ED PS4 Hijack?

I don't mean to sound like too much of an a***, but am I the only one who feels like ED groups and communities on PS4 are being hijacked by migrating Xbox and PC players?

I may not be very vocal on these forums but I have been waiting for the ED release on PS4 ever since I first read it was an Xbox timed exclusive -not sure how long exactly definitely over a year. Yet so far almost every group or community getting ready and planning for the upcoming release seems to be orchastrated by players from another platform.

I understand that there is a lot to learn with a game like ED, and I know real advice and guidance from experience is extremely valuable, but to me learning is half the fun, its why I loved EVE so much, and I'd like to find a good community that plays in open to join where everyone learns together and helps each other out, but I don't want that group to be lead by people who feel entitled to lead because they have experience from another platform.

Am I being stupid? Just thought I'd share my thoughts and get some feedback.

They are jealous of course. ;)

I don't think they feel entitled, its more like they simply want to help new players.
The game's learning curve was very steep for me. Any help is good help.

I want it on PS4 too, but am waiting for a price drop in the console first.

I am not sure what you have to be concerned about.
It is not surprising that a lot of those posting on this forum at the moment have either a PC or Xbox as well as a PS4.

There is not a lot of PS4 Elite TV advertising so a large number of people posting will have come across from the other platforms.

As long as there isn't any PC / Xbox / PS4 flamewars then their existing knowledge of the game will only help new PS4 commanders.

I don't mean to sound like too much of an a***, but am I the only one who feels like ED groups and communities on PS4 are being hijacked by migrating Xbox and PC players?

I may not be very vocal on these forums but I have been waiting for the ED release on PS4 ever since I first read it was an Xbox timed exclusive -not sure how long exactly definitely over a year. Yet so far almost every group or community getting ready and planning for the upcoming release seems to be orchastrated by players from another platform.

I understand that there is a lot to learn with a game like ED, and I know real advice and guidance from experience is extremely valuable, but to me learning is half the fun, its why I loved EVE so much, and I'd like to find a good community that plays in open to join where everyone learns together and helps each other out, but I don't want that group to be lead by people who feel entitled to lead because they have experience from another platform.

Am I being stupid? Just thought I'd share my thoughts and get some feedback.

your not being stupid at all, but to be honest i would rather have some one with experience of running an elite dangerous group over someone who hasn't got the foggiest. because from what i have seen it takes a lot of logistical planning and coordination to get members of a group to do anything together. but once we find our feet and get the hang of things i can see a lot of ps4 players making groups of there own eventually

I am not sure what you have to be concerned about.
It is not surprising that a lot of those posting on this forum at the moment have either a PC or Xbox as well as a PS4.

There is not a lot of PS4 Elite TV advertising so a large number of people posting will have come across from the other platforms.

As long as there isn't any PC / Xbox / PS4 flamewars then their existing knowledge of the game will only help new PS4 commanders.

AGREED, to be honest, I have joined these forums for this very reason. that I will be getting advice/experience from PC/XBOX users. These are the good folks who are replying to my threads and questions, in turn, giving me knowledge about the game that I have been desperate to play for the last 2 years.

I can, however, OP see your point and I know what you mean. But in reality, the beauty of this game is you do not have to interact with anyone at all. it is a mighty big galaxy, I love being on my own but also love having a game with others so it will be a bit of both for me. I am sure there will be plenty of first-timers as well. I am one of them!!!

Yeah, thinking about it, I just felt like PS4 ED was just going to end up with the same groups (good bad and ugly) that already exist on PC and Xbox that would end up dictating how open play works out. However in time that will hopefully change and PS4 ED will have its own unique groups and communities.

Maybe if I'm not too lazy I might start one myself.

your not being stupid at all, but to be honest i would rather have some one with experience of running an elite dangerous group over someone who hasn't got the foggiest. because from what i have seen it takes a lot of logistical planning and coordination to get members of a group to do anything together. but once we find our feet and get the hang of things i can see a lot of ps4 players making groups of there own eventually

Personally I'd rather start with a bunch of noobs like myself and laugh till my ribs hurt whilst we look like idiots. [haha]

Last edited:
Not sure about hijacking. From what I have read, it seems there are folks who really want to help PS4ers get started.

I don't see a problem with players coming to the PS4. Actually, more the merrier.

The PS4 community needs to show Frontier we want them to succeed and progress the environment.

i.e. I welcome Deep Recon X's "A Grand Day Out" event (Full disclosure, I've already signed up). Since they have done these events on other platforms, issues regarding the planning and execution will be minimal. (Well, I'm a noob, so YMMV)

I know reclusivemonkey was trying to get something started (FD: I signed up). If reclusivemonkey decides to do one in the future, I'd go along.

It is also my understanding that you can choose how much interaction with others you wish. If someone decides to look down on the noob PS4er (me), I'm sure there is a way in game to deal with them. I haven't played Elite Dangerous, so I could be wrong. :)

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
In some ways it's true. The already established groups would always come to Playstation. I have not joined a group yet as I feel it's too early to do so. I may get involved in the DRX expedition but won't be joining DRX unless it did grow a lot more for PS4.

For info the discord server set up by TheSypnoticVision/WilfridSephiroth has 4 PS4 admins and one from Xbox. It's growing with PS4 players everyday. Jon and Aurorablad and myself are 100% PS4. I've played the PC version for around 15 hours and once the PS4 version arrives I probably won't touch the PC version again. Seph has played the PC version also but I believe his intentions are similar to mine.

Neither of us played Elite Dangerous till after the PS4 announcement.

Cheers

Last edited:
There are nuts like me who has played ever version of the Elite games since 1984. I invested in a $7000 computer for business in audio/video productions but used it to play Elite Dangerous. I've been with ED since 2014 and have all the A-Rated ships, billions of credits and with my experience can quickly come up to speed with the PS4 version. There are thousands more like me with the experience starting out with the PS4. But I have never attacked a live player in the game always looking for a Meet 'n Greet. You won't do so well with other Open players.

Playstation already has several community groups including Mobius. Given the advanced communications that Sony has with the Playstation it is going to be an awesome experience. Next up is the established Sony Playstation VR and Frontier would be an idiot not to take advantage of their technology.

Hijacked is maybe too strong a word, but I certainly know how you feel. As UnionCarbide said, I have created a thread with both a private group and an exploration event to try and create our own identity. That being said I think it's just a product of us coming 'late' to the game. I am pretty sure the XBox guys felt the same way, and I bet the PC players felt the same when the Alpha/Beta players had been there before them.

However most of the people I've encountered have been nothing but helpful and accommodating and not pushy in any way. When I posted the idea of an exploration event I was always going to seek out some help from more experienced players; as it turned out Wilfred had already done this and approached me with what was pretty much what I had in mind. I really did not want to 'split' people so early on so despite the desire to forge our own way I decided to join forces.

I am an introvert by nature and have never played games online before but ED seems different somehow. As this is a sandbox game, some of the best/coolest things in the game have been created by player groups and they have only been able to do this by creating large networks of players.

Thanks for this post, I know your intentions were well founded and I think it's voiced things a lot of people were thinking and afforded us as a community to talk about this. I am confident that the PS4 community will bring it's own identity to the ED galaxy.

Personally I'd rather start with a bunch of noobs like myself and laugh till my ribs hurt whilst we look like idiots. [haha]

I hear ya! It will be even worse if FDev allows account transfers... Like many social gatherings IRL, I'm going to find me a nice, quiet corner with a clear path to the food & drink bar.

I don't think people will need to worry about hijacking . . . everyone will be starting off the same as I doubt FDev will allow account transfers (they haven't so far, so why start now). Even though I've played ED on PC since it first launched I will be happily n00bing around the place trying out things I've not got around to in game yet (I've not bother with faction ranks at all so far, for instance, and have not done multi-crew at all), whilst trying to get the credits together to fit out some form of explorer ship ready for A Grand Day Out.

Still, if you do spot me (Cmdr Jaeniez) in game feel free to hail me. If I'm able to help I'll try to do so (though if I'm in the middle of a fight you may have to wait until I've finished with the re-buy screen first<g>)

Yeah, thinking about it, I just felt like PS4 ED was just going to end up with the same groups (good bad and ugly) that already exist on PC and Xbox that would end up dictating how open play works out. However in time that will hopefully change and PS4 ED will have its own unique groups and communities.

That's how most the XBox One groups are :S a minor subset of a bigger PC Wing....

Message to the pc and xbox community: PLEASE STOP TRYING TO BE WELCOMING AND FRIENDLY. Thank you.

actually the opposite, and to be honest there should be no need for negative comments about our pc/xb1 commrades. i for one have learned a lot from them and i am grateful for the help, so please lets not be so negative and lets all get along.

Message to the pc and xbox community: PLEASE STOP TRYING TO BE WELCOMING AND FRIENDLY. Thank you.

actually the opposite, and to be honest there should be no need for negative comments about our pc/xb1 commrades. i for one have learned a lot from them and i am grateful for the help, so please lets not be so negative and lets all get along.

I agree with Acid Burn. I am very thankful to have the Fuel Rats on call if I need them. I also plan to call on some Elite combat fighters if I get harassed by griefers. All that said, I prefer to learn things on my own, even if it's the slow, hard way, than to have my hand held. Perhaps this is the result of being raised by an overprotective mother.

I will give some advice to the veterans. I've played MMOs for years now, and I've been both the new character and the veteran character. As a new character, I found that much of the "help" offered actually ruined the experience for me. Many MMO vets are all about grinding levels as fast as possible. They treat every dungeon / area as a buckyball race, whereas I just want to take my time and enjoy the new sights and sounds. I also want a challenge, so when a vet comes in and obliterates everything in sight before I can get a shot off, that's not really helping me. When I'm the vet helping others, I tend to stay back and only jump in when the new player is obviously being overwhelmed. I let the new player set the pace (they lead, I follow). I tend to pick roles that are helpful without being overbearing - tank or healer. I'll let a boss pound on me while the new guy can enjoy beating on the boss. Or I heal / buff the new guy. If a veteran goes in all DPS, what he / she is doing is stealing the fun & glory from the new guy.

I agree with Acid Burn. I am very thankful to have the Fuel Rats on call if I need them. I also plan to call on some Elite combat fighters if I get harassed by griefers. All that said, I prefer to learn things on my own, even if it's the slow, hard way, than to have my hand held. Perhaps this is the result of being raised by an overprotective mother.

I will give some advice to the veterans. I've played MMOs for years now, and I've been both the new character and the veteran character. As a new character, I found that much of the "help" offered actually ruined the experience for me. Many MMO vets are all about grinding levels as fast as possible. They treat every dungeon / area as a buckyball race, whereas I just want to take my time and enjoy the new sights and sounds. I also want a challenge, so when a vet comes in and obliterates everything in sight before I can get a shot off, that's not really helping me. When I'm the vet helping others, I tend to stay back and only jump in when the new player is obviously being overwhelmed. I let the new player set the pace (they lead, I follow). I tend to pick roles that are helpful without being overbearing - tank or healer. I'll let a boss pound on me while the new guy can enjoy beating on the boss. Or I heal / buff the new guy. If a veteran goes in all DPS, what he / she is doing is stealing the fun & glory from the new guy.

Couldn't agree more, after all you only truly learn by making mistakes (and I know I've made plenty)

Top Bottom