Modes Don't snub player preference by incentivizing modes

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So you are on about now that there is a significant difference between an "online multiplayer" game and a "multiplayer online" game?

Just to clarify this point.

Battlefield 4 : Online Multiplayer
Elite: Dangerous : Massively Multiplayer Online

See the difference?

Battlefield has up to 64 people connected to 1 game.
Elite: Dangerous has thousands of people connected to 1 game (BGS).

So yes, you include Solo players in the balance equations. They are part of the MMO.

And to answer your other point, yes, even Ezekiel thinks my mind is gone :p

People that are actively trying to "incentivize" Open are the ones that are salty about the fact that anyone can affect the BGS from Solo or Private Groups.

With that in mind, i don't believe that your post, be it magnificiently written, will affect their opinion in any way.

With that in mind, i don't believe that your post, be it magnificiently written, will affect their opinion in any way.
I've been around forums long enough to realise that.

And although that other thread is effectively high jacked by a repetitive wailing disorder, I did learn one thing there.

People that are actively trying to "incentivize" Open are the ones that are salty about the fact that anyone can affect the BGS from Solo or Private Groups.
That it's not the reason I assumed it was, namely to participate in the BGS. In the discussion I was told by a PvPer they don't want to grind the BGS. Means very little to them. The only reason for incentivising is a) to have a hard-on about Open as a sort of uber mode and b) get more soft targets in Open.

Mind you, just the PvPers in that thread. Those who I speak to privately have no issues with the way the modes are set up. Even though they taunt me on comms whenever I'm in solo :)

Last edited:
Actually, Elite: Dangerous is an MMO. Not an online multiplayer. (yes, there is a difference).

Wikipedia;
A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting large numbers of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet. MMOs usually have at least one persistent world, however some games differ.

Oxford English Dictionary (Online);
An online video game which can be played by a very large number of people simultaneously .

The Steam Store page;

Note it has MMO and Multiplayer listed separately.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=54528&d=1439140722
https://i.imgur.com/DuLYHdu.jpg

So as long as "lots" of people are connected to the game - nothing says an "MMO" has to force social interactions.
You can indeed be alone in an "MMO" and it is still an "MMO".

So you "balance" the game for everyone, including the Solo players.

You're right, see that SINGLE PLAYER MODE. thats separate from everything else. Also private groups fall into this. Balance the game. Remove the MMO features from solo and private. And be done with it.

Ok, say something on topic or be reported.

Not so. If this verbal diarrhea machine starts repeating his ballcocks here as well, you may close this thread or book him for being off topic.

Report me.

And jockey brought it up. Not me.

But you want me to say something about your thread? Okay.

I agree people should have have their choices to make. And when you pick solo mode. Or private mode. You are choosing to play for yourself, or your friends.

You are not choosing to play with the rest of the player base. So you shouldnt be able to effect the rest of the player base within them. Thats why OPEN needs incentive.

Last edited:
That it's not the reason I assumed it was, namely to participate in the BGS. In the discussion I was told by a PvPer they don't want to grind the BGS. Means very little to them. The only reason for incentivising is a) to have a hard-on about Open as a sort of uber mode and b) get more soft targets in Open.

I agree. If i had to rephrase my post, it would be more accurate to say that these people are salty about the fact that you can play the game in the same "universe" than them without them being able to ... wreck your ship at any given time.

You are not choosing to play with the rest of the player base.

And?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...-e3-xbox-exclusives-and-qa-with-david-braben/

attachment.php

There is no "right way" to play, so Frontier won't snub any mode for your personal pleasure.
As they fully support their game.

I agree. If i had to rephrase my post, it would be more accurate to say that these people are salty about the fact that you can play the game in the same "universe" than them without them being able to ... wreck your ship at any given time.
It's a strange kind of mindset. I can have peace with the way the game modes are designed. Not always happy about it, but I accept that when I'm in Open, there's consequences. It seems not everyone is ready to accept the consequences.

Jockey, please don't engage him. If this goes anywhere near that other thread, I feel it's my duty to spare the forums 2 of these cesspits.

Last edited:
And?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...-e3-xbox-exclusives-and-qa-with-david-braben/

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=98946

There is no "right way" to play, so Frontier won't snub any mode for your personal pleasure.
As they fully support their game.

Neat. Game features still dont work. Powerplay is used for module hopping, and people wont use open for objectives.

Open NEEDS the Incentive for the risk.

They gave something a shot. And it didnt work. You simply cant mesh multiplayer features with a single player mode. That gives single players an advantage over the whole OPEN player base by reducing the risks vs others.

Its not if there is a right or wrong way to play. Its a balanced way to play. There is a difference.

It's a strange kind of mindset. I can have peace with the way the game modes are designed. Not always happy about it, but I accept that when I'm in Open, there's consequences. It seems not everyone is ready to accept the consequences.

Jockey, please don't engage him. If this goes anywhere near that other thread, I feel it's my duty to spare the forums 2 of these cesspits.

And there is no consequences for attacking another player through the BGS in solo mode. But there is in OPEN. And you recognize this? Bout time.

Fair play buddy. Will respond in the other thread only.
You know you have my full support here and you have access to The Wall of Information if you need anything. :)

I agree it is what it is but I disagree with what it should be.
Yog forbid you reward a good PvPer with something a non-PvPer can't get.
I think it's unfair that other's think its unfair.
I think power play should be the realm of PvP, primarily and better PvPers should be able to take territory from those who aren't as good. Better warriors win at war. It's nothing to be ashamed of if you don't fight good. You can practice, you can do any of the other million things in this game. You can still trade to affect the BGS but NOT more than combat. The alternative seems like the results of helicopter parenting.

I'm not a PvPer or a PKer, griefer or any of the like. I just hate how they want to bubble wrap and pull the fangs from everything to spare people's feelings. Let's keep making everything softer lest we hurt ourselves.

You're right, see that SINGLE PLAYER MODE. thats separate from everything else. Also private groups fall into this. Balance the game. Remove the MMO features from solo and private. And be done with it.

I think you make a lot of sense, and it's a shame seeing other forum users try to employ cheap tactics to have your contributions removed from this thread instead of just debating you fair and square.

Personally, I operate under the idea that someone can play in solo/private and still effect Open players as just ridiculous game design, and people are going to have to do better than post screen grabs of the game's Steam page showing that among other things it advertises a solo mode to convince me otherwise. Bad design and one of the many reasons I no longer play the game.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Discuss the post not the poster and leave the moderating to the Moderators please.

If you feel a post is in breach of the rules then use the report button.

I agree it is what it is but I disagree with what it should be.
Yog forbid you reward a good PvPer with something a non-PvPer can't get.
I think it's unfair that other's think its unfair.
I think power play should be the realm of PvP, primarily and better PvPers should be able to take territory from those who aren't as good. Better warriors win at war. It's nothing to be ashamed of if you don't fight good. You can practice, you can do any of the other million things in this game. You can still trade to affect the BGS but NOT more than combat. The alternative seems like the results of helicopter parenting.

I'm not a PvPer or a PKer, griefer or any of the like. I just hate how they want to bubble wrap and pull the fangs from everything to spare people's feelings. Let's keep making everything softer lest we hurt ourselves.
With regard to powerplay, I think it would be good to separate PP merit into civilian and military merit. Killing NPCs would grant you military merits, killing someone from the Pilot's Federation aligned to a rivaling faction should give you lots of military merit. While trading, smuggling, mining and exploration (knowledge) should yield civilian merit. That way you can have a diversity of political states. You can have a military presence that is ruling by force, but which can be overthrown by creating enough dissent. Or the reverse, you can use force to take over an important but poorly defended trade hub. For me it's not about what I can't get what a PvPer can. It's how a PvPer and me could help or hinder each other.

It also would make sense of the modes being separate. When people are undermining your military power underground, you cannot see them. But you can counter it by upping the military presence which would have the effect of more secret agents trying to infiltrate the undermining faction. The political landscape could become quite varied and interesting and open to opportunities from CMDRs from all walks of life.

Lets imagine the Elephant in the Room gets a 25% bonus on all kinds of stuff.

I wouldn't click open regardless of incentives, so the idea of extra bonuses is nothing more than 'i want more' because I'm special. Giving bonuses would have more of a demoralising effect for players that play elsewhere and goes against the all modes are equal promise that many people bought into years ago.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom