EDO and AMD FSR, more FPS.

FDev have put FSR in to EDO as a way to bring performance up.

For those who don't know FSR is an AMD technology which renders at a lower than native resolution and using alsorts of clever stuff up-scales its back to native resolution for the screen at near native image quality, the benefit is higher FPS for a slightly degraded image quality.
That's basically DLSS, a similar Nvidia technology, its not 100% as good as DLSS 2.0 but very good in its own right and unlike DLSS its very easy to integrate in to games, and FSR doesn't care if your GPU is an AMD one or an Nvidia one or how old it is, as long as its a Maxwell / Polaris GPU or newer (Nvidia 900 series / AMD 500 Series)

In the link below i have a couple of comparison slider images.

Below that are the raw images so you can compare the FPS difference

Settings are 1440P with all the graphics quality setting at their highest.

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 2070 Super.

FSR off vs FSR Ultra Quality. use the slider to to slide across the two sides.

https://imgsli.com/NjM1NzA

The lighting is not the same in the two images, because the light changes every few seconds and its impossible to change the FSR settings in the menu before the lighting change cycles.

There is a small image quality degradation, but in return you get an extra 58% in FPS.

Source: https://i.imgur.com/SlDRJMj.png

Source: https://i.imgur.com/5v1R9j6.png
Tnx for post,Just note:
  • AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution work with the RX 470 and RX 480 GPUs.

Nope not at all, cpu is 15% used

Aggregate CPU utilization averaged over hundreds or thousands of ms often won't reveal a CPU limitation, even if there is one.

I got 14 cores with 28 threads

Which does nothing to help a game that defaults to six worker threads and is primarily limited by two main render threads.

And yet turn it off, gpu uses 99% or 100% and I get more frames. So fsr for me feels pointless

If you aren't fill rate limited, lowering resolution won't help much, and every upscaler has overhead.

At least dlss has tensor cores to give a bit of a boost.

I don't think tensor cores are doing what you think they are doing.

Shame fsr cannot tap into this additional resource

DLSS generally doesn't have lower overhead (it probably has a bit more on most modern hardware), but it has better quality for a given input resolution, largely because it can use temporal (previous frames), rather than just spatial, data.

AMD making something to leverage a proprietary NVIDIA feature wouldn't make much sense, even if NVIDIA were to allow it. Nor does Frontier allocating considerably more resources to integrate DLSS, which would be limited to the last two generations of higher-end NVIDIA parts.

FSR may be a stopgap, but at least it's an inexpensive, broadly applicable, one.

Regardless, judging from your experience, DLSS wouldn't help you much either.

Ok at this point i think i should expand on FSR.

As i said it renders a lower resolution and then up-scales that image to your screen resolution output.

The thing with that is if you're wanting to run 1080P FSR that's a 720P rendered image up-scaled to 1080P.
720P is a low resolution, there isn't much detail in it, edges are very jaggy, FSR cannot work with something that isn't there, so if the detail isn't there it cannot enhance it. You can't make an omelet without eggs.
To be frank its crap for 1080P up-scaling because what its doing is taking a bad image and exaggerating its badness.

To use it to solve a problem of performance that may be related to the game, rather than your hardwares lack of grunt is absolutely not what FSR was designed for.
Its purpose is if your hardware cannot get to 1440P or 4K but is fine at 1080P or 1440P FSR will give you that leg up.
It works extremely well at 4K up-scaled, you cannot tell the difference between Native 4K and 4K FSR because it has lots of detail to work with.

1440P with FSR enabled is about as low as you should go. Don't use it because you can't get 1080P running at reasonable FPS.

Last edited:
I turned FSR off, the slight increase in FPS simply wasn't worth the image degradation, while they were both small changes, I decided I preferred it off since I was already getting a good enough frame rate anyway.

Same, the lower resolution is more jarring to me than the frame rate when out exploring. Might switch it on if I go back to my alt before it’s fixed properly.

That would imply that if this is the way the developers are going with the so called optimisation progress, odyssey will only be playable on 2k capable hardware
greatly exceeding their advisory minimum spec.

That would imply that if this is the way the developers are going with the so called optimisation progress, odyssey will only be playable on 2k capable hardware
greatly exceeding their advisory minimum spec.

I don't think they've done much to address underlying performance issues, not yet. So far they are just gathering all the low hanging fruit and slapping on some bandages. Hopefully this is to buy them some time for a more in-depth overhaul, but I'm not sure such a feat will meet their expense/return threshold.

I turned FSR off, the slight increase in FPS simply wasn't worth the image degradation, while they were both small changes, I decided I preferred it off since I was already getting a good enough frame rate anyway.
Ditto. Went back to using CAS via Reshade. Prefer the sharper image at 1080p with a 1060. It's worth losing a few fps.

Does nvidia experience and extras update have an influence on how well FSR will perform on an nvidia gpu.
I don't use it, normally I normally only use the driver. I haven't installed the extra update for it

In EDO's settings, you might try "Anti-Alising = Off", "SSMA = Off", "Upscaling = Normal" <(FRS Off) and set Supersampling to "0.50" at your display's native resolution.

Sometimes, turning things off works better than having too many things turned on.

Fly safe.

Just tested Odyssey with FSR on my best gaming system (which has been tied up for the last week as I tune and retest all my F/V curves and memory timings)...

Performance scales almost perfectly linearly with internal render resolution unless I'm CPU limited (and I'm not at 4k, thanks partly to Frontier's updates and some of my AppConfig.xml tweaks, but mostly due to having a best-of-three 5800X sample tuned to the best of my ability). With Ultra Quality FSR at 4k Ultra+ the game is quite smooth on the surface.

FSR Ultra is both slightly faster and better looking than the standard 0.75x SS...at 3840*2160 output resolution.

Main issue is the poor quality of the AA options available with ED...even SMAA (which is considerably better than nothing and the best overall AA mode the game has) doesn't adequately mitigate jaggies. The higher resolution helps, but the aliasing is the main reason even Ultra Quality FSR is clearly not up to native quality.

That said, I think I'll continue to use it, as it's considerably more viable than any other combination of settings. Not everyone has a 2.6GHz 6800 XT on hand though.

Uploading a quick 4k60 video comparison between native 4k, FSR, and standard 0.75 SS (the closest preset to FSR resolution and performance). Will link to it sometime after hell freezes over Youtube finishes conversion.

This looks like you are completely CPU limited.

Render latency is falling because it takes the GPU less time to draw your frames, which in turn results in lower GPU utilization as the GPU can sit idle for more cycles between each frame it's sent. This is also well reflected in GPU power/temperature.

CPU utilization stays the same because the game is mostly limited by a handful of cores. If you look at per-core utilization with an application that can poll fast enough (every 100ms will do it) I am positive you'll see frequent spikes to near 100% utilization bouning between 2-4 of those logical cores.

Does nvidia experience and extras update have an influence on how well FSR will perform on an nvidia gpu.

I can't say for certain as I don't use GeForce experience on any of my NVIDIA parts, but I highly doubt it.

The thing with that is if you're wanting to run 1080P FSR that's a 720P rendered image up-scaled to 1080P.
720P is a low resolution, there isn't much detail in it, edges are very jaggy, FSR cannot work with something that isn't there, so if the detail isn't there it cannot enhance it. You can't make an omelet without eggs.
To be frank its crap for 1080P up-scaling because what its doing is taking a bad image and exaggerating its badness.
I've spent a few hours playing EDO with FSR, taking screenshots and analyzing them. What I found is that FSR does an amazing job reconstructing edges that are anti-aliased in the input image, regardless of resolution. In the output image these edges look like they were rendered in native resolution and not upscaled at all.

However, EDO produces plenty of jagged edges, especially around specular reflections, no matter which AA mode is used. FSR fails to detect these edges and merely upscales the jaggies.

Bottom line: For FSR to work well, we need better anti-aliasing.

It is a nice workaround for the time being but it is NOT an adequate replacement for proper game optimization. A game should not require FSR just to meet the expected performance for even above-recommended spec hardware setups. Both DLSS and FSR generally are meant for improving framerates for GPUs that are struggling to meet minimum spec, or for counteracting the big FPS hit you get from enabling ray tracing. It is NOT meant for supplementing game optimization to meet performance standards overall.

FDev have put FSR in to EDO as a way to bring performance up.

For those who don't know FSR is an AMD technology which renders at a lower than native resolution and using alsorts of clever stuff up-scales its back to native resolution for the screen at near native image quality, the benefit is higher FPS for a slightly degraded image quality.
That's basically DLSS, a similar Nvidia technology, its not 100% as good as DLSS 2.0 but very good in its own right and unlike DLSS its very easy to integrate in to games, and FSR doesn't care if your GPU is an AMD one or an Nvidia one or how old it is, as long as its a Maxwell / Ellesmere GPU or newer (Nvidia 900 series / AMD 400 Series)

In the link below i have a couple of comparison slider images.

Below that are the raw images so you can compare the FPS difference

Settings are 1440P with all the graphics quality setting at their highest.

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 2070 Super.

FSR off vs FSR Ultra Quality. use the slider to to slide across the two sides.

https://imgsli.com/NjM1NzA

The lighting is not the same in the two images, because the light changes every few seconds and its impossible to change the FSR settings in the menu before the lighting change cycles.

There is a small image quality degradation, but in return you get an extra 58% in FPS.

Source: https://i.imgur.com/SlDRJMj.png

Source: https://i.imgur.com/5v1R9j6.png

There is also a really bad artefacting issue ongoing with FSR Enabled:

FSR ON
AtJmLjk.png

FSR OFF
3FA1A46.png

But apparently everybody is so focused on the on foot gameplay that is not even being noticed.

The thing I don't like about having FSR switched on is it lowers the quality of the Ship HUD (check the left and right panels). It is really noticeable as that is something many of us have spent years looking at whilst flying. I've switched FSR off and gone back to the Normal setting.

There is also a really bad artefacting issue ongoing with FSR Enabled:

FSR ON
AtJmLjk.png

FSR OFF
3FA1A46.png

But apparently everybody is so focused on the on foot gameplay that is not even being noticed.

This looks a lot like what used to happen with reduced FX quality.

I'll see if I can duplicate it.

Top Bottom