ED Astrometrics: Maps and Visualizations

Added a spreadsheet for systems with rare quantities of the high-value planets (ELW, AW, WW). Mainly I wanted to see a list of known systems with 6+ WWs or 3+ ELWs, so this spreadsheet includes systems that score "6" or higher, via this equation:

score = 2*ELWs + WWs + AWs

Link: https://edastro.com/mapcharts/files/valuable-planet-systems.csv

At the moment this generates a list of 964 systems, with a lot of obvious hand-created ones in the bubble included.

In my day-job, we usually avoid doing large joins in a database, since it can be heavy-hitting on a production system when you have large data sets. But it's so useful here, I've had to give myself a refresher on the difference between INNER JOIN and LEFT JOIN in MySQL. :D

Is it possible to include the commanders that first submitted those systems?

I might have to base it off the planets, where names are included. EDSM didn't start attaching names in the tables that are used for the nightly dumps until sometime in 2018, and still doesn't include it for systems.

Awesome visualizations.

Reminds me of a fairly crude attempt I made a couple of years back to visualize the named (spherical) Sectors based on EDSM data.

XaKGOUH.png

gEONN1y.png
Presumably, you'd be able to crank out a new map assigning the sector part of star names to a color to provide a more accurate visualization than mine.
Potentially, that would show the region cubes too.

Last edited:
Awesome visualizations.

Reminds me of a fairly crude attempt I made a couple of years back to visualize the named (spherical) Sectors based on EDSM data.

Presumably, you'd be able to crank out a new map assigning the sector part of star names to a color to provide a more accurate visualization than mine.

Very cool! It's something that certainly isn't obvious in-game. Visualized like this, you can see just how numerous the named sectors are.

Awesome visualizations.

I remember stumbling across that back when I was still trying to wrap my head around names and navigation. (Early on, I was extremely befuddled by the fact that it seemed like the bubble was surrounded by a shell of something called Col 285, but since I didn't yet get how sectors are nested I couldn't for the life of me figure out the geometry.) It was useful, thanks! I also found the "Jackie's Map" tool, which does the same thing in 2D, but is interactive. I've been noodling around with the idea of making an interactive 3D version based on the ED3D WebGL tool, but it hasn't happened yet. While now it would mostly be a curiosity, it's something I really wished for back when I was working out how to navigate to and around Barnard's Loop.

This is brilliant. Have only just found it. I can see my little hotspot of activity at Eord Flyue!

O7 CMDR. Lavian Brandy is behind the bar at Jaques for you.

Coupled with the region borders, that's really quite useful. Thanks! Any way we could help with adding more nebulae? What would you need for them, system names?

Coupled with the region borders, that's really quite useful. Thanks! Any way we could help with adding more nebulae? What would you need for them, system names?

I've just been visually scanning through EDSM's interactive map, to figure out which ones probably correspond to the hot-spots. From there, the clickable pop-ups have the info I need, which I'm using for copy/paste.

The easiest thing for me is copy/paste of the nebula name, reference system name, and the coordinates.

One of these days I'll make it smarter and put these in a database or something too. But right now it's just going straight into the javascript for the page.

Last edited:
As a follow-up to the above, I've started moving the POIs into CSV files for the webserver to use. The nebulae are split into a few lists depending on whether they have bases or not.

Here's the regular nebulae, in case you want to see what I'm using:

https://edastro.com/galmap/POI-nebulae.csv

EDIT: I started out trying to add the obvious hot-spots on the map, but I ended up working toward adding all of the nebulae. Gotta love feature-creep. :D

Last edited:
And now I should have most of the major nebulae included, at least so far as what's on EDSM's map with the GMP POIs (that's a lot of abbreviations!) ... I've probably missed some, and it's possible there are more out there without EDSM/GMP entries. I tried to skip obvious cases of small planetary nebulae being mislabeled as regular nebulae.

There are still a lot of hot-spots that I don't have information on. Many are probably expedition base camps, or places that attracted attention for specific reasons at one time or another.

And now I should have most of the major nebulae included, at least so far as what's on EDSM's map with the GMP POIs (that's a lot of abbreviations!) ... I've probably missed some, and it's possible there are more out there without EDSM/GMP entries. I tried to skip obvious cases of small planetary nebulae being mislabeled as regular nebulae.

There are still a lot of hot-spots that I don't have information on. Many are probably expedition base camps, or places that attracted attention for specific reasons at one time or another.

Thanks for this addition! At least for me, having more POI markers makes it much easier to orient myself on the sparser parts of the map. Otherwise I found myself doing a lot of the "mouse around to get coordinates, then flip to EDSM to see what's there" dance.

Does EDSM export the POI list in a machine readable form somewhere? Might be easier going forward just to consume the full list if they do. Although at this point you're already well on your way to just reimplementing the EDSM galaxy map with a different image layer...

EDIT: And now for a bug report. Looking around, it seems like some of the new POIs you imported are conflicting with the ones you previously had. In particular, what caught my attention is that the Planetary Base marker for Polo Harbor has been replaced with a plain nebula marker for the Venetian Nebula. But maybe there's more going on here, because the Sacaqawea Space Port marker has not been replaced, and there is no mention of the Skaudai Nebula.

Last edited:
Top Bottom