Discussion ED and Frontier's fight against cheaters

So, yesterday I delved a bit into the world of reading process memories, and for a brief time I looked into Elite Dangerous due to the lack of events for shield and hull impacts (we get damage threshold effects in the player log, but not individual impacts, which is what I need).

Now, I know Frontier doesn't allow that and I was just poking around without plans to actually add that to EliteDMX. Pure curiosity. And I found that not only did Frontier start their anti-cheating efforts during beta, but actually kept up the fight into 2016, actively changing stuff, obfuscating float values, using decoy functions, swap stuff around, and specifically keeping boobytraps around to catch people who use old cheats on newer versions. Really quite interesting stuff technically, and it shows that FD is very much monitoring the situation and working to counter cheaters. I was positively surprised.

And then I found various forums (which I'm not going to link) with detailed discussions about how to cheat in ED. Various exploits were apparently used for a long period of time. For example, an exploit which essentially did AFK combat zone farming for you, with your turrets single-shotting all enemies within range. I was only interested in reading data, they were interested in writing stuff and modifying values such as shield strength, weapon energy, weapon damage, etc.
They were also desperately trying to find ways to update the credit balance with a fantasy value, but found that there's lots of serverside checks going on. The good news is that most of the working exploits were countered by Frontier. The bad news is that some things are pretty impossible to solve, in particular an exploit that allows cheaters to combat-log immediately. There's also a damage exploit floating around which seems to be used in PvP, but not shared outside a closely-knit group of cheaters.

The people who create these exploits do it for fun and because they like solving puzzles, but there's a more sinister thing going on as well. In particular, I noticed a group of users of these exploits who go in to the game with the sole purpose of causing mayhem to other players by any means necessary. Their excuse for doing this is: "Elite is a boring game, so I'm cheating against other players because it's more fun".

Specific hints are given to avoid detection or suspicion, for example to never interdict a player who's in a wing because wingmates may observe abnormal performance, or to only use the biggest ships like corvettes when using damage cheats because otherwise it's painfully obvious that there's foul play involved.

So.. yeah. Unfortunately, cheating is a fact. There are people actively using them, either to farm credits in solo mode, or to simply grief (=joining the game with the sole intent of causing damage and frustration to other players, using everything including cheating) other players using an unfair advantage. And when cornered, they will use Logoffsky or similar things to minimize the credit damage to them. The Sidewinder reset is also a commonly used tool to wipe the slate clean, as it were.

To me at least, it was interesting to see this written black on white, including people bragging how they're successfully derailing discussions on this forum about antisocial behavior within the game. It made me see the whole debate about "emergent gameplay" in a different light...

Frontier can not win this fight on a technical front. However the bounty and credit management seems to be safe on a technical level, so I think the only way they can make griefing less enticing is to make sure the consequences don't get wiped so easily. You probably won't be able to curb the afk credit farming or combat logging, but there have been several suggestions for changing the bounty system so that deaths only reduce your bounty, not wipe it clean. They do need to go hand in hand with a profit boost in piracy. These people are not interested in spending time scooping up cargo, they just want to kill you right before you can sell that exploration data, or drop off those modular terminals at the engineer base. Make successful theft of property reduce the bounty and they're no longer interested because that's "boring" to them.

Keep up the efforts FD. There's plenty of times when an update threw them off for considerable amounts of time, and their list of "ABANDONED" and "DO NOT USE" exploits is growing longer with every patch ;)
The fact that Frontier is not just issuing temporary bans, but actually closing accounts is also encouraging.

Note to mods: I purposefully don't provide links or googleable quotes, but if this topic is too problematic please let me know.

I wish people would stop calling Combat logging an exploit, because at least in my eyes, exploits DO something, other then just pulling the plug, which is essentially what combat logging is, is it allowed? heck no, it is an abuse of mechanic, but abusing something is hardly an exploit.

And the way Elite works, p2p, which is used in MANY games for multiplayer of late, that is one thing that is very difficult to track, because essentially letting your player 'stay' because another player who is a 'host' of sort, even in p2p, would mean you'd open up to other exploits, that are, code wise, a lot harder to handle.

Add that combat logging generally ONLY affects others when it comes to PvP, in a game that is NOT a PvP game, I totally get why they have it on a very low priority.
And frankly until there is a solid consequence system, so that griefers won't basically 'win' if an anti combat log system came in, I think it is going to stay the way it is now, because legality of combat logging or not, many seem to do it, because they want to avoid having their game ruined by some random person on a hissyfit, and I entirely get that, you play a game to have fun, not to be subject of someone who wants to bully you around.

That said, yes, I also agree that some people see a lot of legit PvP as griefing, which it is now.
Killing a person without a reason that is based in game, but 'just because'/'it is fun' that is griefing. Killing a person because you are protecting your home system or such, or anything that is consistent in nature, is fine.
But say claiming that every system you are in now is 'your' system and killing people to 'defend' your system, would be griefing.

Last edited:
xondk, they're actively killing the process of sending a request to the FD servers. So they're doing a bit more than pulling the plug ;)

There will always be children, the impatient and the immature in any multiplayer game who ruin the experience for others routinely. I just hope an effective banhammer can be designed to minimize their impact on the rest. Other games have done it previously. It isn't hard, it just takes will (and support from the community at large).

xondk, they're actively killing the process of sending a request to the FD servers. So they're doing a bit more than pulling the plug ;)

Unplugging you lamp next to you is actively ending the electricity's session. However it has no effect on either the lamp or the wall socket. So yes it is exactly like pulling a plug.

There is not one single mission type or profession set up or created around the killing of other players. Yet people insist that there are professions created around player killing. That is either willful ignorance or a coping mechanism for fulfilling their need to feel special.

Combat logging only effects the player who caused the log and the player who is actually logging. Destroying 20 or 30 hours of work is no small matter. Just because one person who happens to be bored because of exploiting in game mechanics to become multimillionaires, does not give them the right to basically steal time from another player. When it boils down to it that is all there is to this game. How much time you have invested is the only real currency in this game. Since time is not something you can get back and is subjective, then there really is no agreed price that can placed on someone elses time. With the acceptation of hardcore modes in other games, EDs all or nothing approach to player interaction is archaic to say the least.

So if someone chooses not to allow someone else to steal time away from them, then that is their prerogative. Its not cheating however it is exploiting a mechanic. Make it worthwhile experience for both participants and people will stop doing it.

With the blown out broken balancing issues between ship types and Engineering mods, it literally is the only defense that a good majority of the ships have. Considering FDEV have not provided any useful counter defense to base weapons let alone engineered weapons.

There will always be children, the impatient and the immature in any multiplayer game who ruin the experience for others routinely. I just hope an effective banhammer can be designed to minimize their impact on the rest. Other games have done it previously. It isn't hard, it just takes will (and support from the community at large).

Yes children who played the original games and were alive before games like this were even thought of let alone designed. I have no idea of the children of which you speak, but your willful and spiteful attempts at sounding superior is quiet funny and sad to say the least.

Other games have checks and balances in place for disruptive game play and for the most part the only people that get banned are the ones who are ruining it for the majority.

Since PKers and Griefers are but a small loud and boring minority in this game, the hammer will swing your way well before it touches anyone else.

If you call this a difference between PVP mindset and PVE mindset, then I also call you on your . There is no no Player Versus Player in ED. Open does not equal PVP. Open does not mean you agree to be the victim to other more psychotic player types.

The undeniable fact that people who partake in player killing exclusively in an open environment game could never and will never exist if there was a challange. If trade vessels could ever defend themselves and have an equal chance at destroying a PKer, that will be the day the griefing community quits.

The only reason why people like you exist is because right now FDEV have chosen not to address the issue. Once they do, and they will, then all your type of peoples whining will amount to nothing. You will no longer play this game or you will show yourselves as the posers that you are and fall in line with the rest of the player base.

@zambrick: where have you been all my life.

@thread: moving to api-development is a cool move. even better than locking.

Top Bottom