Release EDCodex. The complete list of third-party tools for Elite Dangerous - Community driven website

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer

Update 23th of January 2016.
Brilliant news: On the 5th of January 2016, Zac Antonaci -Head of Community Management of FD- wrote in the "Open Letter to Frontier Developments" thread that usage of the iPhone companion app api is LEGAL. Source. Which makes the usage of tools which use this api like EDMC, EDAPI and EDCE LEGAL. Other great news: On the 18th of January 2016, Brett C. -Community Assistant/Manager of FD- created the "Elite Dangerous->Gameplay and Features->Player Tools & API Development" subforum. Its an excellent place for checking out new and existing tools. The EDCodex thread is also there.

edbanner.jpg

EDCodex is basically the on steroids community driven website version of the third party tools thread by Wolverine2710. Biobob kindly enough offered to create the website - which provides far more functionality. He performed miracles. Work started end of March and now its finally ready for release. After release new functionality is however planned.

The site is equally suited for regular PC´s, tablets and smartphones. Other design goals: speed, scalable and Search engine optimization (SEO) -so that entries can be easily found by commanders.

Purpose

Providing a complete overview of all available third party tools, interesting threads, community websites,wikis and videos - all four are called entries on EDCodex. You might ask why? Due to the way the FD forum works a lot of good entries get snowed under very fast and the authors do NOT get the exposure they clearly deserve. For casual forums users, getting an overview of all entries is nearly impossible. Something we think is very important, especially for those new to Elite: Dangerous.

Mantra

• SEARCH FORCOMMUNITY TOOLS, THREADS, MEDIA.
  • SHARE YOUR ED PROJECT, WEBSITE, TUTORIALS.
  • FOLLOW YOUR FAVORITE TOOLS TO KEEP AN EYE ON THEM.
Vision

Community driven. Collecting, storing of ED related entries and sharing it with the community.

• All authors of an entry in EDCodex are encouraged to edit it and to add new entries. All known authors of entries have received an inivitation 9-11 days and became owner of their entry before the official release.
  • All adminitrators of community websites, wikis are encouraged to use the content of EDCodex. There is an export function (text and JSON format) for each entry. Also an API (output in JSOn format) is in place so that all content (including history) can be imported and used in their in other websites, wikis. The documentation will be made available ASAP.
  • RSS feeds exist for all sections so you can keep track of everything which has been added and/or changed. In total 19 different RSS are available by default.
  • EDCodex it self is open sourced under a MIT license. Any one can setup a similar site or enhance the current version. Pull requests can be created and can,will be merged into the source and the website.
  • The EDCodex content is and needs to be a community driven effort. Any registered user can add entries. Authors of an existing entry can "claim" and edit it. Authors can give edit permissions to others if they are not able to update their entries.
  • Its impossible for biobob and myself to keep track of everything. We are providing the EDCodex tool and have filled with approx 162 to get things started!
EDCodex is an ads free website. You do not need to register. All content is available for everybody.
Should you deem it worthwhile to register you will have some additional advantages.
  • Share your project with the Elite Dangerous community.
  • Alert everyone about interesting wiki(s) / thread(s) about ED.
  • Save your favorite tools in your personal list.
  • Get your personalized RSS feed for only the content you want
  • Manage your personal space: all your submissions and favorites
  • Reduced headers for the homepage and all other pages.
  • More options are planned and are on the roadmap.
Links

Credits:

• Jamesremuscat. For his great help with migrating the website from test server to the current server. VERY much appreciated.
  • Cmmcleod. Proof reading the website text of EDCodex - English is not our mother language. Providing feedback and the code for the waiting spinner.
  • Vivio Technologies for free hosting. After I created the EDDN thread I was contacted by commander Errantthought. He and his manager both play ED. After talking to his boss he was able to offer me a free hosting solution (VPS Hosting) for the EDDN. Now its also used for EDCodex. I want to thank them both and their company for donating the resources to make EDCodex and EDDN possible.
Its our hope you like EDCodex and help us to make our vision of it a reality.

This Message is Brought to you By commander biobob and commander Wolverine.

Last edited:
Marvelous job. Looking forward to going through it this evening.

Put up a donation option, especially if you won't have banner ads. That's a lot of work to do entirely out of the kindness of your heart.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Marvelous job. Looking forward to going through it this evening.

Put up a donation option, especially if you won't have banner ads. That's a lot of work to do entirely out of the kindness of your heart.

Thanks for your kind words. I hope you enjoy the website and find many many new tools, threads you didn´t know before ;-)
I´ve to correct you "your heart" should ofc be "our hearts". As the OP stated the excellent coding has been done by biobob. There is a lot of power in the tool, only a small part is visible to the end users. The admin tools are the real hidden gem ;-)

I´ve to admit, this project has been one totally humongous time sink. When the time would have been used for playing ED I probably would have been the owner of a few fully kitted nice ships, top of the line being a conda ;-)

Last edited:
I hope everyone will enjoy EDCodex
@Darret: about the donation button, I worked on EDCodex because I love ED & coding, we got also a free VPS hosting thanks to Vivio Technologies,
now if users will find EDCodex useful and if there enough contributions by the community, I think it will be enough for us :)

Well, accept the gift of Internet Points in lieu of a donation from me then. Great job by both of you, much appreciated.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
The site has been live for approx 4 hours now. So far the website has been as stable and fast as during the development and the pre release phase. A good sign ;-)

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Ask a question tool. Example usage: feature requests and FAQ section

In the top right corner there is a "Ask a question" link. You might ask what this is for. This points to a so called Q&A (QA) tool. We are using Question2Answer which is a free and open source platform for Q&A sites. You can use "Ask a question" for any question. Though we prefer that you use the github repository issue page for reporting EDCodex issues. Also feature requests are a perfect candidate for the QA tool. Note: We are using the QA tool for a Frequently asked questions list. That way there is a central place for that and we can refer to that.

If you want to ask a question you HAVE to register to EDCodex. This is to prevent SPAM in the QA tool. If you are logged into EDCodex and click the "Ask a question" link you will be automatically logged in the QA tool. When asking a question good practice is to setup up one or more tags. For a feature requests this is the tag "feature-request". When a feauture request is implemented the tag "implemented is set"

The QA tool allows you to search for specific tags. Use the TAGS link for that. You will see a list of popular tags which you can select. The QA also allows admins to setup up categories. Two have been implemented: FAQ and "implemented requests"
For EDCodex

Show all feature requests
Show all implemented feature requests
Show the FAQ list

Note: This post will after some editing also be transfered to the FAQ list.

Update: Added the FAQ list to the OP.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Request for volunteers - FD community fansites. Adding missing ones to EDCodex.

Normally I would have done this myself before the official release but I didn´t manage that. Atm still over my eyeballs in work wrt to the official release of EDCodex. Hence I could really use a hand or two ;-)

On the official ED Community website which is in Beta in the section "Fansites" there are quite a few entries (mostly community websites, wikis, forums) which are atm not in EDCodex. It would be great if someone with a bit of time could add one or more of those to EDCodex. That would be greatly appreciated. EDCodex after all aims to be a community driven website;-)

Note: You only need to register to EDCodex. After that you can immediately add entries. For community websites, wikis, forums please add it as a "community". If you can´t find the author just leave it blank. I will dig into that later. The most important part is that the entries are added to EDCodex ;-)

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Looks like a very good project, and a great way to support those tools/sites (added link back to support). are you still looking for a hand?

YES we are!
WELCOME ON BOARD.

You can send me a PM to discuss some details but in general its like I described. Go to the ED fansite, pick the first title there, use the EDC search function (searches for title and author name) and check if it exists. If so, go to the next. If not please be so kind to add it ;-)

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Clearly a great deal of work has gone in to creating this, I look forward to giving it a good look over. +rep :)

Your welcome. You have NO idea what a time sink this was/is.
I just hope you enjoy it, that is the only that thing that matters to us (biobob and myself).
We sincerely hope it will give authors who are less known and hence got snowed in the forums under here a change to shine, as they ALL deserve it.

Note: Your rep +1 was the 200th one. Hence I just been promoted to three squares ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks for your work and for sharing. I hope you had fun doing this. It is a great thing

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Thanks for your work and for sharing. I hope you had fun doing this. It is a great thing

Nice to see you like it. Biobob had great fun coding the website. Me, I´m happy with the end result. It however took an humongous amount of time to enter all entries, test the code etc. Not that funny at times, but heh ONLY the end result counts ;-) Again if commanders like it AND use it then I´m having fun ;-)

Well hopefully I added a few okay - although I wasnt 100% sure what to put especially those in French, German etc.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Well hopefully I added a few okay - although I wasnt 100% sure what to put especially those in French, German etc.

SUPERB work, really. Very much appreciated. I noticed you added 6 entries in the community section ;-) I will go through them and check them. Also noticed you did go that extra mile by finding out and filling in the authors name + urls. Now they nicely show up in the admin tool as commanders who haven´t received a PM. This allows us to contact them. I will try to make a list of entries which are on the ED fansites pages but not currently in EDCodex - when I´ve time. It looks as if its going to be a small list ;-) THIS is what biobob and myself were hoping for, the community helping the community by making the EDCodex more and more complete. EXCELLENT.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Yesterday I did sent a PM to three "Community managers" I know of to inform them that EDCodex has been released - with an explanation what EDCodex is. I also did sent an email to community@frontier.co.uk. In a newsletter I believe found this: "Send your ideas to community@frontier.co.uk. If you feel like your site, livestream or ambassador page is missing from the content that’s already there, then get in touch and we’ll add it to the list"

I asked them (if they deem it useful enough) to add EDCodex to the fansite part of the ED Community website which is currently in beta. Should they like to mention it anywhere else biobob and myself would of course not mind ;-)

I guess they are extremely busy and have a backlog of thing to do. I haven´t received a response back so far. Hopefully in the near future they have time to checkout EDCodex.info and respond.

Hopefully EDCodex.info will be added to the ED Community website. Fingers crossed ;-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom