ED core game & Odyssey question

So, I started playing ED on Xbox one, primarily because my pc at the time wasn’t up to par for Elite Dangerous needs to be appreciated.
Finally I upgraded my battle station to a Razer Blade 15 with the upgrades RTX 3070 & 10th Gen I7 32Gb ram so I can get a quality experience to fully appreciate the game.
Now that I’m ready to get going on PC it seems like a nice time with Odyssey Deluxe edition being available to get an early taste but knowing it’s coming.
The one thing I can find info on and maybe I missed a stupidly obvious answer somewhere, but either way do I need to buy the ED core game if I get the ED: Odyssey deluxe edition?

I knew I would have to pay for it when I switched to pc, but not sure if I need to buy both or just the new deluxe edition available and would like to avoid buying something unnecessary. Also, if both are required I could wait a bit to get past the initial steps in game and buy the odyssey content once I have hit a point where my progress and ship are even at a point to get the real odyssey experience. I honestly don’t know how early in the game you can start getting into odyssey’s boots on the ground combat scenarios.

any help is appreciated, I know it’s probably a case where most won’t really know because they already owned ED awhile before Odyssey was even a consideration, but here’s hoping.
Thanks
Reaper

Much appreciated for the quick reply. Now the big question I need to look into is if I should get odyssey right away for any preorder content since it’s not a preorder tomorrow. But exciting time for the game.

So, I started playing ED on Xbox one, primarily because my pc at the time wasn’t up to par for Elite Dangerous needs to be appreciated.
Finally I upgraded my battle station to a Razer Blade 15 with the upgrades RTX 3070 & 10th Gen I7 32Gb ram so I can get a quality experience to fully appreciate the game.
Now that I’m ready to get going on PC it seems like a nice time with Odyssey Deluxe edition being available to get an early taste but knowing it’s coming.
The one thing I can find info on and maybe I missed a stupidly obvious answer somewhere, but either way do I need to buy the ED core game if I get the ED: Odyssey deluxe edition?

I knew I would have to pay for it when I switched to pc, but not sure if I need to buy both or just the new deluxe edition available and would like to avoid buying something unnecessary. Also, if both are required I could wait a bit to get past the initial steps in game and buy the odyssey content once I have hit a point where my progress and ship are even at a point to get the real odyssey experience. I honestly don’t know how early in the game you can start getting into odyssey’s boots on the ground combat scenarios.

any help is appreciated, I know it’s probably a case where most won’t really know because they already owned ED awhile before Odyssey was even a consideration, but here’s hoping.
Thanks
Reaper
Buy both, eschew the freewinder and start on foot, working your way up from the gutters to your first ship.

I would wait until Odyssey goes live, such a fantastic opportunity to start a new character and experience fresh on-foot start!

Also, if both are required I could wait a bit to get past the initial steps in game and buy the odyssey content once I have hit a point where my progress and ship are even at a point to get the real odyssey experience. I honestly don’t know how early in the game you can start getting into odyssey’s boots on the ground combat scenarios.
Judging from the Alpha you can start right away with Odyssey. You just need a suit and a gun which doesn't cost much.

I honestly don’t know how early in the game you can start getting into odyssey’s boots on the ground combat scenarios.
You can buy basically an entire basic Odyssey kit - all three suits and a set of weapons - for about a million credits. You can earn the money to do that with your starting Odyssey flightsuit and pistol. And you'll need a small ship ideally with SRV to carry you around to some of the locations because the NPC transport services are limited.

The oft-quoted ability to play the game without ever using your ship is only technically true (you'd be seriously limited in what you could do, and miss out on even a lot of the on-foot content) but it's certainly - like a lot of the Horizons surface content - something you can start with on day one, and you could certainly play mostly on-foot content with your ship mainly a tool to get from A to B if you wanted.

Now that the Alpha is over there is no point in paying extra for the Deluxe edition, you will not gain anything over the standard pre-order.

The Deluxe Edition was just the regular preorder with Alpha access. The regular preorder bonus is the Pioneer Suit cosmetic.
They have not said they that will never make that available to players that have not preordered. You may be able to get that cosmetic at some point later on even if you don't preorder. I suspect there will be plenty of other suit and player cosmetics coming out soon anyway.

Is my memory playing up, or have they reduced the cost of the Deluxe Edition since the Alpha ended?
Yes they have £40 to £34.99 on Steam, although now that the Alpha has ended, I can't see what you are getting with the Deluxe version of the DLC for an extra £5?

You can buy basically an entire basic Odyssey kit - all three suits and a set of weapons - for about a million credits. You can earn the money to do that with your starting Odyssey flightsuit and pistol. And you'll need a small ship ideally with SRV to carry you around to some of the locations because the NPC transport services are limited.
Well, you could buy all that for 1m credits in the alpha. I hope at least some stuff changed in relation to Odyssey's economy for launch but I don't hold out on that hope.

And "flight suit and pistol" is fairly restricted in terms of what you can do. Basically, it lets you do some "courier" missions (fetch the object). Some other missions types might be gamed up if you employ some tricks. A couple courier missions lets you buy a new suit and forever say goodbye to the flight suit because it"s roundly useless.

It wasn't a stellar first day in the game experience (even counting for the planned tutorial we're getting on release). So I hope some of that feedback was listened to. In Alpha, it was basically "you get to feel really useless until you buy a suit then after that we'll let you enjoy yourself"

Last edited:
Well, you could buy all that for 1m credits in the alpha. I hope at least some stuff changed in relation to Odyssey's economy for launch but I don't hold out on that hope.
It may have done, though given how useless the flight suit is, making the basic suits and weapons more expensive would be bad.

Top Bottom