[DW2] How many have dropped off?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Why wonder - why not just look it up? https://www.edsm.net/en/expeditions/summary/id/58/name/Distant+Worlds+2+-+A+Voyage+of+Discovery

Looks like around 30% made it to the last waypoint (not much point looking at this week yet as many will be taking the info about being closest to Colonia and heading there first, I know that's where I am). ofc it seems only about 50% bother to upload their tracks, but they are probably the more dedicated / organised explorers, so it's likely less than 30% of the total.

(And that drop-off seems typical for exploration trips, other expeditions see the same pattern)

Is this automatically updated when I reach each waypoint?

I missed the last waypoint simply because I was busy scanning and mapping some systems and had read there were no organised events so thought I wouldn’t miss too much.

I hadn’t realised that skipping a waypoint may be picked up and possibly thought of as a potential drop out. As I have no intention of dropping out and this is my first organised expedition I’m guessing it may be advisable for me to hit each waypoint to ensure I’m registered as completing the expedition in several months time?
Just go back to the waypoints and EDSM picks it up again. If I remember right from how it worked last time, you can skip waypoints even without problem. The only way to drop out is to manually edit your status or miss the last waypoint before the deadline. Until then, you should have all time you want.

and that why i am wondering because there is not an accurate way to find out unless all those 13k commanders state they are in or out and thats not going to happen, so wonder away i will.

I imagine a fair few people, probably with no experience of long-distance exploration, will have started to realise just what a major commitment this is, and perhaps called it a day.

But you know what? That's fine. Hopefully, those who have dropped out may now want to try a little exploration on their own terms, perhaps a trip of a few days or weeks instead of most of the year. Start small, and build from there. There are countless different ways to play this little game, and I just hope players are getting the most out of it in their own way.

Agreed. And this is what happened on DW1 too. I think reaching Sag-A* is a milestone that a lot of players are happy with, and when they realize that's only 1/3 of way to BP, its usually the point many drop out. Which is fine. These expeditions are great at giving players a taster of what its like and just how big this gameworld is, but seeing them out to the end is not possible for everyone.

Stage 3 of DW2 will be quite a grueling exercise in endurance as it takes us through regions of space where there are very few interesting things to see, like the colorful nebula and star clusters we've got on our side of the galaxy. So its a case of battling through the hyperspace grind for large parts of it, and I can see that being a stage too far for a lot of players. If I had to guess, about 70% of those who started will reach Sag-A*, and if DW1 is anything to go by, about 40% will stick with it to BP.

Last edited:
I personally have fallen very far behind. Last time I logged in I was approaching Waypoint 3, but I haven't been able to keep up with the weekly pace and actually do detailed exploration, and some nights I've just not felt like it. Being so far behind, I'm getting a bit of a feeling of "what's the point?".
I finished DW1 2 months after everyone else(Erimus greeted me at BP which was brill ! ) because I was away with work :)

According to EDSM, neither Erimus nor Dr. Kaii haven't even started. It has me as not having reached the last wp, which I have and already halfway to the next. Not sure its a very good indicator.

I finished DW1 2 months after everyone else(Erimus greeted me at BP which was brill ! ) because I was away with work :)
Just remember, you have to finish before the deadline date in the expedition. If you pass the deadline date, nothing will be updated and you'd be showing as incomplete.

According to EDSM, neither Erimus nor Dr. Kaii haven't even started. It has me as not having reached the last wp, which I have and already halfway to the next. Not sure its a very good indicator.
They're out there. I suspect they're not updating their positions on purpose.

I had to travel backward and couldnt catch up with the fleet until WP3. while I play, I have the discord for fleetcom on. There has been a noticeable drop in activity over the last week. I would suspect that a fair number of pilots have already thrown in the towel.

The REALLY annoying thing on console is how we lost squadron chat on XBox with the last patch and so have spent all our time since then having to make do with no means of large-scale ingame communication.It feels a lot emptier when suddenly the dozens of fellow commanders all chatting away at all hours have disappeared, and it's only you and your friends.
I've come back to the game after a long absence just to participate in the expedition. I loved exploring, but unless you're in a group on Xbox, it just feels so lonely. I thought I would have some interaction with other players, especially at basecamps. I've been disappointed by the underwhelming activity and I wonder if the patch did something with instancing on the Xbox as well because I haven't seen any players since the conflux basecamp. I posted inquiring about meetups being scheduled on Xbox, however, it must not have been well-received because no one replied. I'm in it still though and still going. So no turning back yet. Been trying to extract as much time as I can between work/school/family.

Up until WP2 we had plenty activity in the chat constantly, with everyone arranging meetups at various cool sites people had discovered, but when 3.3.02 completely removed squadron chat from the game, all that organising ended up basically moving to forums, discord, private chats, and all kinda fragmented.

Up until WP2 we had plenty activity in the chat constantly, with everyone arranging meetups at various cool sites people had discovered, but when 3.3.02 completely removed squadron chat from the game, all that organising ended up basically moving to forums, discord, private chats, and all kinda fragmented.
We had an impromptu meetup at Labirinto that was so organic it was amazing. Using the "System" chat we were able to organize a meetup between 5 CMDRS scattered across Open and PG and get a canyon race going. It was frickin awesome! I haven't seen a soul since the conflux and i'm sad.

I dropped out of DW1 just after half-way - I think it was because engineers had just arrived, and I wanted to go and check them out. I only had one account at the time. To make sure it didn't happen this time, DW2 is my second account, and I'm in for the long-haul. :)

Still in we are a 3rd complete so kind of late to quit now I just made it into Polo Harbor going to go explore for a couple of nights hopefully :cool:

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom