice perk.

The Gauss Cannon fighter does not need changes, other than fixing the bug where it only fires one out of three gauss cannons at a time.

The one universal change that fighters DO need is an immunity or heavy resistance to the caustic clouds on thargoid death, especially the ones from Scouts. These are often invisible and quickly destroy any fighter, so they're not a good or engaging mechanic.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how applicable it is in the grand scheme of the game anyway. The current thargoid implementation seems like a steppingstone or placeholder. I would assume Frontier intend to do more with it, if they can get around to it. We'll see. 🤷‍♂️

Either way, cheers for the write-up. I can appreciate your interest even if I don't quite share it.

Last edited:
Firstly, the outright incorrect; guardian fighters do NOT die instantly to the interceptors. In fact, interceptors outright will not target them. This is okay, because interceptors would quickly take them down, rendering them useless.

If you tried fighting thargoids in an SLF, you would know that interceptors very much target both guardian and non-guardian SLF’s. For the future I suggest testing it yourself and then backing it up with video evidence before going on an AXI exposing spree. Not an AXI member myself, btw, just pointing a finger at your complete lack of experience in the matters and factual mistakes, which stem from that.

10:30 mark demonstrates that interceptors target and shoot SLF.

I miss a little bit of KISS in this proposal...

With the new weapons thargoid combat has already changed a lot. These new weapons are much much better. (If this kind of better is 'better' is yet to be seen)

If you tried fighting thargoids in an SLF, you would know that interceptors very much target both guardian and non-guardian SLF’s. For the future I suggest testing it yourself and then backing it up with video evidence before going on an AXI exposing spree. Not an AXI member myself, btw, just pointing a finger at your complete lack of experience in the matters and factual mistakes, which stem from that.

I can attest to this. Its a pain really, though sometimes they are fast enough to not get whacked instantly. I suck at the flak guns so its the only way I fight the interceptors. Therefore I have a lot of practice using the fighters as swarm distraction (which ends up with a lot of tanking on my part). I have one video I posted where I fight the interceptor with a fighter. You can see several times she gets immediately whacked but not always.

Since I just said I use fighters when fighting interceptors, you know I'm not an AXI person.

My concern with the proposed changes is that its put together by people for which this feature is now "too easy" and it will just increase difficulty for no good reason.

Last edited:

That's interesting, because I fought literally hundreds of thargoids, using SLFs every time, and I have never seen this Behavior. It's possible it's out of date.

In fact, not only have I never seen this Behavior, I have actively killed cyclopses single-handedly with a fighter and never been attacked by anything but the swarm.

Plus, how could I possibly have let the fighter solo exert a basilisk heart if the Basilisk ever attacked the fighter? It wouldn't be possible, but I've done it multiple times.

Last edited:
Okay, after some further testing, I've found that thargoids WILL attack fighters in very specific circumstances; namely, if their aggro has been reset and nothing else has attacked them yet. This most often happens right at the start of a fight, but can happen in a few other niche scenarios, as well.

However, once an actual player ship begins to fire on them, the agro will shift to that player, regardless of how much damage is being dealt. From that point forwards, I was not able to get the thargoid to switch targets, even when I was 10km away and the fighter was shooting constantly, even when I had only tagged the thargoid with a beam laser.

Essentially, outside of extremely specific niche scenarios, the interceptor itself will never attack fighters. So while the technical level may be different, I do believe the spirit holds true.

Out of curiosity, I decided to actually test the claim in the document that boosting their shields or health, or making them immune to phasing damage, would have a substantial impact. I attacked a medusa(to draw primary fire to myself) and then deployed a Taipan fighter. From the moment the swarm first started damaging it to the time it died was a under 2 seconds(admittedly, it happened so fast it was hard to perfectly time).

Which, to be fair, IS an improvement...but not, imo, a meaningful one. That's still just a single pass through a swarm, so essentially, the actual effect on gameplay isn't substantial.

It seems strange to me that nobody mentions it and is the only one who wants the changes that I am going to mention below:

Due to the location of the weapons, the limitation of 4 ax weapons and only having fixed, the ships cannot deploy their full power, I explain it in more detail below:

1st: Only fixed: Because of this many ships are useless against AX combat because they have widely separated weapons (Example: Clipper, cutter) so you can only attack with 1 or 2 weapons at a time, which is demoralizing. My solution: add gimballed and turret versions to existing weapons.

2nd: Gunner limitation for turret versions: Currently, if one joins the multi-crew in combat ax, the role is useless, since the gunners cannot target modules since combat ax demands it. My solution: Eliminate the need for the role of the gunner and pass control of the turrets to the pilot who can target modules.

3rd: Limitation of 4 ax weapons: It is demoralizing to carry one of the big 3 and that you can only use a tiny part of its full potential, I see it unfair since the thargoids attack with everything. My solution: Remove this limitation and allow the ships to unfold their full potential.

I'm going to put 2 examples of the 3 points together:
Corvette with 6 gimballed gauss cannon vs. cyclops, the first barrage would end with 1 heart at once.

Type-10 with 7 ax turrent multicannon brrrrrrr time.

Thargoid stuff is like an entirely different game to me and from my experiecne in ED I doubt I'd ever bother trying it. To me it's just another pointless grindloop. Connected to some obsure story but I'd have to grind the crap out of it to learn that story. No thx.

Thargoid stuff is like an entirely different game to me and from my experiecne in ED I doubt I'd ever bother trying it. To me it's just another pointless grindloop. Connected to some obsure story but I'd have to grind the crap out of it to learn that story. No thx.
What do you think you'd have to grind? All you'd need to unlock would be the meta Guardian Gauss Cannon. You wouldn't need the small one, just the size 2. The unlock requirements are:
(Copied from Inara). None of those are very onerous, but if you didn't even want to do that you could try with off-the-shelf AX weapons like in the old pre-Guardian days.

There are other Guardian modules which are nice to have, but none of them are essential to get into AX combat. Everything else, all the other AX equipment, is for sale for credits. A good starter ship is a Krait mk2 with tough hull and some HRPs and MRPs. No rank is needed to purchase that ship.

OK, I know there's a school of thought that there should be no unlock requirements at all; anyone should be able to jump in and play. I happen to disagree with that; I think progression is good in a game like this.

All you need is the same kind of build for High CZs with some AX/Guardian weapons strapped on.

Gathering the bits & bobs for Gauss Cannons can be done in an afternoon.

Guardian Module Reinforcements are also handy.

It’s pretty easy to get into.

It seems strange to me that nobody mentions it and is the only one who wants the changes that I am going to mention below:

Due to the location of the weapons, the limitation of 4 ax weapons and only having fixed, the ships cannot deploy their full power, I explain it in more detail below:

1st: Only fixed: Because of this many ships are useless against AX combat because they have widely separated weapons (Example: Clipper, cutter) so you can only attack with 1 or 2 weapons at a time, which is demoralizing. My solution: add gimballed and turret versions to existing weapons.

2nd: Gunner limitation for turret versions: Currently, if one joins the multi-crew in combat ax, the role is useless, since the gunners cannot target modules since combat ax demands it. My solution: Eliminate the need for the role of the gunner and pass control of the turrets to the pilot who can target modules.

3rd: Limitation of 4 ax weapons: It is demoralizing to carry one of the big 3 and that you can only use a tiny part of its full potential, I see it unfair since the thargoids attack with everything. My solution: Remove this limitation and allow the ships to unfold their full potential.

I'm going to put 2 examples of the 3 points together:
Corvette with 6 gimballed gauss cannon vs. cyclops, the first barrage would end with 1 heart at once.

Type-10 with 7 ax turrent multicannon brrrrrrr time.
1) The cutter is far from useless, its actually regarded as the best large ship for fighting thargoids. And the clipper is just a sad boy entirely.

2)True, and it makes me sad and i would alter your suggestion to allowing the pilot to disable the gunner role entierly as an option in the game

3) I like the limitation because it does require you to have skill

Out of curiosity, I decided to actually test the claim in the document that boosting their shields or health, or making them immune to phasing damage, would have a substantial impact.
I think a lot of that sentiment just stems from the sheer incredulity people feel regarding how Frontier released paper-hull fighters to combat an enemy that deals phasing damage (or a ship that can only face tank vs an enemy that deals hundreds of DPS plus status effects if you sit still). The few times I've tried fighters they often were already damaged before they even finished launching thanks to all the projectiles flying around. And the Thargoids are accurate enough vs even such a small target that I don't think an anti-phasing buff would make enough of a difference. Fighters just aren't great at the job in general.

I think a lot of that sentiment just stems from the sheer incredulity people feel regarding how Frontier released paper-hull fighters to combat an enemy that deals phasing damage (or a ship that can only face tank vs an enemy that deals hundreds of DPS plus status effects if you sit still). The few times I've tried fighters they often were already damaged before they even finished launching thanks to all the projectiles flying around. And the Thargoids are accurate enough vs even such a small target that I don't think an anti-phasing buff would make enough of a difference. Fighters just aren't great at the job in general.

I think they're pretty good already. Here's a video I made of my fighter solo-exerting a basilisk.

It's not a perfect example; the fighter missed a few times, and my orbit was funky due to me not having played in a few months since odyssey dropped, resulting in reduced fighter DPS, but it conveys the general idea.

Against a Medusa, it can't exert, but it CAN dramatically multiply the amount of time you have to regain a good position without losing all your progress. Without the fighter, drift out of your orbit for more than a few seconds and you're back to square one. With a fighter, you can go out for like ten times as long.

The other fighters don't do as much DPS, and I'm against buffing their DPS, because there will always be one fighter that does the most DPS. I'd much rather see the other fighters given utilities that would make them viable alternatives for other reasons.

That's why I'd like to see the Plasma fighter be given a small Flak Launcher with 6-10 ammo, and the Shard fighter be given a Field Neutralizer. These wouldn't work without players in them, but with the new world of 4x multicrew, and hopeful accompanying fixes, now is the perfect time to add functionality based around those things. Plus, skillful players could potentially swap into the fighters briefly to use them.

Top Bottom