ED refuses to start

Hi,

From experience, I would never use a registry cleaner without checking what it is going to delete.

Also, back up the registry before using a cleaner, just in case...

Martin

Also, random software errors may arise from hidden hardware errors. For example, at some point Elite Dangerous on my PC would not launch. It would just crash before showing the logo. There would also be an occasional BSOD. All the other games worked fine - I checked my antivirus, permission settings, tweaked some graphics settings... at the end I did a RAM test and found out that one of the modules is gone bad. It might be a good idea to run a hard drive test for corrupt sectors, a RAM test, etc...

Before doing that, you might want to create a new user and try installing Elite from there, like @X2611 said.
Hmmm ... that thing wiped all my restore points so I binned it - it used to be good but became horrible.
You can uncheck that box.

Was playing fine yesterday. I try to play today, and the PLAY button in the launcher goes pale as usual, but nothing happens and it just lights up again. I tried the validate game files option, and I get "Unhandled exception, access to the path is denied". Clock Ok on that and the launcher just dies. I'm running an Admin account, so what the hell? Hope to god I don;t have to install this thing again, cos it screwed up in the last update and that was the only thing that got it workign again. It takes HOURS to download the damn files. It's not antivirus, since nothing has changed from yesterday.
Once it happened to me. It was fixed by repairing the Visual C++ redistributable version 20XX (I can't remember which one, I think it was 2013) in Control Panel --> Programs

Finally fixed it. I was due to an anti-virus update that for some reason did not complete properly until after a second restart. I suddenly got a popup that said "AV update completed" and after that the reinstall worked fine. I have no idea why the update should have locked access to ED, since it did not for any other game, nor why it did not complete on the first reboot, nor why whitelisting ED did not work either.

Restarting is an obvious step, and I did not resort to uninstalls/resinstalls until I'd tried it. It should have fixed the problem, but did not, so I blame the AV software!

Thanks for the advice guys.

And...it's doing it again! Launcher will not start ED, the validate files option produces the access denied popup. Again. W.T.F.

It could be that the Anti-virus is making Elite and the validate program run in a sandbox mode (reduced permissions). You could try find a way to give these programs the necessary permission to run in the anti virus or as the other CMDR suggested uninstall anti virus (and reboot) and try run elite again. If it runs you've found your culprit.

Uninstall the garbage anti virus. If you are using the other garbage, Win10, then Windows Defender is all you need. If Win7, download MS Security Essentials. Been using it from the start and never had any problems or viruses. If that fails do a system restore to a point before it still worked.

Did you try creating the new user account and logging in with that?

A late note: I had the same "Unhandled exception" error and at long last found a solution - uninstalling the latest .NET framework update fixed it for me.

OP had the same issue the start button not working eventually found by switching off Avast anti virus when playing elite got it working. Haven't had the issue since.
Though I had the Elite files mapped in Avast it didn't allow the it to start? So I just turn it off when playing.

Top Bottom