Does Planet Zoo have the same performence issues as Planet Coaster with large zoos lets say ?

Yes as does every simulation game to a certain degree. The more detailed such as piece count, terraforming, animals, guests, ect. Can and often will hinder the game to a certain degree. I play on a laptop and there’s only really two zoos on the workshop I’ve tried so far that effect the frame rates to a more then noticeable degree so it’s not terrible by no means. I prefer to build my own zoos but will try a zoo out on the workshop from time to time.

Yes as does every simulation game to a certain degree. The more detailed such as piece count, terraforming, animals, guests, ect. Can and often will hinder the game to a certain degree. I play on a laptop and there’s only really two zoos on the workshop I’ve tried so far that effect the frame rates to a more then noticeable degree so it’s not terrible by no means.

I am curious sense you said what you did. Is it possible to fix this issue in a simulation game or not really ? Except with maybe a NASA computer?

Well even people such as YouTube players with the latest and greatest hardware struggle at some point. But yes you can control lag by keeping guests to a lower number let’s say 2500-3500 or I prefer to play without guests in most of my zoos. You can keep animal numbers to a 150 or less and keep terraforming to a minimal and use frontier blueprints. You can pretty much control it as much as you want really but more equals more lag at some point. I’ve never experienced it being unplayable so it’s not that bad.

keeping guests to a lower number let’s say 2500-3500 or I prefer to play without guests in most of my zoos. You can keep animal numbers to a 150 or less and keep terraforming to a minimal
But how can you then build 'the zoo of your dreams' that they advertise with?
There should be no issues and you shouldn't be limited to a few animals or guests or items.. Also, limit guestnumbers in franchise is pointless, since you won't make money

There should be no issues and you shouldn't be limited to a few animals or guests or items.. Also, limit guestnumbers in franchise is pointless, since you won't make money

depends on:

a) what your dream zoo is like
b) what your computer is like
c) making money isn’t generally an issue so reducing guest numbers isn’t a problem.

depends on:

c) making money isn’t generally an issue so reducing guest numbers isn’t a problem.

a) exactly, not everyone's (I'd even say most people's) dream zoo consists of 10-15 species or less than 150 animals, so advertising it like that and then going "just build small" is really not cool. Not to mention the terrain and building pieces stuff...

b) not really an argument either (unless someone has a really ty rig and still tries to run the game on it) 'cause even high end systems that are way above the recommended specs run into a bottle neck with this game sooner rather than later. If it's sold with those recommendations whoever has those and buys the game should be able to play it smoothly even after 1/5 of a map is filled and I'm talking an actual, decorated zoo with animals, guests and staff, not just some bare bones scenery and limited everything.

c) making money is most definitely an issue when your zoo reaches a certain number of species and staff, you can't just cut guest numbers down from 8k to about 1.5-2k and not go from making profit to loosing money fast. Believe me I tested this with way too many of my parks and it never works, unless you go and change stuff in the files which is a big nono for franchise.

Performance is in general rather bad once you get past the 2-3k guests mark, it did get a tiny bit better over time but it's still nowhere near where it should be when you advertise a game like that.

I was simply just answering his question on ways to keep performance lag free. He’s welcome to build however he wishes. As I stated it’s all in the way you play and as you guys said what your vision of a dream zoo looks like. In my personal zoos I’ve always used the majority or a large diversity of animals and have always kept numbers 200 and below. Certain animals such as flamingos I’ll do 20 or so. Wolves maybe 5-7 as with other canids. Lions 2-4. Tigers 2. And so on as I try to keep animal numbers realistic. For example most zoos aren’t going to have 10 tigers in a exhibit as the animals are solitary and honestly could be just as happy alone. But I’ve seen people with 400 plus animals so it’s all in how you prefer to play. I can easily use 20-30 different species plus exhibit animals and keep numbers below 200 and my zoo still looks great and imo very realistic from what you might expect at a real zoo. @TigerPaws you are correct about franchise mode for sure I forgot to mention I prefer strictly sandbox mode so in that case not all of my suggestions apply. I can’t really give as much advice in franchise as I’ve only played on challenges about ten times to get the avatar clothing.

Last edited:
depends on:

Exactly!!!

You CAN make your dream zoo. For instance if your dream zoo is a small square box with no animals or guests in it, or a giant laggy mess then I don't see what the big problem is.

Well, this is from the ZT2013 game:

• Create the Zoo of your dreams with the biggest, most detailed environments ever utilizing intuitive yet powerful controls designed for Zoo Tycoon fans of all ages
• It’s your zoo – design and manage your ideal zoo from intuitive road construction to the ability to adjust the enclosures and decorate them. The choice is yours!

For cities: skylines
You’re only limited by your imagination, so take control and reach for the sky!

Don't think we need to take one-liners / marketing tricks that seriously. :D :D

But I agree, the game gives you a basic large map for your zoo and people really struggle with perfomance when it gets too big.
And most of them have great specs to play any game.
For me, it got better with all the updates but I really think they should improve on that one.
It's better than PC but still....

In my experience, the performance is a LOT better compared to PlanCo.

Nevertheless, the bigger, more detailing you do... it will affect performance, especially when guests walk around in your zoo.

Top Bottom