Newcomer / Intro DSS Heatmap

Is the DSS heatmap broken? The reason I ask is because I am currently gunning for arsenic but when I scan a planet with Geologic signals and arsenic present I just get a blue heatmap when I use the surface scanner with larger elevations poking out from it. When I change the filter from Fumerols or Vents or such, no change occurs on the heat map that I can detect.

Is this a bug?

Is the DSS heatmap broken? The reason I ask is because I am currently gunning for arsenic but when I scan a planet with Geologic signals and arsenic present I just get a blue heatmap when I use the surface scanner with larger elevations poking out from it. When I change the filter from Fumerols or Vents or such, no change occurs on the heat map that I can detect.

Is this a bug?
To this day I haven't figured out how the heatmap works. Or rather - what does it mean.
I think when comes to materials, you're still better off hunting outcrops and meteorites in an SRV.

It's just one color, there is no heat map. That was removed by FD because it was "confusing".

So all you get is a one-color map. Blue shows where the stuff might be, but you'll have to get low and slow to find them. Some stuff is nearly impossible to see.

Basically, we're back to the Mk I eyeball to find stuff again. Sometimes you can use the SRV scanner to locate geologicals, if they spawn mats, because you can see the mats on the scanner (if you know how).

It's just one color, there is no heat map. That was removed by FD because it was "confusing".

So all you get is a one-color map. Blue shows where the stuff might be, but you'll have to get low and slow to find them. Some stuff is nearly impossible to see.

Basically, we're back to the Mk I eyeball to find stuff again. Sometimes you can use the SRV scanner to locate geologicals, if they spawn mats, because you can see the mats on the scanner (if you know how).

It's nuts. In this time frame we can fly thru the galaxy but can't pinpoint a volcano on a planet's surface?

It seems OK to me. I've landed in blue areas that are teeming with bio's. Except, as @Codger says, some are extremely hard to spot - mostly the fungus type stuff that appears as a patch on the ground, rather than some kind of stem protruding from it.

What would be nice is:
  • Fauna as well as flora
  • SRV scanner to pick up exo signals
  • Vista shop for carriers

It seems OK to me. I've landed in blue areas that are teeming with bio's. Except, as @Codger says, some are extremely hard to spot - mostly the fungus type stuff that appears as a patch on the ground, rather than some kind of stem protruding from it.

What would be nice is:
  • Fauna as well as flora
  • SRV scanner to pick up exo signals
  • Vista shop for carriers
Upgraded SRV wave scanner would be nice (maybe as an engineering option - it's a shame we can't engineer anything on an SRV)
But honestly, what would be helpful enough is the ability to view and switch between the heat map areas while flying above the surface. Having to fly up into orbit to find the next area is a bit annoying.

As far as the bacterium colonies go, I found out that they are best found from the ship. Hunting them on the ground is really hard, expecially when they're not super distinct in colour.
But spotting them from 100 meters up in the ship is relatively easy and you can cover large distances that way as they are often really spaced out.

Yes relatively easy from the ship but not easy, they are still only dark patches on a mottled surface! Best bit in the ship is if you deploy the scanners then it blips if you point the ship at the colonies so you know if the dark patch is a colony or just a dark patch before you land.

Yes relatively easy from the ship but not easy, they are still only dark patches on a mottled surface! Best bit in the ship is if you deploy the scanners then it blips if you point the ship at the colonies so you know if the dark patch is a colony or just a dark patch before you land.
Deploy the scanners?

Assign scanners to a fire group (TBH I'm not sure which one as I bound them all to one fire button!) and press fire to deploy. As the targeting reticule points at a bacterial colony then you get a blip sound.

Oh and I'm in analysis mode but not sure if that is significant or not. (composition scanner most likely but not tested it)

Last edited:
Assign scanners to a fire group (TBH I'm not sure which one as I bound them all to one fire button!) and press fire to deploy. As the targeting reticule points at a bacterial colony then you get a blip sound.

Oh and I'm in analysis mode but not sure if that is significant or not.
Ok I didn't know that.

Top Bottom