Discussion (EDJ) Elite Dangerous Java API

Hey there CMDRs,

I've been working a lot lately, also on my ED project EDJ now I have reached a point in my development state where I have a lack of journal data to further develop my API. So I was thinking of creating a journal recorder app that people can run in the background which detects new events in ED and sends them to my database to be stored, so I can fix and implement new events in the API.

My question now is how would you feel running such an App in the background and would you do it?

If not that is totally fine please tell me the reason why, so I understand what people are careful about and how to make them feel safer about running my apps.

If you are interested about what it is you can check for more https://github.com/XenoPyax/EDJ information.

Thanks for reading I wish you all a great day and fly dangerous! o7

Java as in java run time environment app.

The bloated system that requires you download a bloated secondary system to you PC that used to be made and coded by Sun Microsystems then taken over by oracle systems only or do you mean another java like java script in web browser shell app...

Due to it being a bloated mess many strip java from there PC so java runtime is no longer on PCs...

Guess your asking because Many hate the Proprietary non open source environment you have to add.

Yes I meant java as in Java run time App, tbh I didn't even know that java is such a bad language to do this in. Sadly my choice was made because that's the only language I know.

I'm unlikely to install a utility that requires Java or anything else unless it's of huge benefit to me.

Actually I'm unlikely to install anything at all .. would need to be portable.

Hey there CMDRs,

I've been working a lot lately, also on my ED project EDJ now I have reached a point in my development state where I have a lack of journal data to further develop my API. So I was thinking of creating a journal recorder app that people can run in the background which detects new events in ED and sends them to my database to be stored, so I can fix and implement new events in the API.

My question now is how would you feel running such an App in the background and would you do it?

If not that is totally fine please tell me the reason why, so I understand what people are careful about and how to make them feel safer about running my apps.

If you are interested about what it is you can check for more https://github.com/XenoPyax/EDJ information.

Thanks for reading I wish you all a great day and fly dangerous! o7
I am totally okay with running that in background.

Also, java is a very good language so don't let anyone dissuade you. It has it problems, but so do other languages.

Additionally, judging by the code, you can easilly bundle it with graalvm native-image.
In this case people without java jre will not need to install it.

Additionally, judging by the code, you can easilly bundle it with graalvm native-image.
In this case people without java jre will not need to install it.
Thanks, I was thinking about a way more complicated method to achieve that.

Top Bottom