Ships Dolphin Owners Club

The original Dolphin Owners thread got locked, so I thought I'd start another.

Just picked up this ship as I'm diversifying my “Star Line” freighter fleet to include a cruise line subsidiary.

I like it a lot, particularly as it has a completely different appearances from the rest of my fleet. It's set up for long range luxury cruising with a 5B Luxury cabin (4 passengers), 4D Business Class (6 passengers) and fuel scoop.

Saud Kruger Dolphin “Adventure Star” LA-10D.
HJxOtKr.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is fit with all economy class cabins at the moment but will be upgraded to similar cabins as yours when I'm done building my rescue ship. I'm transporting refugees and tourists when I get the chance and not doing trade runs in my T6.

MSS Wake Rider in Prestige Orange:

414082844.jpg

The Dolphin may be my favorite ship these days, at least until we get proper NPC crew for the bigger ships. I'm primarily an explorer and taxi driver, and the Dolphin excels at both. It also does a fabulous job at conveying its scale from the cockpit compared to ships like the Cobra. If I ever decide to clear my save and try playing as a one-ship captain, I think the Dolphin would be that ship. I'm kinda surprised it's not more popular, but then again, I hate flying the same ship everyone else is!

I took one out for a spin to Theta Delphini in the constellation Delphinus a few weeks ago. Next time, an Eagle to Aquila.

Screenshot_0106.jpg

Last edited:
The "Mariana" sat half-engineered in the hanger since pretty much it's release.

With the new April 2019 update, it gets an additional 2 small slots; so with 9 optional slots to play with I decided to fully engineer it as a general purpose Exploration/Passenger ship.

Mariana Coriolis link, 55 Ly maximum jump range with class-5 cabins, or 60 Ly without. Exploration fit focused (so lots of lightweight engineering), but It does come with lightweight rail guns (Plasma slug), although they're more for dumping fuel than offering any real offensive capability.

G5 Heavy 1D Hull Reinforcement Package pretty much doubles the Dolphin's hull points (It grants better hull resistances in addition to raw HP) for 1.4T more and I had two extra 1 slots to use...so why not?. 0E shield boosters are awesome for their power and weight efficiency; +84MJ of shielding isn't a huge amount, but it's only costing me 2T of mass and 0.25MJ of energy.

Here she is in dock, sporting the "Prestige" paint set (Anodized Aluminium look), lightly edited (mostly to clear things up and add a bit more contrast):
PU4HI5y.png
A lot happier with the Dolphin's look now with the matte Aluminium finish. Quite liking how tidy the interior of the cockpit is as well (even if it is a lot of wasted space).

Overall it's a neat great value little ship. I was just checking on Coriolis, and besides the Cobra Mk IV (which you can't buy), it has the largest cargo capacity of the small ships.

Removing the passenger module restrictions really helped the Dolphin as an explorer. You can now stick on a size 5 fuel scoop or frame shift drive booster. This, plus the extra two size 1 slots, means I have a hard time justifying flying anything else for exploring/mat collection.

Removing the passenger module restrictions really helped the Dolphin as an explorer. You can now stick on a size 5 fuel scoop or frame shift drive booster. This, plus the extra two size 1 slots, means I have a hard time justifying flying anything else for exploring/mat collection.
Dolphin is one of my favorite explorers. My only complaint is the EBL and transparent hull (light shines through), both of which are bugs that could be fixed. As for the cockpit view, I have found that on most worlds I can fly over the surface kinda like a helicopter, nose pointing down, by using FA-off, which gives me a great view without needing a glass floor.

The Orca is another favorite exploration ship of mine, but without a proper NPC crew, it feels too big for me alone. The Dolphin is just the right size for a solo explorer IMO.

PS - I explorer shieldless (I love the extra challenge), which frees up yet another slot.

Top Bottom