Discussion Thread #4 - What is your favourite biome to create for?

I love the tropical biome because the colors are very vibrant, and I love the tropical dirt color and texture. My next pick would be temperate because it's kind of the middle of everything - lots of animals from colder to warmer climates can thrive in open spaces with minor adjustments, of course. I wish the tundra biome would have been a bit more friendlier to build in. You can't really see anything because as soon as you put it down, it gets covered in snow. You can't even see paths properly, and it's just totally unrealistic to put heaters everywhere just so you can build. I think I would pick tundra more often if it wasn't so hard to look at and build in.

I wish we could mix and match terrain paints with biomes, and I also agree with posters who have said we should be able to pick backgrounds.

I guess im kinda cheating here, because i dont really care for the map backgrounds and stuff, but i must say, mixing the temperate and taiga plants, especally from europe and asia, has become by far my favorite plant pallete to use. I still like building tropical houses and stuff, but nothing goes over the feeling of a beautiful old oak forest, the ground litterd with brumble and bearberry bushes, (sunken in) beech and oak sapplings, fern and nettles poking out between rocks and other bushes, gentle browns and greens for the ground and some pretty smaller trees like beech, elm (god i love the elm tree), maple trees, common ashes or maybe some pines and willows?

I just simply love how well they are all done, making me feel like im actually going into a forest.
And i cant wait to see what a hopefully not to distant europe dlc could add, like hazelnut trees, yew trees, laburnum or maybe just some sweet little lavender? I honestly cant wait, but in a good way 😁

I feel like many people underestimate how majestic and beautiful our temperate forests can be, and honestly even in game they can be breath taking.
I mean just look at that! Look at that lighting, thats absolutly amazing btw, great job frontier, it makes this little scene just look so amazing. I love it.
From the mighty oak to the mossy rocks to just thenettle and brumble bushes, i adore everything about the temperate biome. Honestly frontier, absolutly great job, the rest is cool and well made too, but damn you guys really nailed the temperate foliage so so hard, it brings me joy everytime i look at it.
1632300671022.jpeg

I've had fun creating underwater tunnels and viewing windows too.

Overall, I like the versatility of the temperate biome template, and its not being too hot or too cold for a large number of species. Though I really liked the way some of my desert habitats turned out too.

I wish it were possible to (maybe for extra expense to be more realistic) do the equivalent of lugging in topsoil to create microhabitats that mimic certain biomes within a zoo built in a different biome. For instance, if I have a temperate zoo, but want to create a desert enclosure for my fennics or a savanna grassland enclosure for my lions, it would be nice to be able to use the soil and grass types available for those biomes. It looks weird for my fennics or meerkats to be in an enclosure with lush tropical or temperate soil and grass.

Last edited:
I love the tropical biome because the colors are very vibrant, and I love the tropical dirt color and texture. My next pick would be temperate because it's kind of the middle of everything - lots of animals from colder to warmer climates can thrive in open spaces with minor adjustments, of course. I wish the tundra biome would have been a bit more friendlier to build in. You can't really see anything because as soon as you put it down, it gets covered in snow. You can't even see paths properly, and it's just totally unrealistic to put heaters everywhere just so you can build. I think I would pick tundra more often if it wasn't so hard to look at and build in.

I wish we could mix and match terrain paints with biomes, and I also agree with posters who have said we should be able to pick backgrounds.
The sole use for the ice path is that it doesn't get covered by snow when you use it. I use it to build my pathways, then switch it out for a different path (that will disappear) when I'm done. I like the snow covered look of the paths but, yeah, it's impossible to build with them.

The sole use for the ice path is that it doesn't get covered by snow when you use it. I use it to build my pathways, then switch it out for a different path (that will disappear) when I'm done. I like the snow covered look of the paths but, yeah, it's impossible to build with them.

I didn't know that, thanks for the useful tip!

I love to use the ice path in polar domes.

My favorites are temperate and tropical.

I love the colour theme for tropical, it seems to fit just about any biome.

And temperate has the perfect temperature range for all the animals (except those that live in extreme climates)

Rainforest, I love rainforests so making a realistic rainforest for okapi and tapirs is my favourite thing to do.

It certainly depends on the theme of the zoo. For instance if I were to build a zoo with a deep river valley I might want to make a jungle scene with hills and lots of trees and such so tropical would be it. If I were to build a stately old world zoo I would look toward temperate. And of course making a great north zoo I would look to taiga and tundra. Grasslands are great for that safari park as well. Dessert is not so great though. To much heat for guest and animals means lots of work managing the air.

Top Bottom