Draft mode or planning tools

Because of how big the maps are and how creative people can be in the game, I think we could benefit from some tools to plan or draft our zoo layout or habitat build. Currently, we don't really have anything for that. I have been using the terrain painting tool to map out how I want paths, habitat edges or building to go, but it's not really an ideal method, because it is time consuming (the tool was not created for drawing), not very easy to notice in all circumstances (for example underwater) and can be a bit disruptive for habitat terrains.

Some potential ways of providing planning opportunities:
  • "Spray paint" option: you can mark the terrain with a very noticable spray paint to plan paths, habitat borders, elevation plot, etc. The "spray paint" should be easy to remove with for example a "remove all spray paint" button or some kind of clearing tool. This would probably be the easiest to implement, I think?
  • As mentioned on thread started by DrosophiliaMelanogastar: ruler, an anglemeter and a post it note. I especially agree with the ruler and anglemeter. It would be beneficial for any building that contains non-grid building blocks. I'm not sure why only 4 wide walls are on the group grids and 2 or 1 wide are not, but freehand building could be better in any case.
  • Map grid mode, basically showing a grid of the entire map if possible. Even though all items are on "different" grids, seeing the map grid would help with building creation. Ideally you could select the grid size from 1 to 4.
  • Similarly to what was mentioned in the thread about ghost building mode, it would be ideal to be able to plan how to place multiple buildings in the zoo without actually having to purchase them. It's especially an issue when placing shops as a shopkeeper is hired every time you buy a shop/info building. Same goes for buildings that force paths when placing.
If anyone else has other ideas on how drafting or planning could be improved, please share!

If anyone has an iPad and procreate and pencil, turn grids on especially the smaller one (not remembering the name) and each square represents 4x4m grid in game map

"Spray paint" option: you can mark the terrain with a very noticable spray paint to plan paths, habitat borders, elevation plot, etc. The "spray paint" should be easy to remove with for example a "remove all spray paint" button or some kind of clearing tool. This would probably be the easiest to implement, I think?
I already do this on temperate maps at least, i use sand paint to mark out paths, habitats, the map border, elevation changes among other things. Once you have finished with the need for the 'spray paint' simply paint over the sand paint with the default paint.

I already do this on temperate maps at least, i use sand paint to mark out paths, habitats, the map border, elevation changes among other things. Once you have finished with the need for the 'spray paint' simply paint over the sand paint with the default paint.
Yeah, I do the same as I mentioned, but it is not an ideal method, as the different paints can be too close to each other in color or tone (especially in lower spec devices, also it is an accessibility issue), they are affected by terrain modification (moving ground changes the terrain paint), they are poorly seen underwater and the tool is not really meant for drawing (using diameter 1 is impossible for drawing, it can be slow as the paint brush stamping frequency is too slow resulting in blotches instead of a smooth line). For these reasons I am suggesting that a tool specifically made for planning would be introduced.

Top Bottom