Newcomer / Intro Dying Hard disk....

(sorry, not sure where to post this...)

I recently found out my hard disk is dying (file errors etc)
One of the files affected belongs to Elite Dangerous (Data.ovs.texture_IO)

Is there an option somewhere to check and repair the dodgy file? (ie like STEAM)

How's it going? A failing hard drive isn't funny. Are you going SSD?

I must admit, I'm a bit OCD and paranoid about backing up. I have three drive in my PC, one for the OS, one for programs and the rest for data. I back up the data quite regularly (to an external HD and a few USB sticks when Peter Paranoia is sitting on my shoulder) and keep the OS drive as effificient as possible running all sorts of maintenance programs to keep things spiffy.

Perhaps I ougtht to back my D: drive up but most of the stuff there I can re-download, including FD. I only have one other game and if that goes bye-bye, it's not really the end of the world as I hardly touch it now.

Sounds like a great excuse to get some new SSD's!

Good to start moving data sooner than later. As soon as sectors start failing and files are getting lost, it's only a matter of time.

:)
Thanks for all the humour guys!
The good news is.... it wasn't the boot drive that died, that's one of those Solid State thingies, and it boots in a flash
The bad news is... the drive that is dying is a 3TB Seagate, so there's a LOT of stuff on it (including Elite Dangerous.....) . Got my fingers crossed waiting for the new drive to arrive.
Meanwhile, it's a trauma everytime I boot up .... sometime the drive is there in the Explorer list, sometimes not....
Thinking of just leaving the computer switched on for a few days till I'm ready for the surgery....

Just a thought ... fearing the worst, is there some way of backing up my game save...?
(is it saved online, or on the hard disk somewhere...?)

I suppose you could uninstall ED then reinstall to C: if that's working OK. You can put it back later - I think I'm right in saying that you just need to redownload the game.

Just an option...

If you're worried about backing up stuff in general there's a lot of cloud based backup out there. Some of which gives (a smallish amount of ) free capacity. Or you could could pay for more space.
Depends how important your data is to you.

Are you sure your HDD is failing, or is it just full ?

Meanwhile, it's a trauma everytime I boot up .... sometime the drive is there in the Explorer list, sometimes not....
Thinking of just leaving the computer switched on for a few days till I'm ready for the surgery....
You have utilities that allows you to access your entire disk without going through Windows.

And even in Windows, you can also use the MS-DOS screen.

:)

Top Bottom