Do you really need the headshot damage modification?

Headshot damage is essential in Foot PVP, for any laser/kinetics especially if fought against someone who uses same weapons. On plasma not as much needed. A lot of ppl dont use it at all, and they will have a big disadvantage in every times at direct fire exchange vs someone with headshot dmg and who can aim. If both loses shields at same time, the one with headshot dmg will win most of times. And thats why I usually easly won most of PVP encounters vs those who used same weps as me. I guess they didnt aim at my head at all or they aint had HSD like I did.

Headshot damage on a P-15 lets you cap unsuspecting fools with a single bullet. And as much as I like my plasma, with the kinetic there's no danger of the target casually walking away a week before the round gets there.
Oh ho ho. I hadn't checked the stats of a maxed out P-15 as the tormentor has always been my go-to sidearm. Will a G5 P15 with headshot damage take out guards in one go as well, or just workers?

All you need is the mighty Tormentor. It's either a 1or 2 shot kill, there's no other question about it. Everything else is for variety's sake. I've also taken a liking to the Karma AR-15. At G5 it unalives people in a few shots. With greater range, stability, and audio masking, I prefer it to the Executioner as a rooftop sniping weapon, which I haven't touched in MONTHS because those slow shots can just bleep themselves.

That said, plasma weapons could do with an RPM increasing mod. I want to love the Oppressor. I love its design, it looks so damn good. But man it just sucks. The only way I can even make it decent is by constantly tapping the trigger, to make it shoot just a little faster. I really feel like it should have been a "pulse" rifle type weaon like in Destiny 2 where it fires a quick 3-shot burst. It NEVER should have been full auto.

And while we're at it, railgun mod for the TK-Aphelion. Make it the sniper rifle it was meant to and WANTS to be.

I was sort of sad when it was removed from Battlefield, because I played almost exclusively as a sniper but as long as the targets drop I do not care about splatter. What I DO care about is shooting someone in the head with a .50 caliber round and their health dropping to 2% as they run away around a corner. Now THAT is some Bu115hlt. o7

Oh ho ho. I hadn't checked the stats of a maxed out P-15 as the tormentor has always been my go-to sidearm. Will a G5 P15 with headshot damage take out guards in one go as well, or just workers?
Yes it will. P-15 G5 with headshot dmg, will one shot any regular guard unshielded by headshot. Only npcs that can survive one shot are elites from high CZ, but its still take more than half of thier health from full. At PVP, a G5 dominator suit with dmg resist, it takes 3 shots to head to kill, wich after 2 headshots leaving with very litte health wich is same for dealing high CZ enforcers npcs. Even spaming health kits helps litte to nothing against well aimed p-15 headshots with HSD.

Thats why I prefer it over tormentor. It cannot be as easly avoided and at even High CZ, those dual tap headshots ends anything but enforcers if unshielded.

Two G5 aphelions: Stability - Mag size - HSD - stowed reload : Best thing about this setup, is that cannot be avoided, and stowed reload makes it even more OP as it allows constant full auto until both lasers have empty ammo.

P-15 : HSD - Mag size - Stability - Scope : its to deal with anything that survived laser spam and managed to close up a bit. Mostly one shot is enough to end them, as they dont have any more health kits and they are already critically wounded from lasers.

It work like a charm, especially in PVP. I dont think there is better setup for long to medium range for PVP. For upclose, there few better setups than this, but most of time, they wont even have a chance to get enough close.

Last edited:
We must remember any sniper weapon have 2 critical perks:
1 - damage
2 - bullet speed.
If any of those is below "meeh" that that is a useless weapon.
And the time a shot from the Executioner need to reach his target make that weapon less than useless, in her role. Indeed performs ok.ish at short/medium range, but for that we have the shotgun, 100x more effective !
I will change any day all the useless mods for executioner for just one - shot speed !

Workers and settlement guards up to 3 chevron. Headshot at G5 deals 12.3 kinetic with a single bullet.

I think it's is silly that head shot damage as a weapon mod is a substitute for shot placement having a more general effect.

Regardless, it has utility. If it's on a laser it goes along way to allowing the weapon to be used effectively after shields drop. If it's on a kinetic it's good for taking out guards before they get their shields up.

Haven't done enough PvP to get a real feel for it, but since I expect people to be able to aim if they are going after other CMDRs, I imagine it's much more useful here.

I bought a pre-modded/pre-engineered Karma AR-50 with Headshot Damage, and it comes in very handy. It has helped me kill a lot of NPC's quickly.

Edit. I think it would be even better with the Stability mod!

I bought a pre-modded/pre-engineered Karma AR-50 with Headshot Damage, and it comes in very handy. It has helped me kill a lot of NPC's quickly.

Domino will add it for you after a 100ly APEX trip. Easy peasy.

Steve 07.

Last edited:
Headshot damage on a P-15 lets you cap unsuspecting fools with a single bullet. And as much as I like my plasma, with the kinetic there's no danger of the target casually walking away a week before the round gets there.
LOL yeah that's true.

It is, AR-50 at G5 with stabilty/mag size/HSD its top tier weapon. For kinetics, stabilty(allows maintain high accuracy on full auto at distance) and HSD(3x times greater dmg instead of 2x) is must have due of being most usefull on on this type of weps. Mag size is important too, having more bullets per magazine (60 instead of 40) really set it apart compared to other combination of perks. This perk combo is best for AR-50, C-44 and P-15, and again, it makes PVE a lot much more easier, and it will give always edge at PVP against those who uses diffrent perks instead, on those weapons. Laser full-auto benefits from it as well.

Final slot can be anything you prefer, I use scope to further enchance my headshot ability with it, and it helps dealing with more distant targets. But stowed reloading(only if other main has it too, makes more sense), faster handling or faster reloading all are viable options too for this weapon.

Two G5 aphelions: Stability - Mag size - HSD - stowed reload : Best thing about this setup, is that cannot be avoided, and stowed reload makes it even more OP as it allows constant full auto until both lasers have empty ammo.
How about greater range for the Aphelion? Considering hitscan and instant travel time, an increase in range seems really useful (unlike for the plasma weapons). Maybe put it instead of stability? And speaking of stability, how critical is it for the Aphelion?

Also, scope? Or are the other mods more useful?

Final question, what are your mod suggestions for a PVP suit?

How about greater range for the Aphelion? Considering hitscan and instant travel time, an increase in range seems really useful (unlike for the plasma weapons). Maybe put it instead of stability? And speaking of stability, how critical is it for the Aphelion?

Also, scope? Or are the other mods more useful?

Final question, what are your mod suggestions for a PVP suit?
G5 does 4.7 dmg wich is biggest dmg of all assalut rifles but without HSD, it aint does any extra dmg by headshot. Greater range is not really that much usefull on this weapon as 70m is long distance already (3nd highest base range of all, its more than enough), dmg falloff dont seem like big (its small), and with HSD instead, you will be able to get higher dmg (after shields are done afta few hits even at max range), even after 70m, than with greater range, if you aim at head, even at target at very end of laser range at 150m.

For targets that are like at maximum laser range(150m), you need maybe one more hit, to kill thier shields without GR, and im my opinion, for this mod is overrated for sure that weapon...

Stablity works wonders. It allows to full auto, even at targets at max range at 150, you can keep aim at head (without it, you will have to correct after each shot, makes full auto more difficult to do at full ranges), and no matter how well they move or dodge, unless they hide behind something, they wont be able to dodge it. Thats where strength of dual twin G5 aphelion setup is that uses both stowed reload. You can spam that laser, almost as if it would be LMG, as when first lasers runs of its 38 shots, you change to second laser, full auto that another 38 mag, and you can continue until both lasers runs of ammo, and it lasts for quite long time. G5 HSD P-15 helps dealing with more closer targets if they manage to get closer.

Scope helps with aiming those more distant targets, but its not really "must" have like HSD, stability, mag size. Stowed reloading is good too, but only if used with "Twin" setup.

So yeah, I use two varaints of aphelion, of total 3 g5 I have, of this wep.

For mixed combo, with kinetics or if there is no second main wep; HSD, Stability, mag size, Scope.

For "twin" with 2 same G5 aphelions as main; HSD, Stability, mag size, Stowed reload.

My 2 main PVP/PVE dominator suits either those two ones;

First: Jump assist, Extra battery, Extra ammo, Night vision.

Second: Dmg reduction, Extra battery, Extra ammo, Night vision.

Those are almost same, one is "mobility" focused, while other is "armored" focused.

I change them on depend if I would like to stay mobile, and jump assists helps a lot with that (you much more evasive and able to climb buldings faster, well as faster parkour too) but sometimes better to have dmg reduction instead, especially for direct fire exchanges, as this small diffrence at dmg taken can allow to come at top during fire exchanges.

Rest of mods are "must have", NV is standard on all my suits, as I like to hang out all over bubble, and it dont matter if its night or not (flashlight gives also your position at night during PVP). Extra battery allows to not recharge as often, and its always good to have extra ammo, as not always you are next to crate, and you dont wanna have a situation where you ran of ammo, and you cant refill it.

Last edited:
Thanks for an excellent writeup!
G5 does 4.7 dmg wich is biggest dmg of all assalut rifles but without HSD, it aint does any extra dmg by headshot. Greater range is not really that much usefull on this weapon as 70m is long distance already (3nd highest base range of all, its more than enough), dmg falloff dont seem like big (its small), and with HSD instead, you will be able to get higher dmg (after shields are done afta few hits even at max range), even after 70m, than with greater range, if you aim at head, even at target at very end of laser range at 150m.

For targets that are like at maximum laser range(150m), you need maybe one more hit, to kill thier shields without GR, and im my opinion, for this mod is overrated for sure that weapon...

Yeah I can see the logic, the on-foot weapon mods work differently than ship weapon mods (e.g. with ships, long range on lasers gives you a huge boost in effective range, and greatly speeds up projectiles, but considering the short max range on the laser rifle and its relatively minor falloff, the on-foot version of this mod seems much less valuable).

Stablity works wonders. It allows to full auto, even at targets at max range at 150, you can keep aim at head (without it, you will have to correct after each shot, makes full auto more difficult to do at full ranges), and no matter how well they move or dodge, unless they hide behind something, they wont be able to dodge it. Thats where strength of dual twin G5 aphelion setup is that uses both stowed reload. You can spam that laser, almost as if it would be LMG, as when first lasers runs of its 38 shots, you change to second laser, full auto that another 38 mag, and you can continue until both lasers runs of ammo, and it lasts for quite long time. G5 HSD P-15 helps dealing with more closer targets if they manage to get closer.

I'm wary of the Stability mod after putting it on my G5 Tormentor and seeing exactly zero difference in ADS mode. Since we can't remove/replace mods, one has to be absolutely certain that a mod is working properly before putting it on a G5 weapon.

Scope helps with aiming those more distant targets, but its not really "must" have like HSD, stability, mag size.
Does scope improve long-range accuracy for the Aphelion in any way, or is it always pixel-perfect?

Stowed reloading is good too, but only if used with "Twin" setup.
I love stowed reloading for CZ, have it on all three weapons in my PVE CZ setup (dual L-6 + Torm). With the Dominator's double main weapons, stowed is almost a given.

So yeah, I use two varaints of aphelion, of total 3 g5 I have, of this wep.

For mixed combo, with kinetics or if there is no second main wep; HSD, Stability, mag size, Scope.
Why use HSD on the laser in a laser-kinetic combo, IIRC the headshot bonus does not appy against shielded targets?

For "twin" with 2 same G5 aphelions as main; HSD, Stability, mag size, Stowed reload.

At this point I have one G5 Aphelion with HSD, was thinking about crafting an AR-50, but your post made me ponder the dual Aphelion setup; the hitscan is very inviting, but the huge laser resistance of G5 Doms is putting me off: a kinetic weapon would be doing almost 4x the damage of a laser against the armor. The AR-50 has the same original DPS output as the Aphelion (25), and twice as much headshot bonus (2x unmodded, 3x modded), which amounts to almost 8x more damage on headshots. Does hitscan really compensate for such a huge DPS difference?

My 2 main PVP/PVE dominator suits either those two ones;

First: Jump assist, Extra battery, Extra ammo, Night vision.
My exact Dominator build! Great for PVE CZs, amazing endurance and flexibility.

Second: Dmg reduction, Extra battery, Extra ammo, Night vision.
Those are almost same, one is "mobility" focused, while other is "armored" focused.
Personally I found the damage reduction mod to make very little sense for PVE, since the only times you're in real danger of being knocked out is when due to a mistake in positioning you're surrounded and focused by a group of enemies. -10% incoming damage doesn't make a difference there (while jump could save your butt by breaking LOS quickly). However, PVP is in a different ballpark, so would you say it's really a big benefit to have dmg reduction rather than jump for PVP scenarios?

Rest of mods are "must have", NV is standard on all my suits, as I like to hang out all over bubble, and it dont matter if its night or not (flashlight gives also your position at night during PVP).
Absolutely agree, NV is great for stealth (also btw the shield can give you away...), and it gives much longer visual range to identify targets than flashlight.

Extra battery allows to not recharge as often, and its always good to have extra ammo, as not always you are next to crate, and you dont wanna have a situation where you ran of ammo, and you cant refill it.
If I understand correctly, Extra battery not only makes your energy reserves last longer, but they are also replenished faster (since the speed of recharging to 100% remains the same, however for Extra battery 100% is actually 150%, so it's 1.5x faster).

Anyway, thanks again for a very informative post (y)

Does scope improve long-range accuracy for the Aphelion in any way, or is it always pixel-perfect?
(...)
If I understand correctly, Extra battery not only makes your energy reserves last longer, but they are also replenished faster (since the speed of recharging to 100% remains the same, however for Extra battery 100% is actually 150%, so it's 1.5x faster).
There seems to be a little bit of jitter on the Aphelion, but I found it hard to determine if this is purely visual or actually affects accuracy.

And maybe I remember incorrectly because I've had Extra Battery Capacity on my suits for so long, but it did feel like recharging took longer than without it.

Top Bottom