Drew Wagar: WE WANT MORE!!!

Is Frontier going to authorize / commission Drew to do a book to coincide with the release of Odyssey?

Reclamation was a great book. Drew's written several others that are wonderful reads. I would imagine they are not #1 best sellers because of the limited audience, but they add SO much flavor to the game. I see no reason why he isn't releasing a couple of books a year. He could do some Lore books - History of the Empire; History of the Federation; more background on the Generation ships; more background on Raxxla... from a 'narrative' perspective. I would also like to see him develop a serialized story (which I think he's working on now in game, but no idea whether that's 'authorized' or 'commissioned' - he may just love the game and be doing it for fun).

WHAT SAY YOU FRONTIER?

Seconded...but when I failed to secure promised IP Licence from Frontier on completing my book...I was told by the then Product Manager Martin Krarup-Hansen; that Frontier were NOT looking to start further 'publishing partnerships' with authors*. This followed Drew's Elite Dangerous book 'Premonition' which was the last book published with Frontier's blessing. So don't hold your breath, and I'll be surprised if you get an official response to your post. o7

Edit: Link to my now 'free to read' ED Novel 'Galactic Eclectic' is below in my sig.

Edit: *That was 2018 and it is now 2021 with no further ED novels since Drew's 'Premonition'.

Last edited:
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

I am releasing books each year (I've written 3 since Premonition)... but not Elite ones I'm afraid. My next one is due soon - a fantasy novel based on a ZX Spectrum game called "Doomdark's Revenge" sequel to my 2018 original "Lords of Midnight".

I am planning on working on a new Space Opera series soon, which will have something of an Elite-y feel in some ways, but it won't be an ED series. Frontier have shown no inclination to do any further "publishing partnerships". It's very much not their core business.

I did volunteer to write an "official" lore book for ED and went so far as to send in a proposal. It was turned down. The short segment lore and history videos (see sig) I've done are effectively me putting that stuff to some use for the players. I have about 3-4 more to do and then the job is complete. :)

Cheers,

Drew.

Last edited:
That's so disappointing. I am sure they (Frontier) have their reasons, but it's unfortunate.

I just purchased your Shadeward Saga and will just have to use your vids for the Lore content.

Thanks Drew!

Might be quite hard to retcon Lore if it is made public and published... specially if the story line is still being designed.

Having seen the way they ...er... 'handled' the production/promotion of Premonition, let's just say that book publishing is not one of their 'core competencies.' ;) I couldn't possibly recommend them to any other writer.

I made a mistake in thinking they could do it (I assumed they knew what they were doing, and we all know about assumptions!), but I should have held out to self-publish it or use a traditional publisher, but they were very insistent. The lack of an audiobook was a victim of that error on my part. The book is still for sale in ebook/paperback for those who want it, but its their product (IP wise) so I have no rights to do anything with it, otherwise I'd have an audio version out already. Lesson learnt for me. I asked for permission for years but they eventually ghosted me from a creative perspective and thereafter retconned the lore that was used in Premonition.

They really didnt make the most of the work that myself and players put into it unfortunately. Too late now. All ancient history. They've moved on and so have I. :)

Cheers,

Drew.

Last edited:
This sux. I just finished hearing Reclamation on Audible. It was great and awesome. The voice acting was good, and the sounds effects were thrilling. Would easily pay for Premonition if it were available on Audible.

Top Bottom