In-Development Elite Cougar MFD Cockpit Display - game changing new companion app

Do you want to bring your Elite Dangerous cockpit to life!

With a pair of Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's and two 8" LCD monitors, I can take Elite's instrumentation to the next level by rendering real-time cockpit displays in stunning 3D.
Weather you're in combat, launching an SRV or exploring deep space, the extended cockpit dynamically updates according to the current game status and displays realistic and valuable information back to the player.

Forget plastic printed inserts! This is the real thing! This software renders beautifully animated icons which dynamically respond to the Cougar's button presses as well as other scene animations.

The initial launch will start with two virtual cockpit layouts (general purpose flight and a weapons/defence focused layout). Future versions planned include SRV deployments, SLF deployments and Wing commands.

The concept prototype has already been developed and shown to be working. The plan is to have this system fully working before Elite Dangerous 4.0
With your support we can make it happen.

This is different from this how?

EDIT: just to be clear, I am not criticising, just asking.

Last edited:
This is different from this how?

EDIT: just to be clear, I am not criticising, just asking.
I suppose it's a bit like saying a graphical adventure game (popular in the last 80s) is just the same as the text turn-by-turn adventure games. In my view they are completely different. In this case the presentation of the information and the way its delivered is the key.
Time will tell I suppose.

I suppose it's a bit like saying a graphical adventure game (popular in the last 80s) is just the same as the text turn-by-turn adventure games. In my view they are completely different. In this case the presentation of the information and the way its delivered is the key.
Time will tell I suppose.
I was rather expecting information and screenshots etc since "The concept prototype has already been developed and shown to be working" - never mind - good luck with your thing.

I was rather expecting information and screenshots etc since "The concept prototype has already been developed and shown to be working" - never mind - good luck with your thing.
It's in alpha stage where all the pieces of the puzzle are coming together, but the graphics are not yet in a state to be shown. Maybe in a few weeks I'll post up some progress images.

I'm making steady progress although summer hols, weddings and other events seem to have taken over recently.
Meanwhile I've added speech synthesis and multiple worker threads to avoid any chance of stutter and researched how to trick Windows into making all the available voices available to the app. Could be quite interesting.
I'll post again with another update when I get a chance.

I've integrated my uber effects framework shader into the engine now so that the displays have some nice interesting effects happening either during or as a result of Elite interaction. Fixed an issue reading from the Journal files. Previously I had been testing against my own Journal simulator which never highlighted any issues at all. Just shows what real-world testing throws up! Next up is the writing of a notice board like section so that game events are rendered to a nice display in the centre of the console

Still plagued by the occasional file lock on the journals. Most of the time I run a journal simulator utility that I wrote rather than relying upon in-game events to test with. Seems I needed to re-write the event saving part so that it's more file sharing friendly.

Also still having issues with the UTC time conversions. The switching between UTC and local time seems ... unreliable, sometimes working flawlessly then suddenly not working. I've been using the Windows API to access 'file system times' and this seems to be the root cause. Switching over to a new code base with proper actual timezone logic seems to have finally resolved the issue, but it seems odd that I had to go to such lengths. Why does Elite write files in UTC time in the first place? Within the game itself there are places where UTC time is shown and other places where the time is local - you only have to look at mission times and comms messages to see this in effect.

On the positive side, the implementation of the notice board has gone pretty well. Up to 10 simultaneous messages can be displayed, each having their own set of associated timers and animation. This is per MFD.

Now just need to workout what to do when more messages are to be displayed than the board maximum (unlikely, but we still have to code that up).......

He’s excited and sharing his enthusiasm.

I know how that goes.

Only potential problem is building something up in people’s minds only to get lukewarm reception at actual launch.

I hope you do well BB and it turns out exactly how YOU want it.

Clicker

I'm trying to understand why you're posting with nothing to show.
This isn’t a plug-in or a set of scripts. It’s a fully fledged 3D game engine and as such some aspects aren’t ready for public viewing because to see them when they don’t look too nice would ruin some of the shine and may put off some people. Assists take time to produce and even longer to polish. On top of that the GLSL shaders need to be checked for a diverse set of hardware differences on PC.
However, in my opinion it’s wise to raise awareness of the app ahead of time so that it gets a decent reception on launch due to some awareness by the community.

Top Bottom