Education in Zoos and Museum Inspirations

Hello everyone, with all the talk about the museum like pieces and education in the 2024 spring dlc thread I felt like starting a dedicated one to it! Namely I want this to be a place where people can post some of the cool educational pieces your local zoo/ aquarium does, so we can collect a thread for building inspiration! Any form of educational “thing” is welcomed, from cool signs, to taxidermy, to interactive sets, to anything in between! So I’ll start first!

The “Zoo” I am highlighting is the Squam Lake Natural Science Center. It is a zoo of rescued local animals found in New England, tucked in the mountain ranges of my home state New Hampshire! This place is dedicated to interactive learning, and many of thing things I will be showing won’t even make up half of what is there. If you have kids I seriously couldn’t recommend it enough. With the background information out of the way I’ll show some of the cool things they do:

IMG_4357_Original.jpeg

This is an adorable interactive food web, it highlights who eats who. Not pictured but in the same building is a machine which shows the interaction between predator and prey. It allows you to raise or decrease the prey population in response to lack of food, disease, or there being plenty of food. All of which will affect the predator population.

IMG_4374_Original.jpeg

This is a taxidermy osprey with a nest. Once again a cool way of displaying wildlife without requiring living specimens. This place is full of taxidermy animals. I don’t know why but this one stuck out to me. Other than this osprey, they also have a bunch of animals showing what life can live in a dead tree! This includes raccoons, to owls, to bats. Perhaps some of the coolest is the taxidermy bears you can “find in a cave”, you can only see the bears by going through a crawl space, and the crawl space actually looks like a cave!

IMG_4397_Original.jpeg

Here is another cool interactive set, showing off scat and other signs of local wildlife! You can lift the knobs to show who did what, you can see which marks are left by a male deer, moose, or a porcupine. In this section are also skulls, antlers, and even a skeleton you can “build yourself”.

IMG_4420_Original.jpeg

Remember that crawl space I mentioned? Well here it is! Not only does the wall have some adorable paintings, but there are a ton of liftable plaques to learn about black bears!

IMG_4422_Original.jpeg

This cute little picnic is showing what black bears can eat! Once again a cool way to provide personality to a zoo, way more fun than just a basic sign. In this area we also can see what to do to avoid bears, and how not to leave out food to attract them.

IMG_4359_Original.jpeg

Here we see the animals that can live in a tree! Not pictured is the bat who lives under the bark, the mouse who lives in the roots, or the owl circling above!

IMG_4439_Original.jpeg

A bit more typical for zoos, but here we have what defines a raptor, featuring animals native to my state! I do like the educational signs in game, but I would like some more specific things. Once I start to learn how to apply custom files I’m sure I can start to scratch some of this itch. In the bird and raptor area there is even a game you can play. You have to guide your ball the “bird” to the end while avoiding the holes which are predators and man made issues. Tones of beautiful taxidermy, and even little flaps you can lift to identify different groups of birds.

IMG_4475_Original.jpeg

Ever wondered what lived in the dirt, just below your feet? Here is some educational statues. Showing the mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and arthropods that call the earth home. Not pictured is this piece is found in a building dedicated to the ground, showing off ants and all the other little creatures that live in the soil and mud. It even has a little kitchen which shows off what worms and other animals do to recycle nutrients.

IMG_4368_Original.jpeg

We have something like this in game already, but here we have an interact-able soundboard featuring native frog species. I have yet to use the sound paws in game, I have no idea how to upload files in game. I’m sure I can figure it out somehow.

IMG_4415_Original.jpeg

So to finish this off I wanted to show how this zoo uses play to help with learning. Not pictured here is a big tree with stairs inside. On that tree you can see a big stuft spider hanging off the limbs which you can see the back of. Near that spider you can see a giant web made out of ropes. You can climb that web, and enter a small crawl way. Inside of it is pretty dark, with little areas you can feel to identify objects. Which is supposed to mimic how spiders feel their way around. Inside this building are also animal pelts, and another crawl space showing more animals that live underground.

This place is really cool, and I couldn’t stress how underrated I find it. I’ll also say I am biased as I used to go here as a kid all the time. Still, I really think this can be beneficial for our future builds! Zoos form an important corner stone for animal education, so I’m curious to see what other zoos do.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, with all the talk about the museum like pieces and education in the 2024 spring dlc thread I felt like starting a dedicated one to it! Namely I want this to be a place where people can post some of the cool educational pieces your local zoo/ aquarium does, so we can collect a thread for building inspiration! Any form of educational “thing” is welcomed, from cool signs, to taxidermy, to interactive sets, to anything in between! So I’ll start first!

The “Zoo” I am highlighting is the Squam Lake Natural Science Center. It is a zoo of rescued local animals found in New England, tucked in the mountain ranges of my home state New Hampshire! This place is dedicated to interactive learning, and many of thing things I will be showing won’t even make up half of what is there. If you have kids I seriously couldn’t recommend it enough. With the background information out of the way I’ll show some of the cool things they do:

View attachment 386659

This is an adorable interactive food web, it highlights who eats who. Not pictured but in the same building is a machine which shows the interaction between predator and prey. It allows you to raise or decrease the prey population in response to lack of food, disease, or there being plenty of food. All of which will affect the predator population.

View attachment 386660

This is a taxidermy osprey with a nest. Once again a cool way of displaying wildlife without requiring living specimens. This place is full of taxidermy animals. I don’t know why but this one stuck out to me. Other than this osprey, they also have a bunch of animals showing what life can live in a dead tree! This includes raccoons, to owls, to bats. Perhaps some of the coolest is the taxidermy bears you can “find in a cave”, you can only see the bears by going through a crawl space, and the crawl space actually looks like a cave!

View attachment 386661

Here is another cool interactive set, showing off scat and other signs of local wildlife! You can lift the knobs to show who did what, you can see which marks are left by a male deer, moose, or a porcupine. In this section are also skulls, antlers, and even a skeleton you can “build yourself”.

View attachment 386662

Remember that crawl space I mentioned? Well here it is! Not only does the wall have some adorable paintings, but there are a ton of liftable plaques to learn about black bears!

View attachment 386663

This cute little picnic is showing what black bears can eat! Once again a cool way to provide personality to a zoo, way more fun than just a basic sign. In this area we also can see what to do to avoid bears, and how not to leave out food to attract them.

View attachment 386665

Here we see the animals that can live in a tree! Not pictured is the bat who lives under the bark, the mouse who lives in the roots, or the owl circling above!

View attachment 386666

A bit more typical for zoos, but here we have what defines a raptor, featuring animals native to my state! I do like the educational signs in game, but I would like some more specific things. Once I start to learn how to apply custom files I’m sure I can start to scratch some of this itch. In the bird and raptor area there is even a game you can play. You have to guide your ball the “bird” to the end while avoiding the holes which are predators and man made issues. Tones of beautiful taxidermy, and even little flaps you can lift to identify different groups of birds.

View attachment 386669

Ever wondered what lived in the dirt, just below your feet? Here is some educational statues. Showing the mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and arthropods that call the earth home. Not pictured is this piece is found in a building dedicated to the ground, showing off ants and all the other little creatures that live in the soil and mud. It even has a little kitchen which shows off what worms and other animals do to recycle nutrients.

View attachment 386667

We have something like this in game already, but here we have an interact-able soundboard featuring native frog species. I have yet to use the sound paws in game, I have no idea how to upload files in game. I’m sure I can figure it out somehow.

View attachment 386668

So to finish this off I wanted to show how this zoo uses play to help with learning. Not pictured here is a big tree with stairs inside. On that tree you can see a big stuft spider hanging off the limbs which you can see the back of. Near that spider you can see a giant web made out of ropes. You can climb that web, and enter a small crawl way. Inside of it is pretty dark, with little areas you can feel to identify objects. Which is supposed to mimic how spiders feel their way around. Inside this building are also animal pelts, and another crawl space showing more animals that live underground.

This place is really cool, and I couldn’t stress how underrated I find it. I’ll also say I am biased as I used to go here as a kid all the time. Still, I really think this can be beneficial for our future builds! Zoos form an important corner stone for animal education, so I’m curious to see what other zoos do.
I saw this and I absolutely need to add here. There used to be this place near me called the South Shore Natural Science Center. It was great for kids (and adults alike) and I went there many a time on rainy days when I had nothing to do. They closed to the public in 2020 and sadly haven’t opened back up since. I’ll post the few pictures I found that would fit here. To get an idea, this is the outside of the building
IMG_4052.jpeg

Once you would walk up those steps and into the door, there would be a small office to your left and a small gift shop to your right. The office was mostly for directions and such. The gift shop had things like local animal and plant guides and those plush birds that sing when you press on them. Across from you there was a door into Vine Hall, which was a big open space they could use for presentations. Sometimes they had our local reptile guy come and such. to the left past the office was where the museum started, we’ll get to that later. If you look up, the ceiling is in a circular shape in between all of these, and it’s painted like you’re looking up from underwater of a pond, there’s a coyote and deer drinking from it. There was also a Bighorn Sheep head on the wall of the office, despite us not having any in MA. We’ll start our tour by going forward. Vine hall was mostly empty. It had tall ceilings, gray carpeted floor, and large windows in the back. In the back left corner they had a beautiful taxidermy grizzly bear (once again, not a MA species) that was mounted on a rock standing on its hind legs. Along the windows, they had a long wooden shelf-like thing that went along the bottom of them with paintings of the birds you could spot in the forest it faced. Back out and into the museum, it starts with a New England Seashore display. I don’t have any pictures of it, but the best way I could describe it is if the NEAQ’s seabird display was about half the size and had epoxy as water. They had all sorts of things in there like some taxidermy gulls and plovers and a ton of seashells. Past that, you could go either left or straight. To the left, there was a tank with oddly an Iguana in it. turn left from there and you’ll see some tanks with some inverts like cockroaches and such. You’ll then come to a hall that one wall has been painted to look like a meadow. There are a bunch of flaps you can lift, revealing things like taxidermy weasels and groundhogs.
IMG_4053.jpeg

You then cross a little faux-river on a bridge that was sometimes on sometimes not. On the opposite wall there’s a display on the layers of a tree and also one on how natives lived in the area. If you keep going forward, you’ll come to the gem of the place.
IMG_4048.jpeg
If you go straight instead, there’s a display about how the moon affects tides where you can move a model moon and it will show you how the tide will react, there’s also a wall of local dinosaur fossils, such as Dino tracks, our state fossil. We’ve now reached the main area, which is a huge pond with two different turtle species, those being the red-bellied cooter and the snapping turtle.
IMG_4047.jpeg

snappers were to the close side of the log and cooters were to the bigger, far side. Speaking of the log, it is a great education item for little kids. They can crawl through it from one side to the other. There’s windows into both exhibits, and one up to the taxidermy raccoon.
IMG_4046.jpeg

IMG_4044.jpeg

past the turtle tank, there’s a little area with a few small exhibits for things like small snakes, salamanders, and frogs.
IMG_4045.jpeg

Out back, there was a small farm area with chickens and some wonderful wood carvings.
IMG_4050.jpeg
IMG_4051.jpeg

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. Sorry if this has been a bit long!

Idk if this is just a german thing since i couldnt really find english examples of this, but over here wherever you have a pond in a zoo, and often times in parks, hiking trails and stuff too, your almost guaranteed to run into some variation of this type of info sign.
Usually labeld "life at the pond", "ecosystem pond" or something along these lines it shows the different organism living in and around the water and gives some info about them.

FH19-ZZ.neutral.1000_resized_1280.jpg

images.jpg
Wir-tauchen-ein-in-den-Lebensraum_Weiher-und-T-mpel1.jpg

I saw this and I absolutely need to add here. There used to be this place near me called the South Shore Natural Science Center. It was great for kids (and adults alike) and I went there many a time on rainy days when I had nothing to do. They closed to the public in 2020 and sadly haven’t opened back up since. I’ll post the few pictures I found that would fit here. To get an idea, this is the outside of the building
View attachment 386730
Once you would walk up those steps and into the door, there would be a small office to your left and a small gift shop to your right. The office was mostly for directions and such. The gift shop had things like local animal and plant guides and those plush birds that sing when you press on them. Across from you there was a door into Vine Hall, which was a big open space they could use for presentations. Sometimes they had our local reptile guy come and such. to the left past the office was where the museum started, we’ll get to that later. If you look up, the ceiling is in a circular shape in between all of these, and it’s painted like you’re looking up from underwater of a pond, there’s a coyote and deer drinking from it. There was also a Bighorn Sheep head on the wall of the office, despite us not having any in MA. We’ll start our tour by going forward. Vine hall was mostly empty. It had tall ceilings, gray carpeted floor, and large windows in the back. In the back left corner they had a beautiful taxidermy grizzly bear (once again, not a MA species) that was mounted on a rock standing on its hind legs. Along the windows, they had a long wooden shelf-like thing that went along the bottom of them with paintings of the birds you could spot in the forest it faced. Back out and into the museum, it starts with a New England Seashore display. I don’t have any pictures of it, but the best way I could describe it is if the NEAQ’s seabird display was about half the size and had epoxy as water. They had all sorts of things in there like some taxidermy gulls and plovers and a ton of seashells. Past that, you could go either left or straight. To the left, there was a tank with oddly an Iguana in it. turn left from there and you’ll see some tanks with some inverts like cockroaches and such. You’ll then come to a hall that one wall has been painted to look like a meadow. There are a bunch of flaps you can lift, revealing things like taxidermy weasels and groundhogs. View attachment 386731
You then cross a little faux-river on a bridge that was sometimes on sometimes not. On the opposite wall there’s a display on the layers of a tree and also one on how natives lived in the area. If you keep going forward, you’ll come to the gem of the place.View attachment 386732If you go straight instead, there’s a display about how the moon affects tides where you can move a model moon and it will show you how the tide will react, there’s also a wall of local dinosaur fossils, such as Dino tracks, our state fossil. We’ve now reached the main area, which is a huge pond with two different turtle species, those being the red-bellied cooter and the snapping turtle. View attachment 386733
snappers were to the close side of the log and cooters were to the bigger, far side. Speaking of the log, it is a great education item for little kids. They can crawl through it from one side to the other. There’s windows into both exhibits, and one up to the taxidermy raccoon.View attachment 386734
View attachment 386735
past the turtle tank, there’s a little area with a few small exhibits for things like small snakes, salamanders, and frogs.
View attachment 386736
Out back, there was a small farm area with chickens and some wonderful wood carvings.
View attachment 386737View attachment 386738
Thank you for coming to my TED talk. Sorry if this has been a bit long!
If I was a kid I would have LOVED THIS PLACE, I like the mix of live animals and taxidermy. Honestly that would be a cool way to make exhibits look more lively in Planet Zoo

Idk if this is just a german thing since i couldnt really find english examples of this, but over here wherever you have a pond in a zoo, and often times in parks, hiking trails and stuff too, your almost guaranteed to run into some variation of this type of info sign.
Usually labeld "life at the pond", "ecosystem pond" or something along these lines it shows the different organism living in and around the water and gives some info about them.

View attachment 386739

View attachment 386740View attachment 386741
If I remember you are making a Black Forest type build, you should use these in your zoos!

Oh my god, this is some seriously amazing stuff going on here. Would absolutely support more educational items in the game, and definitely skeletons as mentioned in the Spring thread. I realize this gets closer to "museum" than "zoo" but getting even just a few of these things in would be great. There's also a near complete lack of PC museum games and what very few things are out there are not really simulators. I've long supported an idea for Planet Museum, but having just a few things in PZ would be amazing.

Oh my god, this is some seriously amazing stuff going on here. Would absolutely support more educational items in the game, and definitely skeletons as mentioned in the Spring thread. I realize this gets closer to "museum" than "zoo" but getting even just a few of these things in would be great. There's also a near complete lack of PC museum games and what very few things are out there are not really simulators. I've long supported an idea for Planet Museum, but having just a few things in PZ would be amazing.
I have some more stuff I plan on posting, but if you have anything feel free to share! I understand it sometimes feels like a museum, but what is a zoo other than a living museum collection? Displaying living natural wonders instead of a collection of dead ones. Often times play, eduction, museums, and zoos can all be interconnected. I know one zoo near me, Franklin Park Zoo does something really cool:

It has a statue of a leopard carrying an impala placed in a real tree! Near the lions it also has a collection of “skeletons” too. Sometimes these things are more than just educational, it adds character into zoos! Which is what inspired me to do this thread. We often post buildings and habitats, but this thread is meant to inspire the little educational/ thematic learning Zoos can also serve. From an rhino exhibit showcasing an ivory horn collection, to an Amazon exhibit showcasing the seeds of the Amazon and what local communities do to make money.

I have some more stuff I plan on posting, but if you have anything feel free to share! I understand it sometimes feels like a museum, but what is a zoo other than a living museum collection? Displaying living natural wonders instead of a collection of dead ones. Often times play, eduction, museums, and zoos can all be interconnected. I know one zoo near me, Franklin Park Zoo does something really cool:

It has a statue of a leopard carrying an impala placed in a real tree! Near the lions it also has a collection of “skeletons” too. Sometimes these things are more than just educational, it adds character into zoos! Which is what inspired me to do this thread. We often post buildings and habitats, but this thread is meant to inspire the little educational/ thematic learning Zoos can also serve. From a rhino exhibit showcasing an ivory horn collection, to an Amazon exhibit showcasing the seeds of the Amazon and what local communities do to make money.
Speaking of which, I have a bunch of photos of educational things at FPZ that I’ve actually taken instead of found on Yelp 🤣 First is in their Bird’s World exhibit, a sign talking about the different kinds of bills and webbing on birds feet that help them swim and eat
IMG_0409.jpeg

In the same building, there’s also the wingspan and height comparison to some birds. We have something similar in PZ but this one I think is better.
IMG_0404.jpeg
IMG_0403.jpeg

Here are the seed pods RightWhale was talking about in the Rainforest building
IMG_0331-min.jpeg

Also this panel on rainforest plants
IMG_0336-min.jpeg

These two are outside the new Gorilla habitat
IMG_0386-min.jpeg
IMG_0385-min.jpeg

There’s this one about snake’s vision
IMG_0364-min.jpeg

One about chicks and eggs
IMG_0306-min.jpeg

I’ll put up a Part 2 soon

Attachments

• IMG_0273-min.jpeg
    IMG_0273-min.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Part 2!
The amazing signs of Nature’s Neighborhoods
IMG_0276-min.jpeg
IMG_0288-min.jpeg
IMG_0273-min.jpeg
IMG_0285-min.jpeg

There’s this one on enrichment
IMG_0343.jpeg

This one has stuff about snakes and snake skin
IMG_0348.jpeg

Also, the leopard in a tree is just an impala statue, there’s two telescopes looking at it from the path and there’s a “keeper’s note” that says that a leopard dragged it up there.

Kinda of an extention of the pond thing but i found these examples of dioramas which i really enjoy.
The muskrat one could totally be adapted to show a beaver lodge in crossection, either as a seperate display or even as part of the habitat so you can look into the actual lodge

a0cf6c01-35da-4d12-9c89-5e9f5a3a7f98_1200x900.jpg

wildlife_1.jpg

Kinda of an extention of the pond thing but i found these examples of dioramas which i really enjoy.
The muskrat one could totally be adapted to show a beaver lodge in crossection, either as a seperate display or even as part of the habitat so you can look into the actual lodge

View attachment 386770

View attachment 386771
These remind me so much of some like this they have at the Museum of Science in Boston. They have a bunch of different ones there all based on New England habitats.
Source: https://youtu.be/od-ISgJn6_I?feature=shared

Ok I tried to look through my camera roll and edit pictures to get them to fit on the forum, so I have some more!

IMG_3978_Original.jpeg

From Franklin Park Zoo, here is a “dead impala stored in a tree by a leopard”, as @Orkan and I explained they even have binoculars for you to look through! A very cool way to display predator dynamics in a zoo. Would be hard to replicate in PZ but it might be worth a try!

IMG_3979_Original.jpeg

I have two more things from FPZ, this one being “ivory” to display and talking about poaching. I would love some tusk props, with all of the “junk” props you could make a realistic poachers cash.

IMG_4015_Original.jpeg

Here is the last one from FPZ! This is just a fun way to compare sizes with some animals from the Congo! While I recognize with enough pieces I can recreate this in Planet Zoo, I always have to try to think how to keep Piece Count low for my Pc. It can cause even builds like this to be laggy. Still cool to do for those who can recreate it! We do have the one gorilla item in game, but the gorilla and the giraffe are just not enough!

IMG_5575_Original.jpeg

This one is from Roger Williams Zoo, the fake elephant skull with the educational signs behind it really helps to add to the “vibe” of a habitat. While it is morbid, for reasons like this I would love to have skulls in PZ!

IMG_4399_Original.jpeg

Antlers would be cool, especially for the deer species already in game. This is from Squam Lake and it shows off how male antlers change the longer the deer lives!

IMG_4391_Original.jpeg

Also from Squam Lake, being able to display paws (as morbid as it is) would be nice for animals like our big cats. Also having paw tracks would be cool as well. Imagine NPC children being able to compare their hand to a tiger or bears, would be cool.

IMG_6500_Original.jpeg

This display is not from a zoo, but as @Orkan said above it’s from the Boston Museum of Science. Here we see a moose taxidermy set attempting to replicate its native habitat. This may sound weird but I can see his adding flair to some zoos. Perhaps your European zoo is too small to feature the wisent, but you have the taxidermy and are able to display the animal regardless. Being able to educate the visitors on this endangered species, without having to actually build a habitat for it.

I remembered this last night, at Capron Zoo, one of the smallest in NE, they have a statue of a bee and a bunch of signs to learn about them. There!s also a window in the fence so you can look through at the bees they keep in hives during the summer.
IMG_4054.jpeg

Top Bottom