Release EDCodex. The complete list of third-party tools for Elite Dangerous - Community driven website

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Registered and guide added.

Do you have a private group for the registered users ?

Already saw it in the admin tool(s) aka Big Brother is watching you....
Looks nice. I'm the progress of sending you a PM with a few suggestions.

We don't have a private group for registered users. Might I ask why you are looking for that? What would it add? Just curious ;-)

Edit: Check out the RSS feeds. It allows you to keep up to date without having to check EDCodex all the time.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
You want me to type out the whole list of stations and put that in spoiler tags? It's a lot of stations!

EDIT: I don't have the txt file as I lost everything when my PC died ... I did make a printed copy though, which is all I have left ... but it was my first attempt at making the list and I did it wrong. I had the correct list (my 2nd attempt) but can't find it now, hence why I'd love to find the site / program again.

In case of a .txt file you could copy/paste it in a Spoiler tag ;-)

I've manually quite a lot of entries and checked most of them. NOT all. And unfortunately I don't have a perfect memory. I don't think the following is what you had but I think it can be used for it - not sure 100%. Its Trade Dangerous by kfsone. Also a GUI exists for it. Checked EDCodex myself and searched for the word rares. This tool produces a list of routes - but no output to .txt.

You could check the tools in the trading category, hopefully your tool is in EDCodex. Should you find it, please report it here.

Anyway I hope the community (readers of this thread) can help you further. It sound like a very nice tool. In the threads section there are a few entries which show good rare routes - some are pretty long.

Update: correct url for entry: Elite: Dangerous Rare Good Route.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
EDCodex is not on the community website (yet) and the thread is not a sticky. Hence its getting snowed under the whole time. I thought a bit of promoting EDCodex could not heart. Ive created a thread for it in the Steam ED discussions forum. The thread is called: [Released] EDCodex. Website, database: The complete list of third-party tools for Elite Dangerous - Community driven website. Atm its snowed under there also ;-( Should you feel the need to remedy that, feel free to visit thet thread and....

We don't have a private group for registered users. Might I ask why you are looking for that? What would it add? Just curious ;-)

Although I am a PVE player and don't chat much I play in Open mode but would prefer a private group (currently checking Mobius group) where we can interact with the same players and maybe make new like-minded friends.
As we posted in the same thread "How Old Are Us Players?" https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3245&p=2806491#post2806491 you know we are a grown up community and it is important to evolve in a respectful group.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Although I am a PVE player and don't chat much I play in Open mode but would prefer a private group (currently checking Mobius group) where we can interact with the same players and maybe make new like-minded friends.
As we posted in the same thread "How Old Are Us Players?" https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3245&p=2806491#post2806491 you know we are a grown up community and it is important to evolve in a respectful group.

I have to say I like the idea of an EDCodex group. That said I see a few hurdles. Private groups afaik are limited to a certain playstyle like PvE, Exploration, PvP. An EDCodex group (consisting of registered users) would be a mix of every play style. So not sure if that would catch on. What are you thought about that aspect?
Note: anyone can have a say here ;-)

PS. Yes we are grown ups but by looking at some threads,posts not everybody is acting that way ;-(

An EDCodex group (consisting of registered users) would be a mix of every play style. So not sure if that would catch on. What are you thought about that aspect?

I only played in either Open or Solo mode so I am new with the concept of groups. Still I don't understand why a group should not include all aspects of the game (Combat/Trading/Exploration) and with PVP and/or PVE players ?

My idea of a group is to play with always the same people for a more enjoyable experience by getting to know them and why not becoming friend. In open mode you always meet new people, true, but do you always make contact with them ? On the other hand what will do you when you see the same Commander over and over again ? Ultimately you will try to contact him/her and start chatting ... that little spark which could create something bigger (a wingmate, a Real Life friend ?).

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
I only played in either Open or Solo mode so I am new with the concept of groups. Still I don't understand why a group should not include all aspects of the game (Combat/Trading/Exploration) and with PVP and/or PVE players ?

My idea of a group is to play with always the same people for a more enjoyable experience by getting to know them and why not becoming friend. In open mode you always meet new people, true, but do you always make contact with them ? On the other hand what will do you when you see the same Commander over and over again ? Ultimately you will try to contact him/her and start chatting ... that little spark which could create something bigger (a wingmate, a Real Life friend ?).

RL and EDCodex prevented an earlier response, I apologize for that. A group is ofc not limited to a certain play style but most groups seems to be. Any one can try to form a group and have commanders join them. I believe this is done in the subforum "Dangerous Groups". If you would like to see an EDCodex group (which I for sure would join) please go to the mentioned group and to use the words of Jean Luc Piccard: Make it so. I hope to see an EDCodex group out there ;-)

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Tools for OCR-ing the sytems view

Brilliant news to report. Two commanders have taken OCR-ing one step further. Its now possible to OCR the ED system view. They both emerged around the same time as well. OCR-ing is not dead (limited to market data) but alive and kicking it seems.

They also either updated an existing entry or created a new one for their own tool. Right on commander(s). As said before EDCodex is and should be a community driven effort. Its impossible for biobob and myself to do it alone, trust us!!

ExplOCR has an OCR library which can be use by others. I'm sure that other tool authors will use that for other tools as well.

Might I suggest visiting the OP's of the authors thread and giving them both a rep +1. They truly deserve this!!

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Celebration time - EDCodex has been out for 1 month.

Exactly one month ago EDCodex has been publicly released. We started with approx 162 entries, NOW we have exactly 215 entries. 53 NEW entries in one month, brilliant. I want to thank each and every commander who has taken the time to either create a new entry or who have claimed their entry and edited/updated it. There is still a LOT of new functionality to come.

Since release some new functionality was introduced. We have also introduced two new categories: audio and live-streaming. The entries have NOT been updated yet. Yesterday the stats page has been enhanced by biobob with "Daily Registrations". We had approx 15 registered when we released EDCodex. Now we have 165. The number of users visiting EDCodex is more or less constant. Approx 300 users a day and approx 1800-2400 page views. The website has been stable as a rock. Not a single issue reported.

One last comment. Commanders do visit EDCodex on a regular base (lots of a new users as well) BUT they only in rare cases post here with feedback. As its not a sticky it tends to get snowed under by the forums - something we were hoping to prevent for the entries inside EDCodex. Hence not that much commanders are seeing this thread and discover EDCodex. Only way to remedy that is commanders post more here. Just my 2 euro cent.

Note: I still have a backlog of more then 15+ entries for EDCodex.

Biobob
Wolverine2710

Last edited:
One last comment. Commanders do visit EDCodex on a regular base (lots of a new users as well) BUT they only in rare cases post here with feedback. As its not a sticky it tends to get snowed under by the forums - something we were hoping to prevent for the entries inside EDCodex. Hence not that much commanders are seeing this thread and discover EDCodex. Only way to remedy that is commanders post more here. Just my 2 euro cent.

Good Work ! With regards to the above, why not adding your ED Codex link to some Commanders' signature ? I wouldn't mind having a nice signature which could promote EDCodex ...

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Good Work ! With regards to the above, why not adding your ED Codex link to some Commanders' signature ? I wouldn't mind having a nice signature which could promote EDCodex ...

GOOD thinking ;-)

I did play with that thought but wasn´t sure if anyone would be interested. I will talk to biobob if we can make our 2 banners available as an url for commanders - perhas even create a few fresh ones. They are on EDCodex in a hiddenb place but those can change so perhaps better to have official url for banners which won´t change. In the mean time you just can just use my signature banner (copy image in browser, paste in favoriet and viewer, save and put it on your own system and then use it in the signature). You can do the same for biobob. In his profile its also shown.

Again: GOOD IDEA-

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Brilliant news to report. Two commanders have taken OCR-ing one step further. Its now possible to OCR the ED system view. They both emerged around the same time as well. OCR-ing is not dead (limited to market data) but alive and kicking it seems.

They also either updated an existing entry or created a new one for their own tool. Right on commander(s). As said before EDCodex is and should be a community driven effort. Its impossible for biobob and myself to do it alone, trust us!!

ExplOCR has an OCR library which can be use by others. I'm sure that other tool authors will use that for other tools as well.

Might I suggest visiting the OP's of the authors thread and giving them both a rep +1. They truly deserve this!!

Sometimes development of certain tools stagnates and then all of the sudden there is a healty ecosystem for it. Around the same that the above tools appeared another one appeared. Its EDABC - Astronomical Body Counter

which basically does something similar. Its like trading tools, they help you with trading but they all have a different angle. That is good because imho there is no size fits all for tools. Hence I welcome this new tool. Check it out commanders.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
The mother of all EXPLORATION related thread

There is a BRILLIANT thread out there which will be DREAM for explorers. I did notice it in the past, somehow I forgo to add it to my TODO list, but luckily enough biobob mentioned it to me in an email.

Exploration Guides/Lists/Tools/Diaries by dognosh. Its a VERY extensive list of everything related toexploration and more. As its a long list and would take quit a bit of time to convert to EDCodex I contacted dognosh if he would be interested in addingit to EDCodex and maintaining it. I had contact with him before the public release of EDCodex.´m allowed to add it but he doesn´t want to add and edit it himself.

A LOT of his threads,tools are not in EDCodex atm. Biobob and myself simply don´t have the time to add all those GEMS of threads,tools. We are hoping that volunteers will add either the thread itself to EDCodex or even better that volunteers will add the individual tools,threads to EDCodex. As we said before EDCodex is and should be a community driven effort. Its our hope volunteers will help us out!!!

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Site update -- "Most popular favorite" feature

Biobob the creator of EDCodex has added a new feature to EDCodex. He announced it in the news section of EDCodex. A copy/paste of it.

Now it's possible to sort entries by favorites popularity. Explanation: It was already possible, for registered users, to add entries as favorite to their favorites list in their personal space - one of the perks of having registered and being logged in. Now for each entry we can see how many people have added that entry as favorite. In addition on each entries list (ie all, trading, logbook) its now possible to sort entries by popularity. In a way its an indicator of how popular an entry is.

Examples:

If you have registered and logged in the favorite feature might be of interest to you. It would also show others what tools are ´favorite´

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
An entry for EDCodex has been added to EDCodex ;-)

Contains overview of all EDCodex related threads and information. I hope you find it useful as well.
Update: Atm the entry contains 13 links.

Last edited:
Posting this here, as you are collecting everything you can about Elite Dangerous.

I am wanting to find a program or site I used to generate a circular rares trade route, that once I put a few variables in, such as how far from the star I want as a maximum distance, what size ship I am flying (small medium or large) etc ... and it then generated a .txt file that listed the stations in the order to fly to them, what to buy at each station and what to sell and what the max allowance of that station's rare goods was.

I have looked on the ED Codex site and the EDDB and this forum, and I cannot find this site / program again. I know I used it as I have the list printed in a folder.

Does anyone know what it was I used?
I think I found it ... but if someone can help me to get it to work, I would appreciate it, and you'd be helping the community as well. If you look at the sample results in the github link, that is what I was using and want to use again.

So ... I got it from this Reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2rigt2/ed_rare_trade_route_generator_ruby_script/

Which leads to this github https://github.com/cowboy/ed-rare-trade-route-generator
You need to copy & paste the script to a text file and save it as a .rb extension

To use it, you need to download Ruby http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/ to run the script in a command prompt window (just go the start menu, in the search box type cmd and press enter)

You can open the generated routes script in notepad and change the parameters for the generated route.
When I tried to run it, I got errors, and that's way above my level of programming knowledge.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
I think I found it ... but if someone can help me to get it to work, I would appreciate it, and you'd be helping the community as well. If you look at the sample results in the github link, that is what I was using and want to use again.

So ... I got it from this Reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2rigt2/ed_rare_trade_route_generator_ruby_script/

Which leads to this github https://github.com/cowboy/ed-rare-trade-route-generator
You need to copy & paste the script to a text file and save it as a .rb extension

To use it, you need to download Ruby http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/ to run the script in a command prompt window (just go the start menu, in the search box type cmd and press enter)

You can open the generated routes script in notepad and change the parameters for the generated route.
When I tried to run it, I got errors, and that's way above my level of programming knowledge.

Nice to see you found it back. Its a new one for me and haven't seen it before.
I'm not a ruby programmer but gave it a try anyway. I'm not getting it to work either.

In the end I end up with the following errors:
C:\Users\wolverine>ruby "C:\Data\Games\Elite Dangerous\ed-rare-trade-route-generator\generate-routes.rb"
Parsing CSV data...C:/Data/Games/Elite Dangerous/ed-rare-trade-route-generator/generate-routes.rb:125:in `block in <main>': undefined method `zip' for nil:NilClass (NoMethodError)
from C:/Data/Games/Elite Dangerous/ed-rare-trade-route-generator/generate-routes.rb:124:in `each'
from C:/Data/Games/Elite Dangerous/ed-rare-trade-route-generator/generate-routes.rb:124:in `each_with_index'
from C:/Data/Games/Elite Dangerous/ed-rare-trade-route-generator/generate-routes.rb:124:in `<main>'

What I had to do to get this far can be found in the spoiler tag.

Did download 32bits 2.1.7. from here: http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/

As mentioned in the reddit thread some commanders have troubles with downloading the $source_sheet_url file (see script) and had to download it manually. I did also get that error. Looked up the url for $source_sheet_url and found out that it mentioned a new file. Change $source_sheet_url line into: $source_sheet_url = 'https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17Zv55yEjVdHrNzkH7BPnTCtXRs8GDHqchYjo9Svkyh4/pubhtml'. and after that it downloaded.

Before I got this message:
C:\Users\wolverine>ruby "C:\Data\Games\Elite Dangerous\ed-rare-trade-route-generator\generate-routes.rb"
Downloading spreadsheet to "ED_RareGoods_SystemsDistance - CURRENT.csv"...C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby
state=SSLv3 read server certificate B: certificate verify failed (OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError)
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/net/http.rb:923:in `block in connect'
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/timeout.rb:75:in `timeout'
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/net/http.rb:923:in `connect'
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/net/http.rb:863:in `do_start'
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/net/http.rb:852:in `start'
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/open-uri.rb:313:in `open_http'
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/open-uri.rb:724:in `buffer_open'
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/open-uri.rb:210:in `block in open_loop'
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/open-uri.rb:208:in `catch'
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/open-uri.rb:208:in `open_loop'
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/open-uri.rb:149:in `open_uri'
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/open-uri.rb:704:in `open'
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/open-uri.rb:34:in `open'
from C:/Data/Games/Elite Dangerous/ed-rare-trade-route-generator/generate-routes.rb:83:in `block in <main>'
from C:/Data/Games/Elite Dangerous/ed-rare-trade-route-generator/generate-routes.rb:82:in `open'
from C:/Data/Games/Elite Dangerous/ed-rare-trade-route-generator/generate-routes.rb:82:in `<main>'

Noticed that the url for $csv_url also has a message that it has a new file. Used the new url and downloaded manually the data AND save it as ED_RareGoods_SystemsDistance - CURRENT.csv. After that I'm getting the following error:

C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require': cannot load su
from C:/Data/Programming languages/32 bits/Ruby21/lib/ruby/2.1.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:55:in `require'
from C:/Data/Games/Elite Dangerous/ed-rare-trade-route-generator/generate-routes.rb:3:in `<main>'

Perhaps some Ruby wizard can have a look at it and provide us with a new generate-routes.rb file which works straight out of the box.

Note: As this thread is not a sticky it gets snowed under fast. Also quite a lot of commanders are using edcodex.info but this thread is very quite and doesn't get read a lot. You might want to consider creating a new thread especially for this tool.

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
@Alien. You seem to have missed something in the reddit thread. It turned out that commander bilago has made a GUI for it. You don't need to install Ruby for this as it contains everything in one zip file. Download it and got it running without problems. It takes quite a while to calculate everything and haven't waited for it to complete but it seems to work.

ED Trade Route Generator GUI - By Bilago

Please report back if this did work for you and how good the routes are. Would be appreciated.

Thank you for your reply, and your PM to me, I may have missed this post.
I will give it a try and let you know here how I fare with it.

Top Bottom