DLC18 discussion and predictions

Man, i just want a duck
Im not even picky, give me aby of the 30+ duck species that are common place in zoos and ill be happy and a okay with them
I’m in the same boat, I’ve been wanting a duck for years. Kind of getting a bit miffed that may only be through mods. Ducks are fairly popular animals, and are also popular with kids, pet owners, and birders alike.

My main driving force has been the WFWD, but that’s mostly through my love of tropical houses and mixed species habitats. But tbh I will happily take any duck or waterfowl species, though getting a species from the tropics would fill a niche the mute swan can’t fill.

IMG_7815_Original.jpeg

This is a photo from the Bronx Zoo tropical house, which I can honestly almost recreate in game. Besides the langur, and to tie this in with ducks, there were tropical ducks swimming along the bottom. You can see some resting in the bottom right. Besides being a cool representation of mixed species habitats, they also help flesh out a build even more. Instead of just a large water feature, it is now also home to ducks!

It isn’t just ducks, though with the mute swan my desire for waterfowl has grown even more. It’s awesome all the hoofstock we have, but sometimes I want to build something else? Like make a beaver habitat with wood ducks, or have some mandarin ducks live alongside some red pandas. Maybe by my grey seals I can have an eider or two. Maybe I just make a big meshed in aviary with a whole bunch of waterfowl species. Finally, like I keep on saying, I make a tropical house and by my tapirs, Pygmy hippos, or capybaras I have a whistling duck.

This does extend to other birds too. This is more than me just being a bird lover, I’m just frustrated that in a building game for animals I am limited in what I want to do. Which is the same issue I have had with this game since launch. No grey crowned crane, no pelicans, no rhea, and certainly no ducks. But it is very important we get the saiga, which is barley in captivity, another black Asian bear species, and a collection of domestics that aren’t even super common in zoos.

I might take a break from the forum from a couple days, I just feel like I’m talking in circles. I also really don’t want to make people feel bad for liking animals. Maybe I’ll drop by tomorrow if I change my mind. I know I can turn to mods, by why is it the animals that I like that are common in zoos must be modded in? The more I visit real zoos the more frustrated I get honestly. I just want to make something like this, and support the company who made my favorite game at the same time:

IMG_7742_Original.jpeg

This was in the bird world at the Bronx Zoo. While this contains only birds, the white faced whistling duck and African Pygmy goose are great mixed habitat animals and are exactly what I’m talking about.

Is what we want for pretty much any región. SA is basically the same minus the ungulates.
The extent is quite different though. Asides from South America, Asia requires more ungulates, monkeys, small carnivores, and birds than any other region. Especially birds, I reckon 75% of birds requested are Asian species.

The extent is quite different though. Asides from South America, Asia requires more ungulates, monkeys, small carnivores, and birds than any other region. Especially birds, I reckon 75% of birds requested are Asian species.
Secretary - África
Grey Crowned crane - África
Great White Pelican - Africa
Shoebill - Africa
Scarlet ibis - America
Roseatte spoonbill - América
Greater rhea - South America
American flamingo - South America
Mandarín duck - Asia
Golden pheasant - Asia

Those are the most wanted birds in the metawishlist (and the ones discuss the most) You could add some other (like guineafowl and himalayan monal or Victoria crowned pigeon) but still most birds requested are from África and América not Asia.

Secretary - África
Grey Crowned crane - África
Great White Pelican - Africa
Shoebill - Africa
Scarlet ibis - America
Roseatte spoonbill - América
Greater rhea - South America
American flamingo - South America
Mandarín duck - Asia
Golden pheasant - Asia

Those are the most wanted birds in the metawishlist (and the ones discuss the most) You could add some other (like guineafowl and himalayan monal or Victoria crowned pigeon) but still most birds requested are from África and América not Asia.
You reduced me to 50% haha but still my point stands. Asia has 3 birds in this list the same as Africa and a lot more than the other continental regions.

It's a matter of priorities rather than actual hate. Ungulates are extremely useful for realistic zoos but we don't really have enough primates or birds to fill up the rest of the zoo.
We also don’t have enough of the key Asian ungulates to fill a zoo. In the UK, Père David’s deer, blackbuck, lowland anoa, Visayan spotted deer, Arabian oryx, and banteng are pretty common. It’s reasonable to want them. Although I still want other animals

So we don’t actually hate ungulates that much, am I right?
I dont, im just kinda sick of them being all that we get it feels like. And there are still a couple i want, but the way we are bombarded with them in the last 1,5 years just made me loose appreciation and excitement for them.
Like if in an alternate reality we got like half of each pack being primates and the upcoming pack added guereza and howler ontop, meanwhile the only hoofstock we have in game are a giraffe and zebra i wouldnt be super happy about them, quite the opposite really id say "we have like 20 african primates already, why cant we get a single antelope for once?".

Last edited:
We also don’t have enough of the key Asian ungulates to fill a zoo. In the UK, Père David’s deer, blackbuck, lowland anoa, Visayan spotted deer, Arabian oryx, and banteng are pretty common. It’s reasonable to want them. Although I still want other animals
Yeah that's fair enough, I'm biased towards north American zoo builds which don't see near as many Asian ungulates as Europe. It would still be nice to have 1 or 2 more Asian ungulates but not a priority for me.

Back
Top Bottom