General Easy fix to the engineering material grind

The upgrade recipe along with the materials drops reminds me of one of those games you'd see at a McDonald's or some other fast food place, where you collect all the pieces and if you complete the set you get some big prize. The missing piece is always the control point, and makes collecting all the others basically an act in futility but it gets your hopes up short term until you learn to recognize these tactics companies use to lure you into this silly carrot chase.

This is why people find work arounds. This is why people relog at mission crash sites 100 times to get materials, and why people sell SDPs and the like to bartenders on their own fleet carriers, then transfer them back and do again. Most people don't want to spend a week trying to find a settlement defense plan, much less 10, and forum anecdotes about someone finding several once upon a time don't resolve the issue.

People are going to do whatever gets them to their goal, and most of the time the goal isn't to grind. Maybe that shortens the life of the game for them, maybe it doesn't. If these people already have that play style then the game isn't a life commitment in the 1st place. I don't think the game should be made easier to suit those folks. I do, however, think the expectations should take into consideration the reward vs time required to achieve.

If we couldn't sell or buy (or trade) materials, would everyone be just as content finding all those graphene mats, optical lens, aerogels and just ignoring anything that's not in your current build recipe? It seems the developers at least understood that much, ergo the trading at the bartender. In EDO, the magical missing piece is always data. It's not a coincidence that radioactivity and smear campaigns are plentiful but weapon test data and settlement defense plans are rare. FDev even capitulated a bit by offering a bypass of 3 level on some weapons and suits by offering them one-off at the pioneer stores, first come first serve.

The legacy game offered materials but the game wasn't simply a conduit to materials. I played the game for years before I started collecting mats for upgrading. In EDO, you basically start upgrading right away, and the game is just a conduit for upgrading. It's upgrading to be better at getting materials to upgrade, unless you PvP.

But if I am being totally honest, outside of chasing suit and weapon upgrades, what's in EDO where settlements and missions are related? Reputation can be gained without ever stepping foot on the surface of a station or planet. So when you're fully updated on all your suits and your weapons, most of EDO is basically material suppliers pretending to be settlements. Once you don't need their materials, what then? Will you still go there and just ignore the materials? Maybe an assassination, maybe a power recovery? Perhaps if you're participating in the Thargoid narrative and repowering settlements, that's something. Apart from selling these materials to commanders who don't want the grind, I don't see any other content in EDO after only a few weeks that Horizons wasn't already providing. I do like the views though. (exobiology notwithstanding in any of this).

It seems to me there's plenty work arounds for everything already if It only took me a few weeks without even grinding to upgrade everything. I just didn't do the game advertised routes. I took the forum advertised routes instead.

Last edited:
Personally I'd love it if they made those one and done. I have never relogged on a HGE, I have visited Jameson's Cobra twice, once for the lore, second...can't remember, maybe for happy snaps. Dav's Hopeless is something I thoroughly despise (also a one'er for me, lore gain). 😄
Why would it make you happier if they were one and done? How would it affect your game? If you never return there, isn't it the same as far as your gameplay is concerned?

Ah, another re-hash on the engineering "grind", refreshing!
I like how you, or the two people before you, didn't even respond to the best method to get manufactured materials being restarting the game at HGEs or relogging at crashed cobra for encoded mats, what's your solution to those questionable game design choices?
Oddly enough I don't relog, nor do some of the others I play along with. It is very poor gameplay (not that I consider it gameplay at all, but what do I know?) and pure tedium...

But, I do understand that some have no desire to 'just play' and take some time (I didn't engineer at all until I was around 14 months into playing the game - by then I had quite a lot of materials of all grades as they were obviously put in the game for something, so I'd visit USS / HGE that were on my way to wherever I was going)

My own take on it is that all engineering should be purchasable with credits - but put the engineers way out in the sticks in Anarchy systems... (and if the folk who feel the need to flip Anarchy systems get busy, the engineer disappears for ever)

Because it is straight stupid idea. I know, I know, not all people understand, that "faster" not always mean "better".
As a concept I get it - it would be great if games didn't have exploits. This game is basically a trail of exploits, including 3rd party websites that give you everything you need so you don't have to learn everything in game. People use to AFK for hours in conflict zones. You could AFK on passenger missions, and you can still AFK for hours to remove notoriety. People are always going to take the fastest, most comfortable path. It's not possible to force fun on people because they don't see the grind as fun as some others do. So while I wouldn't change the game to make it even easier, I wouldn't get a kick out of closing the door on people after I've had my fill from doing the thing.

I think “ship” engineering is fine with the already present changes that were made some time ago. Maybe the mat trader ratios could be a little less harsh but I don’t think it’s desperate.

However, the “on foot” engineering is - IMO - a total mess. I gave up trying to engineer even one single suit / weapon because I simply couldn’t get certain materials to drop - and I needed ten of them! So I just bought G3 pre-engineered stuff, got bored and went back to ship-based gameplay. Introduce an “on foot” mat trader and I might be tempted to come back - especially if more viable alternatives to murdering entire settlements were introduced for gathering materials.
bartenders sorta trade foot mats. But yeah, its exhausting. I don´t care much for my suit, i have other stuff to do

Meanwhile the active player numbers keep on dropping
Says who? (steam isn't the main platform and that number is higher than in 2019)
-only fdev knows the numbers and saying "do this or everyone leaves" is not doing oneself any favours...

Anywho, it is entirely possible to go to a fumarole field / crystal forest / brain tree site and dump mines in order to farm insanely fast.

FDEV even optimized the limpets for this in one of the recent patches.

Odyssey also gives more mats on successfull haggles.

Material mission rewards exist for that purpose.

For some reason all the guides also completely ignore faction installations that can be motherlodes of mats, both data and otherwise.

Top Bottom