Release EDCodex. The complete list of third-party tools for Elite Dangerous - Community driven website

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Does any one know the author(s) of these tools, threads (aka entries)

In the admin tool I´ve found a few entries for which the author is not set. Hence I can´t contact them so they can claim their entry - if they deem that useful. For some I have not been able to find them, for others the commander who created the entry has not set it (perhpas (s)he didn´t know it either.

It would be great if the combined powers of the ED community could help biobob and myself to provide us with the authors. Hence if you know the author of the beneath EDCodex entries please let us know ;-). It is preferred to have a FD forum name.

Section and name of the entry.

[Video] Elite: Dangerous. How to
[Tool] Saitek X-55 Bindings Reference Sheet
[Tool] Real star data
[Tool] Galnet news to twitter bot
[Thread] Twitter devposts webpage
[Thread] Infographic about the profits of exploring
[Community] Lave wiki
[Community] Elite Galaxy

Thanks in advance ;-)

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
I hope everyone will enjoy EDCodex
@Darret: about the donation button, I worked on EDCodex because I love ED & coding, we got also a free VPS hosting thanks to Vivio Technologies, now if users will find EDCodex useful and if there enough contributions by the community, I think it will be enough for us :)

It looks as if EDCodex is found useful by commanders!! Since the official release on the 17th in total 19 new entries have been added (We now have 184 entries) by the community and quite a lot updates have been performed. This has been done on the new entries AND older existing entries by their author(s). The EDCodex stats link in the footer showS some nice stats.

Note: Ironically. Atm EDCodex or better said the thread is suffering the same fate as what we wanted to prevent for the tools,threads inside EDCodex: its getting snowed under by forum mechanisms. Next week I've to see if there is a way to prevent that.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
EDCodex on Steam

Biobob has created a post for edcodex on steam. Its is in the guides section for Elite Dangerous. Imho its a wonderful "wall of text" with "Steam guide index" presentation of the tools section of edcodex.

He created a BBcode exporter for this. Its one example of what can be done by everybody with the edcodex API. All information (including history) about ALL entries in edcodex (184 atm) is available in JSON format. It allows website and wiki owners (if they deem that useful) to easily import data from edcodex and display it on their website,wiki. EDCodex is all about sharing data with the community. Its highly encouraged to use the data ;-) Though edcodex is equally usable on pc's, tablets and smartphone its possible a commander doesn't like the presentation. (S)he can create his/her own edcodex app and distribute it. In a PM to the "community team" of FD we have made it clear to FD that they can of course also use the data and API.

If you like edcodex and want to give it a bit more exposure on steam, might I suggest visiting the edcodex guide. Optionally you can vote and/or leave a comment there.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
A commander has posted about EDCodex on the reddit forums. He also created three entries in EDCodex. Very much appreciated btw :) I hope more and more commanders will follow.

Anyway the post in question: EDCodex - Database of Third Party Tools, Sites, and Threads for Elite Dangerous. I like the title he used ;-)
If you deem it useful you can visit his post and show your appreciation for it and/or leave a comment there - commenting will make the post bump. In effect creating a bit exposure for EDCodex on reddit. When he created the post a few days back there was a very nice spike in the number of EDCodex users, page views and session. Perhaps with your help it will happen again ;-)

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
In the admin tool I´ve found a few entries for which the author is not set. Hence I can´t contact them so they can claim their entry - if they deem that useful. For some I have not been able to find them, for others the commander who created the entry has not set it (perhpas (s)he didn´t know it either.

It would be great if the combined powers of the ED community could help biobob and myself to provide us with the authors. Hence if you know the author of the beneath EDCodex entries please let us know ;-). It is preferred to have a FD forum name.

Section and name of the entry.

[Video] Elite: Dangerous. How to
[Tool] Saitek X-55 Bindings Reference Sheet
[Tool] Real star data
[Tool] Galnet news to twitter bot
[Thread] Twitter devposts webpage
[Thread] Infographic about the profits of exploring
[Community] Lave wiki

Thanks in advance ;-)

So far didn't receive information about the missing authors.
Your help is still very much appreciated.

Update:
Found: [Community] Elite Galaxy . Created by Toscaner

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Hint of the day: Using RSS feeds to keep up to date with newly added and updated entries.

There are 18 RSS feeds by default which you can add to your favorite RSS reader. For each section: "Ännouncements", "Tools", "Threads", "Community" and "Video" there are three RSS feeds: "Submissions only" (added entries), "Updates only" and "Global". The last one is a merge of both "Submissions only" and "Updates only". If you want to follow all entries at once you can use "Full EDCodex feed", which also has three options.

If you have registered you have an extra option here: "RSS for my favorites". Its a personalized RSS feed for your favorites. When you are registered and have logged in you can mark entries as favorite - and ofc remove that status. You also have this option in your "Personal Space", tab Favorites. Here you find an overview of all the entries you have in your favorite list and you can create a personalized RSS feed with "RSS for my favorites"

If you think something is missing wrt EDCodex functionality feel free to make a feature request with our Q&A tool. Its the "Ask a Question" link in the top right corner.Here is also the FAQ section of EDCodex located.This section will be fleshed out more in the future - with for example this RSS feed information.

Question:
Curious if commanders are using the RSS feeds and think whether or not it adds something to EDCodex. Should you use RSS feeds perhaps you can report it here.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
great work and a big thank you chaps. bookmarked and rep to you both

Thanks for your kind words and I can't deny it also the rep for biobob and myself.

Its nice to hear some feedback. And the fact your post bumped this thread. Ironically EDCodex here on the FD forums is suffering the same fate which we hoped to prevent for all those excellent tools, thread in EDCodex. Its getting massively snowed under by the forum mechanism. We have quite a nice number of EDCodex pageviews though.

By looking at the stats (Referral Traffic) by far the most commanders have found us by the announcement on the Cmdr Thrudd trading tool website: elitetradingtool.co.uk. Thanks for that. Right after that the reddit announcement by a commander. Also the EDCodex article in the steam Guides action got commanders attention. I can't even find the eliteforum website in the stats top10. Exactly a week ago I asked FD if they could include EDCodex in the fansite section of the ED Community website which is currently in Beta. Later I asked if the thread could be made temporarily a STICKY. I guess they are all extremely busy as I haven't heart a positive or negative answer. Finger crossed.

Thanks for your kind words and I can't deny it also the rep for biobob and myself.

Its nice to hear some feedback. And the fact your post bumped this thread. Ironically EDCodex here on the FD forums is suffering the same fate which we hoped to prevent for all those excellent tools, thread in EDCodex. Its getting massively snowed under by the forum mechanism. We have quite a nice number of EDCodex pageviews though.

By looking at the stats (Referral Traffic) by far the most commanders have found us by the announcement on the Cmdr Thrudd trading tool website: elitetradingtool.co.uk. Thanks for that. Right after that the reddit announcement by a commander. Also the EDCodex article in the steam Guides action got commanders attention. I can't even find the eliteforum website in the stats top10. Exactly a week ago I asked FD if they could include EDCodex in the fansite section of the ED Community website which is currently in Beta. Later I asked if the thread could be made temporarily a STICKY. I guess they are all extremely busy as I haven't heart a positive or negative answer. Finger crossed.

I support this thread as a sticky...

We are supposed to have community managers but to be honest I don't think I've seen any trace of him since he introduced himself a while back.

It's poor support to see such great hard work by members of the community going to waste like this all because the community manager is to busy... Doing what I have no idea but maybe someone at FD needs to remind him of his duties to the community...

Maybe who ever moderates this post will realise that I am RANTING about the COMMUNITY MANAGER not MANAGING his COMMUNITY!!!.1

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Although I can understand your emotions (believe me) I would have worded it rather differently. Something like the tone makes the music.

I've to admit I'm indeed a bit surprised that now after a week and one day I haven't had a response about EDCodex either accepted or rejected for the ED Community website. The same goes for the temp. STICKY status I politely requested for on Monday. I however stay positive, hoping for the best and hope to hear from FD soon.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Took a stroll down memory lane yesterday. Looked up a few nice videos and added them to EDCodex. I know there several more of this kind but haven't searched for them. Feel free to add them to EDCodex.

They all are equally entertaining. Micro Men is a mainstream tv production with Martin Freeman (Sherlock, the Hobbit).

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Help needed - screenshots of tools

One of the last features added before the official release of EDCodex was screenshots. It was on our road map for after the public release but was ofc unknown to the outside. In the pre-release phase when authors of entries where invited to claim their entries and edit, enhance them before the official release Cmdr seeebek of EliteOCR made a feature request in our brand new Q&A tool. It was actually the first question ever. Btw the Q&A tool is accessible by the top right "Ask A Question" link.

Biobob created a simplified version of screenshots. An author of an entry can add screenshots by providing an url and an optional caption text when editing their entries. The url can be for example a picture posted on sites like i.imgur.com. In the full blown version of screenshots most likely there will be a section for "author" screenshots and "user" (provided) screenshots. Also pictures most likely can be uploaded also. That last one opens a can of worms, like security, storage, bandwidth and abuse issues. Hence we want to do it right.

Pictures actually make the entries much more powerful and useful - a picture is worth a thousand words. A picture makes it far more easy to understand what a tool actually does. Unfortunately as it was introduced lately not many entries have screenshots. This is were you (the community) comes in.

Higly preferred format - as it allows biobob to create an automated screenshot importer for it is:

Tool:<title>
EDCodex Entry: <url>
screenshot: <url>
Caption text: <text>
Uploader name: text

Example:

Tool: EliteOCR
EDCodex Entry: http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=23
screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/09VHysN.png
Caption text: EOCR Main screen
Uploader name: Seeebek

If you want to add multiple screenshots please a this template for each and every screenshot file.

You will ofc be credited for your work. Probably by a prefix in the "Caption text". In the example above the shown caption text would be: Uploaded by Seeebek: EOCR Main screen" or "Uploaded by Seeebek: EOCR Main screen". For the uploader name, its preferred to use your EDCodex name, FD forum or in game (cmdr) name but that is up to you.

As of early next week we will create a special email address account where image info using the above template can be send.

But if you want (and we hope you do) you can start right now by creating screenshots for your favorite tools, websites and posting it here. Please use the template mentioned. Received screenshots can and will then be added to entries asap. First manually and when when biobob is back probably using an importer program.

I've said it before. EDCodex aims to be a community driven website. Its utterly impossible for biobob and myself to keep everything up to date and to create screenshots for tools etc. We hope you take the time to add entries and in this case provide us with screenshots. Only together we can make EDCodex what we hope it will be: The complete list of third-party tools for Elite Dangerous.

Last edited:
Biobob created a simplified version of screenshots. An author of an entry can add screenshots by providing an url and an optional caption text when editing their entries.
Thanks for doing this - sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

And of course a feature request - it would be nice if "owners" were able to insert the pictures into the main body text.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Thanks for doing this - sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

And of course a feature request - it would be nice if "owners" were able to insert the pictures into the main body text.

Noticed you have added screenshots to your entry, perfect. Also like the fact your links to other tools are edcodex links ;-)

Wrt you request. In the "Adding images?" feature request by Seebek, biobob wrote the following:
On my side I prefer not allowing images inside description text but in a specific field like the field links for thread / sources / ... (be better to have a similar structure for every tool). I'm open to debate about that solution if you have an other idea :)

I'm with biobob on this one. I think its important to have an uniform format for all entries to keep the look&feel of EDCodex consistent. That is also the reason that the WYIWYG editor used is tweaked, for example no colors or tables. BUT as biobob said, its open to debate!!

May I ask why you think that "pictures into the main body text" makes your or anyone else entries look better? Perhaps biobob and myself are missing something? Preferred way to discuss this is the Q&A tool (this feature request) but if you think its better discussed here (bigger audience, more input, more replies) I'm OK with that in this case.

Note: Wrt the current Javascript lightbox implementation which shows the pictures. Is there perhaps something missing which if implemented would remove or reduce your need to show pictures in the main text?

@Everybody. Feel free to voice your opinion about this matter.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Ah, OK. I hadn't realized that this was a conscious design choice.

It is ;-)

If you have a suggestion to improve things we are happy to hear from you - and everyone else.
Suppose your are missing fields in the edit page for example please do report them. Likely candidates which are easily added.

Note to self: Seems like a good candidate for the FAQ section.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
EDCodex was publicly released on the 17th of August. Now 13 days later quite a few commanders have added entries. Hence what we hoped for (community updating the site) is starting to happen.

Beneath is an overview of entries which were added to the Tools section in the time period: 17th - 30th of August.

1. Uncle Jack's Guide to Crime & Punishment
  2. Ed-Map.eu - Galaxy's Systems & Power Play
  3. Elite Information System (EIS)
  4. Elite Devs Forums Tracker
  5. Screen Shot Changer
  6. Saitek X-55 Bindings Reference Sheet
  7. Elite Companion App for Logitech G19s keyboards
  8. Elite: Dangerous ship comparison tool
  9. Ripley Galactiv K.I.C.S. Voice Attack Profile
  10. Voice Attack Dictation Mode Addon
If you would have subscribed to one of 6 "new submission" RSS feeds (18 total and one extra for registered users - favorites) you would have received this information automatically ;-) There are 5 feeds for each section (announcement,tools,threads,community,video) and a global one which is a merge of the mentioned 5.
In the mentioned time period also quite a lot of commanders have updated their entry. Those changes can be easily followed by using one of the 6 "updates only" RSS feeds.

Note: The EDCodex stats page shows some nice statistics.

Good work commanders for all the new entries. Without you there isn't a "community driven" EDCodex.
Keep 'm coming ;-)

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
EDCodex was publicly released on the 17th of August. Now 13 days later quite a few commanders have added entries. Hence what we hoped for (community updating the site) is starting to happen.

Beneath is an overview of entries which were added to the Threads section in the time period: 17th - 30th of August.

1. Galnet News - Official GN tracker by Frontier Developments
  2. Twitter @Galnet_france
If you would have subscribed to one of 6 "new submission" RSS feeds (18 total and one extra for registered users - favorites) you would have received this information automatically ;-) There are 5 feeds for each section (announcement,tools,threads,community,video) and a global one which is a merge of the mentioned 5.
In the mentioned time period also quite a lot of commanders have updated their entry. Those changes can be easily followed by using one of the 6 "updates only" RSS feeds.

Good work commanders for all the new entries. Without you there isn't a "community driven" EDCodex.
Keep 'm coming ;-)

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer

Beneath is an overview of entries which were added to the Community section in the time period: 17th - 30th of August.

I especially want to thank Rogue who volunteered to add entries from the Fansite section of the ED Community website (Beta).
He added no less then seven entries!! If you would like to contribute feel free to do so ;-)

1. Elite: Dangerous subreddit
  2. Elite-Dangerous.fr
  3. Cmdr. Loriaths' Logs
  4. French community - EliteDangerous-Station.fr
  5. French Wiki - EliteDangerous-Station.fr
  6. Fangs
  7. Elite: Dangerous PVE (Mobius)
  8. EDC Official
  9. PvP group : Black Birds Squadron

Keep 'm coming ;-)

Note to self: Check the community website, fansite section and check if there are perhaps more entries which are not in EDCodex atm.

Last edited:
Top Bottom