Horizons Docking computer disasters

I'm sure this must have been discussed to death before, so please bear with me.

Is ship destruction by a starport, because of a misbehaving DC, to be accepted as a hazard of using a DC, or is it "unexpected behaviour" (i.e., a bug)?

On this occasion the DC held my ship outside, facing the slot, "waiting in queue" (for a non-existent queue!) for so long that, when the DC did eventually decide to proceed, there was very little time left, and the starport destroyed the ship as a trespasser.

Inside the starport, the ship had descended to just above the pad with probably just enough time to touch down - but then it just hung there, not moving, and was destroyed. I'd had to leave the KBD for something urgent, so trusted the DC to do the business right, but I have the incident on video.

It was not a massive loss, but enough to be really annoying.

I have, incidentally, always preferred to dock manually with other ships - it's just more relaxing having James do the Beluga for me (always under my watchful eye - except this time).

Not too sure if it is expected behavior or not, but it has happened to me a few times. Very frustrating, but I attribute it to natural bugs in the programming of docking computers. Kind of like the bugs we'll find when we eventually all have self-driving cars.

I noticed that I only get in the queue if am playing in Open and there are other players in the area. My educated guess for why is that the system that guides the ship only supports guiding one ship at once (maybe other players were also using the docking computer).

When that happens, I just switch to manual controls and dock by myself. I only use the docking computer when piloting large transporter ships, because those are harder to maneuver and dock, plus it saves a lot of time when making several trading trips. Most of the times the docking computer works well for me.

I "always" play Group (mostly) or Solo (occasionally). The only time I play Open is by mistake! I've also had this experience a few times and, ib fact, it happened again on my next docking after my first post. I haven't consciously noted what mode I was playing at the time though.

Since then, anyway, I slip in through the slot manually and then let James park it, once inside.

I have seen this when winged up with others...I would push the throttle up (until the DC shut off) and fly it through the slot and then cut the throttle to zero and let the DC land it on the pad - if it didn't land me, I would shut the DC down in the systems panel and dock it manual. After a few frustrating times with that, I now fly all of my ships through the slot and just use the DC to land me on the pad while I am setting up the return route in the Galaxy map!

This is one of the nicest posts I've read in a long time addressing bugs in the game. Repped for not being a :D

"Docking" not "flying" computer

It is a "docking" computer, not a "flying" computer so do not use it outside the station except short-term, as a tool to learn how to line up large ships to go through the slot. The docking computer will not engage until the throttle is cut to 0% so fly to the slot, fly through it and cut your throttle to 0% as you fly through the slot. The docking computer will take over and DOCK your ship.

It's not an autopilot.

If used as an autopilot (for approaching a station) the docking computer will lawn-dart your ship into the side of the station or hang you up in the toaster-rack about 10-15% of the time.

Last edited:
Dont agree with the above. I exclusively use DC on all of my ships and have done for yonks and from 7.5k out. I have never ever even once been flown into the side or stuck in the toast rack.

That being stuck in a queue thing when in open or mobius is a fairly common feature ive noticed around busy starports and when CGs are being handed in. after a couple of minutes, i swop to solo. Im not sure if what you describe will happen but im not wanting to find out! Bug or feature? I would say bug and ticket it

Lucky you Mikey. Yeah, it does happen. I have had the DC hit the boost when engaging at about 4.5 to 5k facing the slot quite often. Not every time but it WILL lawn dart you into the station right next to the slot. Real fun in an Anaconda passing the grate at 175 heading toward the wall. Annies don't slow down too quick (unless you hit the wall that is). I have learned to ignore the "waiting in queue" and just throttle up and take it in the slot. Don't throttle down until passing through the slot or it will try to go back into hold backing up/boosting as it comes around or stick you in the slot. Once in, let it take over. Haven't had it dart me into the back of the station yet. It's also fun when it overshoots the landing pad and has to back up a ways to get back. All in all I like it but I never walk away from it. You must always be ready to take over. Had it "dock" me on the wrong end of a Coriolis station when I wasn't paying much atttention. That one taught me. Its naughty behaivor shows up to some extent every time I play.

You can't trust the DC, if you AFK while landing, you assume the risk of a malfunction. I had the DC try to land my ship through the closed end of the spaceport (a bug that was supposedly fixed quite a while back) a day or so ago.

Also the ship sometimes doesn't center on the pad, or approaches at too high a speed. It happens. It is the game testing your attention, I have no doubt it is on purpose.

It is a "docking" computer, not a "flying" computer so do not use it outside the station except short-term, as a tool to learn how to line up large ships to go through the slot. The docking computer will not engage until the throttle is cut to 0% so fly to the slot, fly through it and cut your throttle to 0% as you fly through the slot. The docking computer will take over and DOCK your ship.

It's not an autopilot.

If used as an autopilot (for approaching a station) the docking computer will lawn-dart your ship into the side of the station or hang you up in the toaster-rack about 10-15% of the time.

LOL true dat... however I must say I always drop out of sc request the dock and let it do its thang! not had a single issue/crash in a month of use (well a small dent maybe) :p

I have noticed that it seems to only happen for me with a Coriolis station. Here is a vid of a near wall smack. Had I been just a little closer...
Happy landings!

[video=youtube;xATabaKjf5Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xATabaKjf5Y[/video]

I have also had collisions with the station with the DC, it seems that after i had modified my Fer it had a much higher top speed. The DC boosted into station as it would if I were in my conda, but it could not pull the ship up fast enough and smacked the side of the station next to the slot. I have also had the issue with the docking queue thingy, when this happens i simply override the DC by throttling up until i pass the slot then throttle back and allow the DC to re-engage. This is also how i over come the hanging above the landing pad it sometimes does. Recently i have had 0 issue with DC behavior it seems to come and go, as others have said i always use a DC on all my ships so i notice. The faster the ship i feel the more likely DC will play up a little, whether you would call that a bug or not is up too you i suppose. In saying that tho at this level of supposed tech you would think something as simple as a dock comp already had the bugs ironed out as a ship-station collision endangers the station as much if not more then the ship, if its defect is not a bug and meant for more realism.

I would also purpose that whatever play mode you are in has 0 bearing on the DC. As others have said it is not a autopilot but neither should it result in you losing your ship for its failure. I use it because i find it convenient to let it dock while i get up to make a coffee or some other things, so that when i get back i can do whatever i needed to do in station and get on with it. Having to sit and supervise the the DC i think is a total waste of someones time, it should either work or not. In the real world if something like a Instrument Landing System (ILS) used for aircraft only had say a 95% reliability rate it would never have been implemented. So as I doubt FD will ever get around to it, I say if you are having trouble with it don't use it. Especially if it is costing you re-buys to use it, that's a choice for a pilot to make him or herself.

Ive remembered that i did have an issue with it while visiting the engineer that is at the bottom af a deep ravine in my annie and dropping out of glide about 4k up. The wide turning circle meant i was hitting the rocks at the side. Not enough to die but very disconcerting. From 7.5k there was no probs or with my other ships

Anyways, not lost one yet so will carry on as previously. Have done many thousands of manual docks so its nice to give them up!

It's not an autopilot.

mine is doing just fine. I always "x" it 7 klicks from stations, outpost, whathaveyou, and it flys in and lands just fine. Never (touch wood!!!9 had any problems with it.

The DC is buggy. It's mostly ok, but not 100%, never has been. I don't know if support will reimburse for a DC error. But I do know that you cannot trust the DC. It will crash your ship so you better watch it :)

I noticed that I only get in the queue if am playing in Open and there are other players in the area. My educated guess for why is that the system that guides the ship only supports guiding one ship at once (maybe other players were also using the docking computer).

Yes, only happens for me with other players around as well. I don't think it is a limitation of how many ships can be guided though. If you manually fly through the mail slot and reengage the docking computer it will immediately fly you to your landing pat, never put you in a queue again. I rather suspect the DC makes certain assumptions on player behaviour , "e.g. I wait for the CMDR to leave then will fly in", which for some reason sometimes never occur, or only occur after a long time.

Top Bottom