Docking Computer Activate/Deactivate Key

When you request docking, the docking computer says that you'll activate auto-dock if you slow down. The problem is that the docking computer has some really odd ways it likes to maneuver; it likes to take this weird sideways course from a very long way out. I've been lined up perfectly with the port opening, slowed way down, and the docking computer will turn me the heck around and send me in its way. But if I try to maneuver myself the way I want to be lined up, it'll sometimes take maneuvers that require me to slow down...and next thing I know, I'm fighting with the docking computer!
And given that the round-about route the computer likes to take makes the trip longer...and thus a scan far more likely...this is kind of on the unacceptable side.

All I really want the darn thing for anyway is putting me on the landing pad, the very last--and most annoyingly difficult--part of landing. But requesting docking privileges would be kind of tricky once you're inside the station...I'm not even sure if they'll let you. Once I'm inside the station, auto-dock will behave, but until then it flies like a drunken teenager.

So what I'd really like is a key--some unbound key--that lets me turn auto-dock on and off on a whim. For the sake of timing.

Please add?

it would be useful, in the interim all you can do is turn it off and on via the modules tab on the right side menu. its not ideal but its the best we have for now.

You cannot request docking privileges from within the station. At best, it tells you to leave the station and request again.

All I really want the darn thing for anyway is putting me on the landing pad, the very last--and most annoyingly difficult--part of landing. But requesting docking privileges would be kind of tricky once you're inside the station...I'm not even sure if they'll let you. Once I'm inside the station, auto-dock will behave, but until then it flies like a drunken teenager.

If you enter the station without docking permission, you will be trespassing and you will be deaded. :eek:

What you can do is, request docking then fly through the letter box only slowing down when you are inside. The DC will take over and land.
Drop your Engine Pips for better control of your thrust going through the toast rack and don't hand over control to the DC, until you are completely inside. Otherwise it will try to take you back out by doing a U turn and not making it. Crashing you into the wall. :mad:

Love your User Name BTW :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

You cannot request docking privileges from within the station. At best, it tells you to leave the station and request again.

The station gives you a warning, a fine and a countdown. Then it starts shooting.

it would be useful, in the interim all you can do is turn it off and on via the modules tab on the right side menu. its not ideal but its the best we have for now.

That's the very opposite of ideal; far better would be to get myself lined up, then request permission, then fly right up until I'm inside the station, then slow down to activate.
Cuz requesting permission is far less of a hunt-and-peck affair. At least in my experience it is.

If you enter the station without docking permission, you will be trespassing and you will be deaded. :eek:

This is what I look like when I've decided that's less than ideal.

What you can do is, request docking then fly through the letter box only slowing down when you are inside. The DC will take over and land.

Yeah, I've done that...although, as I said in the OP, sometimes I need to slow down to maneuver myself to get to the letter box, and suddenly I find myself fighting the computer for control.

Also, there was this once when I flew through maybe a little too fast, and the landing pad was one of those that's right on the inside, so the DC activated late...and it kept trying to land me backward. And trying to turn myself around while stopped wasn't an option, cuz the computer would keep taking back control. Trying to fly away from the pad and reactivate the DC wasn't an option, cuz the computer still thought backward was the right way (I guess it orients itself relative to where the pad is when it activates, expecting activation from outside...maybe?)
This is one of the many reasons I really want an activate/deactivate key.

Love your User Name BTW :cool:

Thanks. It's actually from an animation I made a year or two ago (hence the profile pic).
- - - Updated - -

It's been asked for several times. I'm not sure why FD thought a self-activating docking computer was a good idea. If they were trying to cut down on the number of keybinds, I rather think they've had that.

For the record, the DC's current piloting skills are a thing of unalloyed goodness. If you never experienced it at it's worst, you're blessed. Genuine kudos to the programmer: judging by how appalling it used to be, it must have been one hell of a job to get the DC as right as it is. It's speedy and efficient, most of the time. It does still get things wrong, occasionally, such as when something goes wrong in the letterbox, for whatever reason: I usually end up fighting the DC to stop it from scraping off half the hull, as it kicks in, tries to turn the ship and leave.

One little keybind would be so much better.

This is what I look like when I've decided that's less than ideal.
:cool: Not so severe, surely?

Yeah, I've done that...although, as I said in the OP, sometimes I need to slow down to maneuver myself to get to the letter box, and suddenly I find myself fighting the computer for control.

Also, there was this once when I flew through maybe a little too fast, and the landing pad was one of those that's right on the inside, so the DC activated late...and it kept trying to land me backward. And trying to turn myself around while stopped wasn't an option, cuz the computer would keep taking back control. Trying to fly away from the pad and reactivate the DC wasn't an option, cuz the computer still thought backward was the right way (I guess it orients itself relative to where the pad is when it activates, expecting activation from outside...maybe?)
There's your mistake. You should have let it fly backwards. It does it better than we do. :eek:
I kept getting that situation when I was flying a Clipper. The DC never messed up.

This is one of the many reasons I really want an activate/deactivate key.
I am with you. It would be handy. I've set my module priorities so that it switches off the DC when I deploy the Hardpoints. I wonder if that would work to switch it on/off?

[Edit] Nope! You can't deploy hardpoints when under DC control.

Thanks. It's actually from an animation I made a year or two ago (hence the profile pic).
- - - Updated - -

Interesting. I do animations too. 3D modelling and ray-tracing. :)

Last edited:
I had a 1E Advanced Docking Computer on my Diamondback Explorer ship until I got Killed by Pirates. When I replaced it It did not replace the Docking computer. Now all I can Find is the stock docking computer.
Anybody Know where I can find the Advanced one?

I had a 1E Advanced Docking Computer on my Diamondback Explorer ship until I got Killed by Pirates. When I replaced it It did not replace the Docking computer. Now all I can Find is the stock docking computer.
Anybody Know where I can find the Advanced one?
buy a sidewinder, store the free ADC that comes with it, sell sidewinder :p

+1 to a keybind to toggle the Autopilot. Not sure how the Supercruise Assist works since Explorers Anchorage, oddly enough, only sells the former and not the latter (hmm, which module might possibly be more useful for explorers I wonder), but ditto for SA if useful.

As for workarounds for the OP: Could you use a VoiceAttack (or similar) macro in the interim to toggle the DC? Still hunt-and-peck, but automated..

Wow. All that nonsense just to have your ship do the docking for you? That sounds like even more of a headache then just landing. Think I'll just land my ship myself, thanks.

Both the SCA and the ADC are more hassle than they are worth. If your a "real ED pilot", you don't need automated take offs and landings.
I agree with SCA (although I used it once when I wanted go to Hutton ;-) ).
But most my non-combat ships do have docking computer, and the big and wide ones advanced version.
For convenience, I can make myself some tea during landing.

Lestat

Banned
Seeing one person circumvent an aggravation is not the same as resolving it.
Well having an off on key is not resolving it. Knowing what type of ships to use it for or practice will resolve it. Large ships Docking computers are great. If you are Pirate or smuggler they are not needed.

Last edited:
Having a toggled hotkey wouldn't instantly resolve anything, no, but it also would do no harm, rather than having to open your menus and click around for it. Much like the act of requesting docking itself, it really aggravated me to hear Sammarco say he wanted the docking request to be a "process."

As if the act of ACTUALLY LANDING YOUR SHIP wasn't a process already.

For a game that advertises sleek ships, wingmen, explosions and hyperspace, Mr. Sammy sure likes making people look over at their menus a lot...

Top Bottom