Earth's time of day is not right

How many times have the servers been taken offline for updates / patching? Maybe the engine is just still rendering based on July 2022 ...
I doubt that. That's like the philosophical question "Does the Earth rotate if no player is there to observe?". 😅 And imho the answer is 'no'.

When you drop out and the game creates an instance for you, it will simply take the current time and position the planet accordingly.

But keep in mind I have no clue about Elite's actual code either.

Galactic time and date could also very well have been set at some other place and time. Maybe when the new federal congress was opened on Mars. To be honest I quite like having the time display in UTC on my HUD, a couple of years ago I was slightly miffed that I couldn't set it to local time, though I thought it quite amusing that some other occurrences like meeting other players in open would display my local time. Somewhat indicating that I'll meet CMDR so and so in 25 minutes time.

For an old white knight like me it's really a non issue how the earth is lit in game, though I'd be happy if planets showed the right meridan and dark/light sides when looking at the map and trying to decide which settlement missions might be in daylight (or darkness).

Okay, after much research I've found the lore.

It's taken from the Holy Book of Braben (hallowed be his name), Chapter the fifth, 'After the Dark Cometh the Ships', and I quote "3:17 And what of the time asketh the faithful, unwashed and as unworthy though they be. What will be of the time Lord DBOBE? 3:18 And thusly, after much muttereth and heavenly looking, he sprake that he verily not careth one jot as long as the accursed Rate of Frames was not made more slowether. And as it was thus so shall it ever be, even on the Osses of the Macintosh. 3:19 And the many nodded and bowed their heads, so wise were his words and thusly did they bumble off, on their many ways. Some were heard to mumbleth that the Lord had not been explicit about the Box of X. But verily they were toldeth to shutteth up and soddeth off."

So, hopefully that's an end to it...

It may be simpler to just consider it a game, and actual time to be of no importance?
The Stellar Forge is one of this game's coolest technologies. You won't usually find a game thread discussing the Earth rotation sync with its clock. So it got me curious, nerding a bit about the game I play and love.

That is why I think there may be some context for it like @Northpin mentioned, rather than it just being an oversight or ignored bug. A lot may have happened in the 1000 extra years, scientifically or lore-wise to explain the difference in sync. The game does have the proper orbits.

The game does have the proper orbits.
Indeed, it is a masterpiece in the Sol system, mostly... just don't look at the moons of Mars or look for recently discovered moons. (Unless Mars' moons have been sorted recently - I have no purpose visiting Sol since unlocking the engineer there, there are another 399,999,999,999 systems to take my interest)

It's taken from the Holy Book of Braben (hallowed be his name), Chapter the fifth, 'After the Dark Cometh the Ships', and I quote "3:17 And what of the time asketh the faithful, unwashed and as unworthy though they be. What will be of the time Lord DBOBE? 3:18 And thusly, after much muttereth and heavenly looking, he sprake that he verily not careth one jot as long as the accursed Rate of Frames was not made more slowether. And as it was thus so shall it ever be, even on the Osses of the Macintosh. 3:19 And the many nodded and bowed their heads, so wise were his words and thusly did they bumble off, on their many ways. Some were heard to mumbleth that the Lord had not been explicit about the Box of X. But verily they were toldeth to shutteth up and soddeth off."

You, sir/madam/other (delete as appropriate) are a nutcase...

This is not intended in a derogatory manner, nay, but in the same vocalisation as one might make when in the prescence of an unfettered mastermind!

Such an utterance as the above should be pertrified in the annals of game history, quoted by the faithful unto the faithless, repeatedly, assisted by the use of a heavy, blunt, instrument during the times when the unbeliever doth protesteth too much.

Fdev could make a mint from a book like that 🤣

How about change the point of reference to 'tea time'.

Eg nearly tea time, way past tea time, gawd there's a way to go before its even close to tea time, GMTea time...

I'll see myself out.....
That wouldn't work, the clock would just always read "Tea Time" since it is always time for tea. And then the game would stop working because Everything Stops For Tea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom