ED Profiler blocked by "Administrator" in Win 10

First off, I am the Administrator.

So I recently purchased a Quest 2 and have been enjoying it but have yet to play Elite with it because my system keeps telling me that "the Administrator" has blocked the Setup of EDProfiler because it poses a security risk to my computer. My security settings do not allow this application to be installed on my computer.

qQarX2Z.png

Well that's a bunch of malarkey since I install software frequently with no issues.

So far I have tried .....
Turning off "Check apps and files" and the "Potentially unwanted app blocking" tick boxes in Windows Security App & Browser control
Right-click the setup file and Run as Administrator
Tried running setup from an Elevated Command Prompt (file did not even run here)
I even logged into the Elevated Administrator Account and tried running Setup from there (both left and right-click ways) and still got the "blocked" error message

I know this program runs since I am willing to bet that all/most of you here in this forum use it in some fashion. Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution?

Edit....

I run E:D from the Frontier launcher and really don't want to have to buy another way to play the game, ie: Steam or Oculus.

Last edited:
Solution found. It's apparently a registry issue.

Solution found. It's apparently a registry issue.
I'd not describe it as a registry issue and I can understand WHY altering that registry value circumvented your problem.
The registry was almost certainly as it should be for system security,

The reason the application installation was bring blocked was because the code was not cryptographically signed. Code signing allows a file containing executable code to be both attributed to a specific developer, and also ensures its integrity (that it is as that identified developer intended it to be, and has not been tampered with). This is an increasingly important pillar of IT security. Often malicious applications are unsigned, or occasionally non malicious programs on the internet are subsisted for versions of the program thhat habe malicious code added (by a third party attacking the distribution point and replating the code there)

I believe the setting that was changed would have removed the check that code is signed. Hence your system is now less protected against malicious code. I'm NOT saying that Ed profiller is malicious.I have no experience of it, but given the amazing community around ED, it almost certainly isn't. However your computer and modern OSs need to take a more black and white view, and since the program is not signed, it is blocked as untrusted.

Code signing does incur costs for the developer as it means they need to putchase and maintain a code signing certificate. Most amateur developers will not have the resources to do this, hence these ad-hoc programs being released unsigned.

Top Bottom