Release EDDN - Elite Dangerous Data Network. Trading tools sharing info in an unified way.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Sorry, don't understand your answer.

What I say is that as far as EDDN is concerned, we do not block publisher (EDMC in your case) to send informations to subscriber (EDDB in your case).
So we cannot say why your commodities prices were not pushed to EDDB or any other trading site using EDDN to gather informations.

What I say is that as far as EDDN is concerned, we do not block publisher (EDMC in your case) to send informations to subscriber (EDDB in your case).
So we cannot say why your commodities prices were not pushed to EDDB or any other trading site using EDDN to gather informations.

Ah OK, then I think you misunderstood my question. EDMC is getting a message back from FD Companion API that there is no commodity market, but in fact there is. In that case, are there other ways that I can get the data to EDDB (other than OCR)?

Example of outpost that exhibits this behaviour is https://eddb.io/station/10023

Ah OK, then I think you misunderstood my question. EDMC is getting a message back from FD Companion API that there is no commodity market, but in fact there is. In that case, are there other ways that I can get the data to EDDB (other than OCR)?

Manuell input?

eg. Tradedangerous has an manuell input mode where you can edit the market of an station, maybe EDDB does have something like this if you're registered (it's called ROSS).

Last edited:
Manuell input?

eg. Tradedangerous has an manuell input mode where you can edit the market of an station, maybe EDDB does have something like this if you're registered (it's called ROSS).

Yep I'm using the TD feature to update my local copy of TD data, and upload it to maddavo too, but as I understand it maddavvo cannot send the data to EDDB.

The ROSS site says...

• How can I update the market data?
    For this you have to use an application that feeds the EDDN network. That can be an unprecise OCR program like EliteOCR or Regulated Noise, or preferably an API-based tool like Elite: Dangerous Market Connector.

Yep I'm using the TD feature to update my local copy of TD data, and upload it to maddavo too, but as I understand it maddavvo cannot send the data to EDDB.

Maddavo does send market data to EDDN (and EDDB does import from EDDN?), I just don't know which. There is no direct way of sending data to EDDB, afaik. You may talk to maddavo directly via PM.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Usage of the iphone companion app api has been declared LEGAL by FD

GREAT NEWS for the EDDN. On the 5th of January 2016 Zac Antonaci (Head of Community Management) created a post in the in the "Open Letter to Frontier Developments" thread in which he stated that the usage of tools which use the iPhone companion app api is LEGAL. Source. Tools which use the api are EDMC, EDAPI and EDCE, all can be found on EDCodex. To quote ZAc.

Hey guys,

As promised we've discussed the topic for you all, sorry for the delay in replys but today was the first available opportunity to review the thread.

People are free to continue use of the existing companion app API, though please be aware this is something we hope to expand and improve on the future. Since we don’t yet have a date for that, use of the existing one is fine, but we ask that you do so in a careful and considered manner – for example not polling it continuously. We will bring in guidelines and an approval process over time too, but for now please be aware that we will stop apps that are not well behaved.

We are passionate about the development of community created content and very much see the value in the tools that are being created which is why we are happy for this API to be continued. As we have mentioned before, we would like to create a new API which allows tool developers support to create their own tools but this will not be a short term implementation and is instead something we are considering for future development.

Thanks for your patience, we will keep you informed as and when we have more information to share.

I hope this results in MUCH more data being sent to and distributed by the EDDN. Atm EDDN distributes market, shipyard and outfitting data. Usage of EDDN is visualized by the following tools. There could and probably are more similar tools but these came to mind. Feel free to add those I've missed ;-)

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Thanks. I wasn't clear enough with my question. What I meant to say was...

"Are there any tools where you input prices manually, and those prices are then sent to EDDN?"

I haven't been following the trading tools like it did in the past (severe fallout 4 addiction) but afaik of not - NOT a guarantee mind youu. Slopey's BPC where you can enter data manually doesn't have an upload to EDDN - nor does it import from the EDDN. Thruds website where you could/can enter prices manually didn't have a connectiontion to EDDN - Peter said this will change fast. Kfsone's Trade Dangerous is based on manually input. You can with maddavo's plugin upload your manually entered prices to his MMS which can then be used by other FD commanders. I know that Maddavo does upload to EDDN when he plays the game. NOT sure if also the uploaded data is also sent to EDDN. Your best bet is to check the trading section of EDCodex, check the descriptions - I entered most of them.... - and when in doubt send a PM to a tool author. Sorry that I could not help you further. I would be very interested in the outcome ;-)

Might I ask why you are looking for such a tool?

Last edited:
<snip>

Might I ask why you are looking for such a tool?

Thank you for the comprehensive reply.

I have an unusual 'use case'. I'm part of a fan faction that Frontier have created in the game 8th Dragon Squadron. The very first place we expanded, EDMC cannot send the data to EDDN because the API says there is no market, but there is.

EliteOCR does not work anymore, RegulatedNoise crashes every time I try to use it.

So I'm looking for another way to get data for this particular station (and others, there are many) into EDDN.

FYI, I have uploaded the prices to maddavo, it's clear his site has not passed them through to EDDN, as EDDB.IO is not showing the update.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Thank you for the comprehensive reply.

I have an unusual 'use case'. I'm part of a fan faction that Frontier have created in the game 8th Dragon Squadron. The very first place we expanded, EDMC cannot send the data to EDDN because the API says there is no market, but there is.

EliteOCR does not work anymore, RegulatedNoise crashes every time I try to use it.

So I'm looking for another way to get data for this particular station (and others, there are many) into EDDN.

FYI, I have uploaded the prices to maddavo, it's clear his site has not passed them through to EDDN, as EDDB.IO is not showing the update.

Its late when I read this and I've to go to bed and get up early - make a living as a Java software engineer. Will put my think hat on tomorrow. I think I have a few ideas. But for starters, sending data to the EDDN is pretty easy. All it takes is a normal HTTP POST which send a JSON message. EDCE by Andargor started it all, it was created to be used as a base for other programs. EDAPI and EDMC then picked up the gauntlet. Afaik EDCE is pretty small. It can also be used as a library. This might be something to look at for a start. Will give it some more thought tomorrow. Are you a coder or are their coders in your group?

Last edited:
Afaik EDCE is pretty small. It can also be used as a library. This might be something to look at for a start. Will give it some more thought tomorrow. Are you a coder or are their coders in your group?

So I'm capable of writing PHP and could make a version of this link work for me.

My thinking is that I would use the Trade Dangerous editor to manually key the prices if EDMC cannot send them. TradeDangerous produces an updated.prices file. I can write PHP that would parse the .prices file and send to EDDN.

My worry though is whether the EDDN subscribers would accept my 'application' from the EDDN or just chuck it away.

I'd have to learn Python to integrate this into TradeDangerous....

But if there's something out there I can use instead, that would be my preference.

So I'm capable of writing PHP and could make a version of this link work for me.

My thinking is that I would use the Trade Dangerous editor to manually key the prices if EDMC cannot send them. TradeDangerous produces an updated.prices file. I can write PHP that would parse the .prices file and send to EDDN.

My worry though is whether the EDDN subscribers would accept my 'application' from the EDDN or just chuck it away.

I'd have to learn Python to integrate this into TradeDangerous....

But if there's something out there I can use instead, that would be my preference.

Hi DRY411S,
There should be no problem for your application to send the data.
I am not aware of application being refuse, but it could be, we tend to love the API data because they help us clean the things.

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
I've writen an email to Anthornet (EDDN) and Andargor (EDCE) to see if they can help you further. I'm in the process of writing a PM to a few tool authors which use EDDN data and see if they shed some light on how they handle data from new publishers.

I also thought about TD for entering data. It all looks a bit overkill unless your and your group are already using Trade Dangerous. Perhaps a commander out there has a small tool which just fits your needs. Hopefully they will react.

Your best bet is a trading tool where users can upload their data which is then distributed to EDDN. BUT you have NOT found one it seems. Atm nearly99.99% of the data is coming from api tools like EDMC/EDAPI/API which is pristine. So its unclear if commanders of those tools are going to send manually entered data to EDDN. BUT given the state of the iPhone api where its not 100% reliable (as in api states no market where there is one) there certainly is a need for at least uploading those stations to EDDN.

I mentioned cmdr thrudd website. Did some digging and this I found this post in the open letter thread. To quote him: "Actually I'm directing my users to use the 'tool that we all know' to do updates and getting my updates via EDDN that way everyone connected to EDDN gets the data and it's correct. We cant rely on Elite OCR or manual updates being correct and most folks use the update tool now. If we get an official API then I'd certainly include something to post data from my site to the network for folks that don't want to use the other update tool.". Another post in the same thread. Another quote from the 28th of December: "Yeah my site was getting out of date as I'd not yet hooked it up to EDDN and other sites were so they were getting more data. I've spent the last week sorting that out so things should improve greatly over the next week.". It looks atm this is your best bet unless you make something yourself.

Edit: Send AnthorNet an email, He said he would react, guess he was faster then I with typing this post ;-)

Last edited:
Hi DRY411S,
There should be no problem for your application to send the data.
I am not aware of application being refuse, but it could be, we tend to love the API data because they help us clean the things.

My concern comes around the EDDN github sample code where there are examples for subscribers to reject EDDN messages unless the application is in a list. Example:

Code:
[TABLE="class: highlight tab-size js-file-line-container"]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"]// A sample list of authorised softwares
$authorisedSoftwares    = array(
    "EDCE",
    "ED-TD.SPACE",
    "EliteOCR",
    "Maddavo's Market Share",
    "RegulatedNoise",
    "RegulatedNoise__DJ"
);
// Used this to excludes yourself for example has you don't want to handle your own messages ^^
$excludedSoftwares      = array(
    'My Awesome Market Uploader'
);[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

If subscribers have implemented code like that, which only accepts messages from authorised software then I may be wasting my time, or will have to contact each subscriber individually and ask them to include me as 'authorised'. And because my solution relies on manual input of data, I'd understand why they may say no. :)

Your best bet is a trading tool where users can upload their data which is then distributed to EDDN. BUT you have NOT found one it seems.

Actually I HAVE. ED-TD.SPACE will allow authorised people to update data, and the EDDN github wiki claims that they are publishers. So far no luck contacting ED-TD.SPACE, and then again the Wiki also claims that Maddavo publishes to EDDN, and I'm pretty sure that isn't true.

In the meantime, I'll keep manually updating, and uploading to maddavo so at least the TD community can have this data.

Last edited:
My concern comes around the EDDN github sample code where there are examples for subscribers to reject EDDN messages unless the application is in a list. Example:

Code:
[TABLE="class: highlight tab-size js-file-line-container"]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"]// A sample list of authorised softwares
$authorisedSoftwares    = array(
    "EDCE",
    "ED-TD.SPACE",
    "EliteOCR",
    "Maddavo's Market Share",
    "RegulatedNoise",
    "RegulatedNoise__DJ"
);
// Used this to excludes yourself for example has you don't want to handle your own messages ^^
$excludedSoftwares      = array(
    'My Awesome Market Uploader'
);[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

If subscribers have implemented code like that, which only accepts messages from authorised software then I may be wasting my time, or will have to contact each subscriber individually and ask them to include me as 'authorised'. And because my solution relies on manual input of data, I'd understand why they may say no. :)

Actually I HAVE. ED-TD.SPACE will allow authorised people to update data, and the EDDN github wiki claims that they are publishers. So far no luck contacting ED-TD.SPACE, and then again the Wiki also claims that Maddavo publishes to EDDN, and I'm pretty sure that isn't true.

In the meantime, I'll keep manually updating, and uploading to maddavo so at least the TD community can have this data.

That is just a complete example of what can be done, it was added when some version of EliteOCR where bugging, but I'm not sure it is used.

I am sorry for ED-TD, I have not responded to you! Well you weren't there when I came back ;)
At first I was authorizing manual update, but I removed it in favor of 100% EDDN, the form was really hard to maintain and to submit,
one day they were more commodities than PHP could handle in his post request so I simply removed it.

One thing we could think of, is to re enable that form but doing the JSON conversion on client side to send to EDDN.

And yes, the Wiki and readme about EDDN is not actualised. I will do it when I got some time.

That is just a complete example of what can be done, it was added when some version of EliteOCR where bugging, but I'm not sure it is used.

I am sorry for ED-TD, I have not responded to you! Well you weren't there when I came back ;)
At first I was authorizing manual update, but I removed it in favor of 100% EDDN, the form was really hard to maintain and to submit,
one day they were more commodities than PHP could handle in his post request so I simply removed it.

One thing we could think of, is to re enable that form but doing the JSON conversion on client side to send to EDDN.

And yes, the Wiki and readme about EDDN is not actualised. I will do it when I got some time.

Thanks for the update. Dave (maddavo) has confirmed that he does not forward any uploaded updates to EDDN, probably for the same reasons that you have switched off ED-TD.

Don't worry about re-enabling it on ED-TD just for me. I'm up for the challenge of doing it myself now.

One advantage of manually updating in TD is that the editor challenges you if you put prices in that are skewed from previous max/mins, so there is a some 'sense checking' going on.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom