Distant Stars & FSD

At ~250c it still takes a very long time to get to stars that are a significant distance from their parent (10s of thousands of LS). It's far from entertaining to alt-tab from the game and wait for 5, 10 minutes while you (relatively) slowly approach a location.

I'd suggest increasing the maximum speed in supercruise to a larger number, or allowing short FSD jumps (though lore says no on that iirc). As a game, Elite does need to balance between simulation and being a game. Hurry up and wait isn't terribly good in this situation.

At ~250c it still takes a very long time to get to stars that are a significant distance from their parent (10s of thousands of LS). It's far from entertaining to alt-tab from the game and wait for 5, 10 minutes while you (relatively) slowly approach a location.

I'd suggest increasing the maximum speed in supercruise to a larger number, or allowing short FSD jumps (though lore says no on that iirc). As a game, Elite does need to balance between simulation and being a game. Hurry up and wait isn't terribly good in this situation.

Quite a few people have suggested the same. FD have made it clear it won't happen Maybe the best thing is to change the way you think about it. So it is less irritating.
For me it is the peaceful time when I can admire the view, work out my next route, do a bit of routine maintenance. Before the next batch of excitement.
If you allow this to [cause slight but persistent annoyance, discomfort, or anxiety]* you ,it will only get worse. As the saying goes. "Lie back and think of England" It will soon be over. ;)

* The filter even censors letters in links.

Last edited:
I've travelled 2 hours to a planet from the star in the past.
I like it, realisum

Means you have to plot plan your route before you go.

My point fits into the idea that if any player has to do a little math, set a timer, then come back 5, 10 minutes later to the game, something is wrong with how the game is designed. To effectively stop playing the game, in the name of "realism" is far less engaging than, say, requiring your pilot to stock food or use the bathroom, neither of which the game asks you to manage.

You are never forced to go to any of those places. Making it quick to get there only destroys any remaining sense of scale, don't ask for having something removed for no gain.

It is, it hasn't been mentioned yet but max speed in SC is 2001c, and no not many people actually reach that speed. The thing is, and it has been mentioned, you don't have to do that, you don't have to go there, you don't have to explore that distant star or distant planet. That distant star or planet is there for a reason. They could indeed increase the speed of SC if they so had a mind, but it wouldn't silence the players who want to be able to jump in hyperspace to that same star you want to get to a little bit quicker, or indeed jump directly to that station you don't mind flying to because it only takes a few minutes.

The flying, the SC, the travel is an integral part of the game, it wouldn't be the same game without it. Without it you wouldn't need to decide if you wanted to explore that distant star and planets, you wouldn't need to decide if you wanted to take that delivery mission to Hutton Orbital, it would just be the same as every other SC trip you do to every other station, and to be honest that would just be plain boring for a lot of people. It would just become a spread sheet of delivery missions. There are plenty of missions and trips that don't require travelling a long way, and there are missions and trips that do, so people have a choice.

There are plenty of features and aspects of other games I find boring, I don't do those bits, I do the bits I enjoy, but I wouldn't see the point of demanding it be changed because it would be destroying that aspect of the game for the people who did enjoy it, and I don't see why I should do that.

I think the acceleration curve at the 200-500 range needs to be bumped up a bit, so once I'm away from nearby bodies and heading toward distant locations I should get up to speed faster i.e. 1000+

Another thing is I should be able to chose what star in a multi star system to jump to, even if it requires additional plotting to override the "main" star lock.

I think the acceleration curve at the 200-500 range needs to be bumped up a bit, so once I'm away from nearby bodies and heading toward distant locations I should get up to speed faster i.e. 1000+

Another thing is I should be able to chose what star in a multi star system to jump to, even if it requires additional plotting to override the "main" star lock.

Indeed this.

Or, some kind of option to upgrade the FSD to do in-system mini jumps to stars. And for those of us that really enjoy those really long tedious journeys; they can avoid the temptation to buy/upgrade an FSD. :) The point is: there are plenty of players whom would love to move things along a lot quicker. We don't have a 30-minute wait in hyperspace, and if we did how many of us would be happy with that? So why in hell should there be such a heavy restriction with the FSD.

Last edited:
Why do some people always want a easy button in everything they do? I dont go into other games and tell them to change their lore for my convenience just because I'm lazy and need instant gratification for everything I do.

FSD navigation locks onto the biggest mass star in the system. That is why you can't select just a random mini star in a system before you jump.

Also if this ever did become a thing. All those nice paying long haul LS missions (Passenger, Cargo, Data) would only get pennies on the dollar.

Last thing if this ever did happen I would more then likely leave the game and so would probably majority of the fan base, because we play this for some of these aspects that give the world space actual some depth to massive size of it.

I wouldn't mind increasing the acceleration speed a little, but mini jumps would just kill it for me.

Lestat

Banned
My point fits into the idea that if any player has to do a little math, set a timer, then come back 5, 10 minutes later to the game, something is wrong with how the game is designed. To effectively stop playing the game, in the name of "realism" is far less engaging than, say, requiring your pilot to stock food or use the bathroom, neither of which the game asks you to manage.
Or learn to be smart. Ask your self this. Is the distance worth the reward? If it not worth the reward then don't accept the mission or don't explore the system. Remember Laziness is not a skill. While using common Sense is a skill.

Or learn to be smart. Ask your self this. Is the distance worth the reward? If it not worth the reward then don't accept the mission or don't explore the system. Remember Laziness is not a skill. While using common Sense is a skill.

Missions aren't the only reason to travel far distances.

If you're out exploring an unknown star system, how can you know if the destination is worth it before you've travelled the full distance?

The current discovery scanner does not allow you to view a surface map until you are within DSS range. If it didn't have this restriction, at least explorers would have a reason to travel such a long distance to see an unusual planet.

Either way, I would like to see a practical intra-system travel solution that doesn't infringe on those players who like the long distance travel. Perhaps a star needs to be a minimum distance away for it to be viable (e.g. 100,000 Ls)?

Right now, the only incentive to travel a long distance is for missions. And if you are suggesting people just don't take long distance missions in the first place, then... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Right now, the only incentive to travel a long distance is for missions. And if you are suggesting people just don't take long distance missions in the first place, then... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why does there need to be an incentive for everything? You go, or you don't go.

People climb Everest all the time and there's no 'incentive' to do that - nobody gives you a cookie when you get the top.

Last thing if this ever did happen I would more then likely leave the game and so would probably majority of the fan base, because we play this for some of these aspects that give the world space actual some depth to massive size of it.

I wouldn't mind increasing the acceleration speed a little, but mini jumps would just kill it for me.

Agreed. In fact I think I remember reading somewhere that in one of the early test builds they had mini-jumps, to stations and alternative stars but they were removed because they essentially made the game....boring. I enjoy the distance, I enjoy it when I jump into a system and see all the nearby objects tagged, but that star and planets 450,000ls away isn't because it's to far...for them! :D

Yes mini jumps would make exploring those star systems quicker, but whoever said exploration is about getting things done as fast as possible. I have spent as much as a week on a single moon for some projects. As for mini jumping for deliveries and other missions, no, they need to be priced according to distance needed to travel certainly, but that gives a choice of taking the long trip for a big payout or taking a lot of smaller trips. Simply, if it's to far for you to travel, then don't.

Oh and as for saying as someone did once, oh they can put mini jumps in...but people who don't like mini-jumps don't have to use them. Hey they can put insta-kill guns in for people who don't like all that fighting and want to get kills quickly, but if you don't like insta-kill guns don't use them, comes to the same thing in the end. It essentially destroys part of the game for those who enjoy that part for people who can't be bothered putting time and effort into it.

Why does there need to be an incentive for everything? You go, or you don't go.

People climb Everest all the time and there's no 'incentive' to do that - nobody gives you a cookie when you get the top.

Pretty sure everyone who has ever scaled Everest had an incentive to do so, even if it wasn’t always the same incentive.

Oh and as for saying as someone did once, oh they can put mini jumps in...but people who don't like mini-jumps don't have to use them. Hey they can put insta-kill guns in for people who don't like all that fighting and want to get kills quickly, but if you don't like insta-kill guns don't use them, comes to the same thing in the end. It essentially destroys part of the game for those who enjoy that part for people who can't be bothered putting time and effort into it.

You’re suggesting that people who don’t have as much free time as you are somehow less deserving of playing the game. Tell me - what skill is involved in flying in a straight line for an hour?

Also, hyperbole is never a good way to argue your case. You’re suggesting that adding a means to hop between stars over a certain distance is equivalent to an insta-kill button on weapons?

Please...

You’re suggesting that people who don’t have as much free time as you are somehow less deserving of playing the game. Tell me - what skill is involved in flying in a straight line for an hour?
Maybe the skill is picking the right mission. [yesnod]
Looking at the system map of of your target system lill give you an idea of the interplanataey distance you might have to trave. If there is no available data and the rewards are large. That should ring alarm bells.

To me it looks like FD has ballanced (or at least attempted to) missions to accomidate people with different amounts of free time.

Also, hyperbole is never a good way to argue your case. You’re suggesting that adding a means to hop between stars over a certain distance is equivalent to an insta-kill button on weapons?

Please...

IMO not "equivalent" but "similar". A way to "dumb down" the game to make it easier.

Thank you...

Maybe the skill is picking the right mission. [yesnod]

How does this help explorers who haven't selected any missions?

Like I said earlier:

IMO not "equivalent" but "similar". A way to "dumb down" the game to make it easier.

How will this make it easier? And how would it negatively impact the way you play the game right now?

Top Bottom