EDO Performance low priority

Deleted member 182079

D
I find forums work better when you forget about concepts like "those kind of people" and respond to posts on a per-post basis, regardless of who posts it. Grouping individuals into categories and labeling them as 'haters' or 'white knights' only serves to dismiss posts based on shallow heuristics and dont help much.

It also helps against the above, where people claim to 'fight' people who 'pretend there are no issues'. If you find such a post, quote it and respond. If people only 'fight' it in general terms without ever quoting even a single post, maybe the 'enemy' is just a figment of the imagination.
Come on now Ian, profiling forumites is half the fun of forum life!

...going on endlessly on hyperbolic whining trajectories that won't ever add anything meaningful either to the awareness of the problem other than what's already been known for weeks, is a different thing.
What does that even mean and where do you draw the line? Seems like your saying complaining is all fine, well and required. But some other vague bunch of words used to describe something that could cover complaining or even constructive criticism (albeit maybe ignorantly repetitive), that's not real complaining and it's wrong?

What does that even mean and where do you draw the line? Seems like your saying complaining is all fine, well and required. But some other vague bunch of words used to describe something that could cover complaining or even constructive criticism (albeit maybe ignorantly repetitive), that's not real complaining and it's wrong?
Can't speak for them, but I know for me a lot of the complaints are now sort of getting drowned into noise. For example, we all know the performance issue is nowhere APPROACHING acceptable, but we're probably past the point where we need thread after thread, post after post about it. We all know it, Frontier have acknowledged it (and apologised for it) so just ends up beating a dead horse. Same kind of thing with ship interiors. Just because players demand something, doesn't mean we get it. (Ship interiors, not performance. Damn right we should be getting FAR better performance)

The bigger issue for me are the folks who seem like they're almost reveling in this. "Oh look, content creators are doing Star Citizen now, ahahahah Elite Dangerous is dead! Hahahaha!" or the "You people are sheep, Frontier are complete conmen who nefariously released this intentionally, Davey Braben is twirling his mustache evilly, cackling to himself as he sits on his pile of arx money, they don't care about players, the devs are all idiots, none of them even like Elite and probably play Star Citizen instead, and they're all miserable look at Glassdoor reviews, and also here's a Steam chart showing that on Sunday morning at 5am only a few hundred people were playing which proves everything I say is 100% right."

In the last hour i played Apex Legends, 144 FPS, with my GPU junction temperature at around 60 Celsius, (junction is the hottest spot). Within the same hour i hopped onto EDO, and in the station concourse i was getting 60-70 fps with my junction temperature at around 82 Celsius. De we see a problem here? I do. FDev are losing a lot of potential gamers to absolutely garbage performance, and what borders on malware in it's abuse of people's GPU's.
All of you players and all of your cockfighting is rather quite funny but you do know that the human eye can only pick-up 60ish frames per second in general or is this something you didn't know....lol
So maybe you guys should quit bragging about hardware and start looking at WHAT THE HUMAN EYE CAN AND CAN'T DO...
Cited: https://www.healthline.com/health/human-eye-fps#how-many-fps-do-people-see, this is just one of hundreds of cites and studies of the Human eye that you can look up anywhere, as this is just a simple google example.

It's rather complex but it depends on what resolution the gaming engine is set for and Hz it's designed for as EDho is primarily designed for low and high end platforms so it runs around 60ish for the platform versus the Human eye, which really doesn't matter as 60Hz is what your eyes really see whether you can convince yourself or not.

So really 60ish is a general or fair rate in Hz for the Human eye. Can you see the difference between 30 and 60 Hz? NO, you can't unless to start talking about resolution and size of pixels which a 140Hz frame rate as a high end "Large" resolution is the exact same as a 60Hz frame rate on a "smaller" resolution being the same thing as far as the Human eye can really only see 60Hz frames per second, it just takes more power or pixels per Hz, so to speak, to run the maximum frame rate on a larger resolution for the human eye.

Conclusion: Lower you resolution and you won't see the difference nor will you see a frame drop with EDho. Or you can just ignore studies in science with the Human eye and keep complaining.
Have a nice day...:)

The bigger issue for me are the folks who seem like they're almost reveling in this. "Oh look, content creators are doing Star Citizen now, ahahahah Elite Dangerous is dead! Hahahaha!" or the "You people are sheep, Frontier are complete conmen who nefariously released this intentionally, Davey Braben is twirling his mustache evilly, cackling to himself as he sits on his pile of arx money, they don't care about players, the devs are all idiots, none of them even like Elite and probably play Star Citizen instead, and they're all miserable look at Glassdoor reviews, and also here's a Steam chart showing that on Sunday morning at 5am only a few hundred people were playing which proves everything I say is 100% right."
Well, I got to say that I feel like they shouldn't have pursued this gameplay. I'm enjoying myself, but it requires effort to make it work and I could get better experience elsewhere. I think Dues Ex nailed this genre 20 years ago and if I wanted to play a current day tech open worldy, mmo heisty thing, Elite Dangerous wouldn't be my first port of call for that kind of satisfaction. But, I bought Odyssey as soon as it was available without really knowing what was going on and I'm making the most of it. As soon as I feel over powered enough in Odyssey, I'm going back to Horizon to enjoy the best space flight sim on the market, with my VR headset. That's the real Elite, and it's going to be hard work for Fdev to convince me otherwise.

Well, I got to say that I feel like they shouldn't have pursued this gameplay. I'm enjoying myself, but it requires effort to make it work and I could get better experience elsewhere. I think Dues Ex nailed this genre 20 years ago and if I wanted to play a current day tech open worldy, mmo heisty thing, Elite Dangerous wouldn't be my first port of call for that kind of satisfaction. But, I bought Odyssey as soon as it was available without really knowing what was going on and I'm making the most of it. As soon as I feel over powered enough in Odyssey, I'm going back to Horizon to enjoy the best space flight sim on the market, with my VR headset. That's the real Elite, and it's going to be hard work for Fdev to convince me otherwise.
I think (well, hope) we've only scratched the surface of it so far. We more or less know that on-foot AX stuff is coming, as well as other vehicles (save those vehicle schematics!). What I really want to see happen is more integration of on-foot and ship gameplay. Clear out a settlement, but one makes a break for it and escapes. Get word from the mission provider that they escaped to X system. Either go to the system and start scanning, or better yet, make the bartenders a bit more useful... visit a bartender in the system, slip 'em a few creds, get pointed in the right direction. (The person you're looking for is in an Asp Explorer called Does this Dress Make My Asp Look Big) And yeah, hopefully some day boarding megaships, and eventually ship interiors.

I dunno. There's loads - LOADS - that they could do with the game. I suppose I'm trying my best to be positive about what it is and what it could be. We all know FDev have a long-standing habit of tripping over their own feet, so there's every likelihood that this is the bulk of what we get, but...

It means the six replies between my quote and yours (minus a couple), and ubermick's one immediately after that. Especially that one, I think he expressed the point well. ;)

All of you players and all of your cockfighting is rather quite funny but you do know that the human eye can only pick-up 60ish frames per second in general or is this something you didn't know....lol
So maybe you guys should quit bragging about hardware and start looking at WHAT THE HUMAN EYE CAN AND CAN'T DO...
Cited: https://www.healthline.com/health/human-eye-fps#how-many-fps-do-people-see, this is just one of hundreds of cites and studies of the Human eye that you can look up anywhere, as this is just a simple google example.

It's rather complex but it depends on what resolution the gaming engine is set for and Hz it's designed for as EDho is primarily designed for low and high end platforms so it runs around 60ish for the platform versus the Human eye, which really doesn't matter as 60Hz is what your eyes really see whether you can convince yourself or not.

So really 60ish is a general or fair rate in Hz for the Human eye. Can you see the difference between 30 and 60 Hz? NO, you can't unless to start talking about resolution and size of pixels which a 140Hz frame rate as a high end "Large" resolution is the exact same as a 60Hz frame rate on a "smaller" resolution being the same thing as far as the Human eye can really only see 60Hz frames per second, it just takes more power or pixels per Hz, so to speak, to run the maximum frame rate on a larger resolution for the human eye.

Conclusion: Lower you resolution and you won't see the difference nor will you see a frame drop with EDho. Or you can just ignore studies in science with the Human eye and keep complaining.
Have a nice day...:)
i assume your post was intended to be taken as tongue-in-cheek…?

Hi, PhD in neuropsych here to let you know that that is factually not true. At all. Its a myth from the early 20th century repeated by mediocre highschool teachers. By now technology has progressed so far you could easily verify this yourself by going to your local computer store. If you do and can't see it, go see your GP as soon as possible.

Lol, I guess.

Yeah. "Clever", right?

Not really, because no matter how much they try to memory hole their earlier promise, it still opens a huge can of potential whoop-ARX for them, particularly when the "new and improved hardware requirements" become universal, essentially kicking existing Horizons owners out of the game they've already purchased.

And if they think PC owners are going to be mad about that, I've got even more bad news for them: Consoles. Because there is no way in hell that last gen consoles will be able to run ODY tech (which will be the ONLY tech according to the current plan) under the new requirements.

Unless FDev really gets on the ball and fixes the coding mess, which I really hope that they do. But it's going to take some doing if the current shambolic state is anything to go by.
EDO code

i assume your post was intended to be taken as tongue-in-cheek…?

Depends on how fast the tongue moves toward the cheek, above the 60 Hz threshold the tongue will become invisible to the human eye and the cheek will appear to grow a bump all by itself, was this really something you didn't know?

Hi, PhD in neuropsych here to let you know that that is factually not true. At all. Its a myth from the early 20th century repeated by mediocre highschool teachers. By now technology has progressed so far you could easily verify this yourself by going to your local computer store. If you do and can't see it, go see your GP as soon as possible.

Lol, I guess.
Exactly. All the science theories in the world have to give way to empirical evidence.

We can see the difference between 30, 60, and 120 Hz, therefore the human eye is capable of perceiving framerates higher than 60 frames per second.

Sorry there, it wasn't my intention to validate your opinion, sorry if I gave you that impression! What I actually meant is that you are utterly wrong, you are just repeating an echo chamber, oh and a straw man too, you are a white knight and an endless whiner and whatever is in between, in short, I despise your general take on everything!

I wish i could be happy with 40/60 fps at 1920x1080 like some people are. For me it’s a joke. In 2021 i expect 100 fps / 1440p - at HIGH to be the standard (and I am being generous) for a game like this, considering a 1080 and a decent cpu. At this point, it’s clear that the game will never be fixed. Maybe FDEV thinks that in the end we will upgrade our GPUs so the problem will be solved by bruteforce, but i will not set on fire a 1200 euros 3080 because they can’t hire some proper 3D programmer. Again, marketing and greed ****ed up everything. I’m extremely ****ed off as an old time player (started on c64). The only good thing is that someone wiser than them will understand that spacesim junkies will always play space sims, so a new game will be out basically stealing all the player base.

Last edited:
Sorry there, it wasn't my intention to validate your opinion, sorry if I gave you that impression! What I actually meant is that you are utterly wrong, you are just repeating an echo chamber, oh and a straw man too, you are a white knight and an endless whiner and whatever is in between, in short, I despise your general take on everything!
You stole my lines!

The only good thing is that someone wiser than them will understand that spacesim junkies will always play space sims, so a new game will be out basically stealing all the player base.
... which is unlikely to run on potato PCs either - SC anyone?
If the genre was considered profitable, surely we would be inundated with viable spacesims seeing as ED was released over 6 years ago? Plenty of time for an AAA studio to pick up the idea and run with it... instead there is NMS & X4 🤷‍♂️

R (3).jpg

Top Bottom