Do i have to the FPS stuff to get my Exploration suite engineered?

I wonder if I have to do the pew pew shyte to do proper exploration, aka to get the Artemis suite engineered.

I enjoyed ship combat but I don't need this Call of Duty stuff in ED. Well, ok, now it's there. So it is ok if you have to do it to improve your combat suits. But why have explorers to go through this half-baked pew pew thing?

I have been going to bases and restoring power (as missions) and seeing what I can poach whilst I am there, particularly if a low threat-level mission since no scavengers will be there. The commandos allied to the site will turn up after power is restored but they don't seem to scan you so you can make it back to your ship with data that you pinched from the data terminal in the main building.
For some missions there have been enemies that appear but I've just been parking really really close to the base and sneaking around and then nervously legging it back to my ship.

I guess I'll continue to do this in order to upgrade my suit without having to actually engage in violence with anyone - perhaps this is the key?

I should mention that these "power on" missions are under the "support" mission section. There's nothing quite like being on an empty base and restoring power and rifling through the containers and lockers on a base whilst stealing the samples and data (the samples take a while to open, so look out the window and keep an eye on the radar; you will also want to disable the alarms in the power building before doing this else there will be beepers and buzzers going off everywhere). Keep the authorisation scans enabled and you can prevent any enemies getting into the building you are in whilst you crouch and steal data / samples.

I wonder if I have to do the pew pew shyte to do proper exploration, aka to get the Artemis suite engineered.
As gibbotronic says, the main source of materials is salvage, which can be done entirely without combat ... and is best done entirely without combat, as you don't get any extra materials from shooting people

On the other hand, having done a bit of exobiology, there appears to be no obvious benefit to engineering the Artemis suit, and certainly not beyond the G3 you could buy a pre-engineered one at.

Top Bottom