Doors to Thargoid bases no longer locked!

The Fleet Carrier update and/or one of its subsequent patches seems to have introduced what I sincerely hope is a bug.

Basically the outer doors to a Thargoid base will now open for an approaching SRV even if it's not carrying a Thargoid Probe, Sensor or Link where previously at least one of those items had to be either in the SRV's inventory or else positioned on the ground near the door.

I really hope this is a bug and not an intended change because, while some people might see this as an improvement I'd like to argue quite strongly that it's not.

Basically mechanisms like the locked door and key offer the possibility for emergent gameplay. For example, I spent some time figuring out how to get a ship launched fighter inside a Thargoid base. What I realised was that you could "prop" the door open by dropping a Thargoid Sensor just outside (being very careful not to let it roll through the open doorway, slamming the door in your face!) and then go and get into your SLF and fly it through the open doorway. I also found that if the "prop" got dislodged then the door would close leaving you locked inside! What I then had to do was call for a fuel rat to come and let me out by opening the door from the outside (you can imagine his surprise when an SLF flew out!).

It's this kind of emergent gameplay that I'm a very strong advocate of and why I'm posting this in order to raise awareness of the change in Thargoid door behaviour and to ask that if it's a bug then it be acknowledged and fixed, and if it's an intended change then it be reconsidered and changed back. Please don't remove these difficulties and mechanisms from the game! Imagine if ships no longer ran out of fuel ... there'd be no Fuel Rats (and personally I think that would be a tragedy).

Right now someone is trying to organise a Buckyball race which involves visiting Thargoid bases (something we've not done before) and without the old locked door behaviour one of the central ideas of the race is no longer workable.

If you agree with this post and would like to see this fixed please go and add your voice to the bug report (and vote on it once it's been acknowledged).

BUG REPORT

Does this mean I can tour inside a Thargoid base without hassle? Huh... I'm normally not a exploity kind of guy, but in this case I might make an exception. Not because I dislike puzzles, rather I dislike the very clunky way ED does puzzles with SRVs.

So if it's a bug, I hope Frontier takes it as seriously as they did Elephant Butt Leather (at least until I get to look around inside). Sorry Alec!

Does this mean I can tour inside a Thargoid base without hassle? Huh... I'm normally not a exploity kind of guy, but in this case I might make an exception. Not because I dislike puzzles, rather I dislike the very clunky way ED does puzzles with SRVs.

So if it's a bug, I hope Frontier takes it as seriously as they did Elephant Butt Leather (at least until I get to look around inside). Sorry Alec!
I'm very disappointed in you. Next you'll be telling me you want to rip out the three ramps where you have to drop the three different Thargoid items in order to active the galaxy map and just have a massive red ON button that you bump the SRV into.

EasyButton_WY3E0446.jpg

I'm very disappointed in you. Next you'll be telling me you want to rip out the three ramps where you have to drop the three different Thargoid items in order to active the galaxy map and just have a massive red ON button that you bump the SRV into.
I'd rather have some sort of terminal that I hack into using my data scanner.

Mass_Effect_2_%2528PC%2529_17.jpg

But since we can't get compelling puzzle mechanics like this in ED, then yes, I'd prefer a big red button over silly "drive and drop" SRV mechanics. 🤷

ps - this is why the FSD booster is the only ED puzzle I've done, and that was a very painful and begrudged process for me.

Yes please .... ;)

(not really, just teasing)

But since we can't get compelling puzzle mechanics like this in ED, then yes, I'd prefer a big red button over silly "drive and drop" SRV mechanics. 🤷

ps - this is why the FSD booster is the only ED puzzle I've done, and that was a very painful and begrudged process for me.
Shepard: "Remember the old days when you could just slap Omnigel on everything?"
Liara: "That security upgrade made a LOT of people unhappy!"
😁

You know... For a second there I wondered if maybe it isn't a bug, but maybe the pulse finally gave up on that particular hiveship, but that was of course a silly thought; That would have implied existence of lifesign to any of of the game's story arcs.

Please note that while this might be possible to do, it requires SPACE FINGERS (remember: you can't take your hands off the throttle / joystick yet, either). But yeah, something like this would have been nice.

The Fleet Carrier update and/or one of its subsequent patches seems to have introduced what I sincerely hope is a bug.

Basically the outer doors to a Thargoid base will now open for an approaching SRV even if it's not carrying a Thargoid Probe, Sensor or Link where previously at least one of those items had to be either in the SRV's inventory or else positioned on the ground near the door.

Checked the list on this thread:
https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Thargoid_Surface_Site
Just curious, since it lists several bases (some marked active and others marked inactive). Which base are you referring to?

Top Bottom