Release EDCodex. The complete list of third-party tools for Elite Dangerous - Community driven website

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
EDCodex was publicly released on the 17th of August. Now 13 days later quite a few commanders have added entries. Hence what we hoped for (community updating the site) is starting to happen.

Beneath is an overview of entries which were added to the Video section in the time period: 17th - 30th of August.

1. David Braben and the Raspberry Pi
  2. Micro Men - the rivalry between Clive Sinclair (ZX Spectrum) and Chris Curry of Acorn Computers, (BBC Micro)
  3. Postmortem of the original Elite by David Braben
  4. The Making of Elite - TV documentary featuring David Braben and Ian Bell
  5. Live Channel CMDR Aymerix (French)
  6. Exploration in vidéo
  7. 5 minutes to understand (FRENCH)
  8. Starting of elite dangerous (FRENCH)
  9. Elite: Dangerous Early Development Videos

If you would have subscribed to one of 6 "new submission" RSS feeds (18 total and one extra for registered users - favorites) you would have received this information automatically ;-) There are 5 feeds for each section (announcement,tools,threads,community,video) and a global one which is a merge of the mentioned 5.
In the mentioned time period also quite a lot of commanders have updated their entry. Those changes can be easily followed by using one of the 6 "updates only" RSS feeds.

Note: The EDCodex stats page shows some nice statistics.

Two special recommendations:

• Micro men. A mainstream tv production with Martin Freeman (Sherlock, the hobbit). Nice british humor, great music by Jean Michel Jarre and Kraftwerk.
  • Postmortem of the original Elite by David Braben. From 2011. Gives a great insight in how Elite was created and especially all the wizardry, voodoo needed to cram elite in 22K of memory. Like how to save 2 bytes!!
Good work commanders for all the new entries. Without you there isn't a "community driven" EDCodex.
Keep 'm coming ;-)

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
After creating the above 4 posts about what was added I'm totally amazed by the work done by the community.

• Thirty (30) entries were entered AFTER the public release on the 17th of August.
  • At release we had approx 163 entries
  • Now we have 193 entries.
  • After the release approx 18% percent of NEW content was added to EDCodex. The fast majority by the community.
Good work commanders for all the new entries. Without you there isn't a "community driven" EDCodex.

That said, there are still quite a LOT of tools,thread,guides etc which are not in EDCodex. Hoping that the community can help us further.
In particular there is the ED Guides section on Steam. There are 45 guides there, some are real Gems.
It would be highly appreciated is someone could add (some of) those to EDCodex. I simply don't have the time for it.

Update: Created the following entry in EDCodex - worth checking out!!

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Volunteers needed for adding "Steam Guides" to EDCodex

Recently I visited the ED Guides section on Steam. There are some very good guides out there. Atm I'm counting 125+. This is helped by the format of the steam Guides where you can have an Guide index. They look excellent.

The aim of EDCodex is to have as much information in one place. Ideally ALL information about ED in one place so it live up to the title of this thread: "EDCodex. The complete list of third-party tools for Elite Dangerous - Community driven website". Its completely impossible for biobob and myself to achieve that goals. I've this feeling we already have put a few hundred hours each into EDCodex. Hence we badly need the help of the community.

It would be highly appreciated if the community could help the community further. Might I suggest looking at the guides, selecting one or more and adding them to EDCodex. If you are not totally sure about how to that you could have a look at existing entries. We will also be monitoring new entries, helping out where needed.

Note: Biobobs Guide for EDCodex is also on Steam. Its basically a wall of text version of the Tools section. It shows the power of what can be done with the EDCodex API. Every website or programmable wiki can use the API to have a list of tools,threads on their website. EDCodex is ALL about collecting entries AND more importantly SHARING them with the community. Perhaps the OP of that guide could be made more clear because atm we have zero stars ;-( Not enough commanders have voted atm. If you deem EDCodex useful enough You can ofc help us to rectify that!!!

I hope this call for help is not getting snowed under by the FD forum AND commanders are going to add even more entries. 30+ so far since the public release. Hence almost 20% of the NEW entries is done by the community at this point. Excellent work commanders!!!

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
The EDCodex Steam Guide is now starred & in the most popular list ;) thx for all
I hope the EDCodex website will continue growing and help Cmdr to find their most suitable tools for E:D
will be the best reward for us!

I certainly would like appreciate that kind of reward ;-)

As said before EDCodex will ONLY be feasible to maintain, keep up to date IF the community keeps it up to date.
Biobob has created the website and we both filled it with initial data BUT your help is really needed and appreciated.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
In the past week(s) I've contacted the community managers with the request if EDCodex could be added to the fansites section of the official ED Community website which is currently in Beta. I also asked if this thread could become temporarily a STICKY thread.

Got a PM back from one the community managers. Because of GamesCom and PAX not all community managers were in the office the last week(s) and it took a bit longer to respond. Next week they will together have a look at the website and evaluate it. Being added the Community website depends on whether or not they find the whole contents suitable. EDCodex has a fundamental design principle which is VERY precious,holy to us: FREEDOM. Any one can add anything as long as its related to ED/Elite. Its entirely possible that a few entries in EDCodex might cause that it can't being added to the Community website. Fingers crossed.

STICKY status. Currently they are cleaning up the number of STICKY threads to make the forums clearer. As a consequence the EDCodex thread can not be made a sticky at this point in time. This might change. Again fingers crossed.

Do you think EDCodex should be added to the fansites section?
Do you think this thread should become temporarily a sticky?

Please let us know what you think about. It potentially might perhaps even have a small influence on the decision FD is going to make.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Was checking out some entries entered by commanders (thanks for that btw). Checking them out I visited the following forum:
Elite: Dangerous PvE.
Mobius, the dedicated Player vs Environment group in Elite: Dangerous

They also have "tools and helpers" sub forum. In it I found a few tools I never heart about before and they are lovely. I've not had a change to add them to EDCodex - any volunteers?

New to me are:

Its becoming clearer and clearer that without help from the community it will be near impossible to achieve our goal: "complete list of tools". If you know of tools, threads which are not in EDCodex but you don't have time to create an entry for it. Please be so kind to mention it here ;-)

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Thank you for making Tools available in this tread - great to have just one Place to check.

+ 1
Cheers
DZ

I know that I speak for biobob as well when I say: Your very welcome ;-)

I hope you haven't misinterpreted the OP, or I've misinterpreted you ;-)
All approx 200 entries are in edcodex.info. Every now and then I put an overview of newly added tools,threads,websites,videos here.
I think its kind of handy.

Update: If you use the RSS feeds you don't even have to visit the website on a regular base. Your favorite RSS reader will inform you about newly added entries and/or updates ones. There are 18 feeds (3 for each section and one for ALL sections). If you have registered you can also have an RSS feed for the ones you have selected as 'favorites'

Last edited:
This is great! Thank you all for creating this.

If only ED would be a little more fleshed out, then a lot of this wouldn't be necessary.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
This is great! Thank you all for creating this.

If only ED would be a little more fleshed out, then a lot of this wouldn't be necessary.

I do agree to some extend but I think there always will be a need for third party tools. Its good to have alternatives for ingame tools.

Currently the tools concentrate around a few categories: trading, logbook, ship yard. This is out necessity because there is very limited data to work with. The debug flag (when set) in AppConfig.xml gives some info as does OCR-ing and the so called OCR Error Free (OEF) tools which use the iPhone API. If only the official ED-API would be there then I'm sure the tools market would EXPLODE with lots of new tools which concentrate on other categories. An alternative for the web-api would be and very easy to implement: just dump data in JSON/XML files. Stuff like coordinates of current system, market data, docking status, stats. If FD would just dump the info what can be seen on the screens that would be amazing. The data is already IN the game, otherwise it couldn't be displayed. Also HACKS have shown that that data is easily accessible. Third party tools could pick up the info data by ED (by FD) and do MARVELOUS things with them. But when you look at the thread "Any news on the official ED API ?" its becoming clear that the web-api is still along way off, Last thing Michael Brookes said on the 22th of May 2015 about the API was: "It's still on our radar, but it is low on the current priority list. If anything changes we'll let you know. Michael". source.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Was checking out some entries entered by commanders (thanks for that btw). Checking them out I visited the following forum:
Elite: Dangerous PvE.
Mobius, the dedicated Player vs Environment group in Elite: Dangerous

They also have "tools and helpers" sub forum. In it I found a few tools I never heart about before and they are lovely. I've not had a change to add them to EDCodex - any volunteers?

New to me are:

Its becoming clearer and clearer that without help from the community it will be near impossible to achieve our goal: "complete list of tools". If you know of tools, threads which are not in EDCodex but you don't have time to create an entry for it. Please be so kind to mention it here ;-)

The above tools,threads have been added to EDCodex. It turned out that Screen Shot Changer was already in EDCodex.

GlovePIE - Free voiceattack alternative
EDConfig - Verbose Logging Enabler and graphics configurator

Having fun checking out the new entries in EDCodex.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great post I will have a deeper look on your website :)

Due to the way the FD forum works a lot of good entries get snowed under very fast and the authors do NOT get the exposure they clearly deserve
Completely agreed, I am not much of a writer myself but I took the time to post a complete step by step guide on how to reach rank 4 in Power Play in a fun and quick way and got 1 reply and 0 rep (of course I did that for assisting other Commanders and not for the rep but it was definitely a waste of my time).

So after my failure as a novice tutorial writer I completely appreciate the effort you have made with this post and your website !

Thanks, bookmarked and rep given !

How many users does your community count ?

Last edited:
Just wanted to correct that my post was about reaching rank 3 (not 4 as I mentioned).

Funny thing is that I got a 2nd rep while writing this comment ... strange coincidence ...

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Thanks for the great post I will have a deeper look on your website :)

Completely agreed, I am not much of a writer myself but I took the time to post a complete step by step guide on how to reach rank 4 in Power Play in a fun and quick way and got 1 reply and 0 rep (of course I did that for assisting other Commanders and not for the rep but it was definitely a waste of my time).

So after my failure as a novice tutorial writer I completely appreciate the effort you have made with this post and your website !

Thanks, bookmarked and rep given !

How many users does your community count ?

For starters, commanders seems to think I've created the website. NOT SO. That magic was performed by biobob. I merely started with my third party tools thread, hit technical limits, thread became NOT maintainable, asked for help AND biobob kindly offered assistance. Together we brainstormed and the result is EDCodex.

Thanks for your kind words. Appreciated by biobob and myself.

You forgot to mention your thread: How to reach Rank 3 in PP quickly and in a fun way by undermining for Arissa Lavigny-Duva. I like the info and the effort you put into this. Rep+1. Please be so kind to add the thread to EDCodex yourself. I'm not able to do it all by myself ;-( Would be appreciated and I think your thread truly deserves it. Note: please add the word Power Play somewhere in the title of the entry. I still have a backlog of 10+ entries but every time I try to get rid of it I see a new interesting tool,thread or a bumped one which I have missed ;-(

So far 145 commanders have registered. After doing that and logging in one has a few perks: Adding entries, claiming ownership of existing entries (if you are the author), personalized RSS feeds and favorites. More in the future. Also the picture at the top of the homepage gets reduced ;-) We have between 250-350 users a day (more sessions). Page views is between 1500 and 2000. That is aside from a peak on the 18th (official release was the 17th). Usage is modest BUT quite stable, so it looks as if commanders find it useful. Perhaps when its mentioned on the ED community website, fan sites section, we get more exposure and more users. The community managers are currently looking into EDCodex to evaluate if the complete contents is suitable and if EDCodex can be added to the community website. A sticky status unlikely atm because they are currently cleaning up the sticky threads - to keep the forums clean, lean and mean ;-)

Last edited:
Posting this here, as you are collecting everything you can about Elite Dangerous.

I am wanting to find a program or site I used to generate a circular rares trade route, that once I put a few variables in, such as how far from the star I want as a maximum distance, what size ship I am flying (small medium or large) etc ... and it then generated a .txt file that listed the stations in the order to fly to them, what to buy at each station and what to sell and what the max allowance of that station's rare goods was.

I have looked on the ED Codex site and the EDDB and this forum, and I cannot find this site / program again. I know I used it as I have the list printed in a folder.

Does anyone know what it was I used?

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Posting this here, as you are collecting everything you can about Elite Dangerous.

I am wanting to find a program or site I used to generate a circular rares trade route, that once I put a few variables in, such as how far from the star I want as a maximum distance, what size ship I am flying (small medium or large) etc ... and it then generated a .txt file that listed the stations in the order to fly to them, what to buy at each station and what to sell and what the max allowance of that station's rare goods was.

I have looked on the ED Codex site and the EDDB and this forum, and I cannot find this site / program again. I know I used it as I have the list printed in a folder.

Does anyone know what it was I used?

For starters. This kind of questions very much DO belong in this thread.
To anyone: please DO post them here. Perhaps the community can help you further.

Could you please put the "list printed" in a spoiler tag here?
I have an idea but would like to check this with your "list printed" before posting.

Last edited:
For starters. This kind of questions very much DO belong in this thread.
To anyone: please DO post them here. Perhaps the community can help you further.

Could you please put the "list printed" in a spoiler tag here?
I have an idea but would like to check this with your "list printed" before posting.
You want me to type out the whole list of stations and put that in spoiler tags? It's a lot of stations!

EDIT: I don't have the txt file as I lost everything when my PC died ... I did make a printed copy though, which is all I have left ... but it was my first attempt at making the list and I did it wrong. I had the correct list (my 2nd attempt) but can't find it now, hence why I'd love to find the site / program again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom