ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Horizons for PS4

Congratulations, I've been waiting for this.

Frontier, please work on cross-play. We need to be able to meet each other out there.

Something I'd like to find out is joystick support. Can we find out if ED will support the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS... not just the 4 model which is made for the PS4, but the X model originally made for the PS3.

This is key because the X model still largely works on the PS4 (from what I hear) and is still available for purchase at various sources, cheaper than the X model. This could provide a more affordable HOTAS solution for PS4 players.

Or maybe one would even set up a thread trying to explain why it now looks like the development is being pushed back by almost one year and why there is no season three.

Almost 1 year? Let's see...
  • 2.1 - Moved from Q1 to Spring, released on 26th May (in Spring, following 6 week announced delay)
  • 2.2 - Summer (ends 20th Sep), released on 25th Oct (5 weeks "late", approx 2 month delay)
  • 2.3 - Autumn (ends 20th Dec), no new ETA
  • 2.4 - TBA

Regarding this part from David Braben's statement on Sony's PlayStation blog...
When Elite Dangerous arrives on PlayStation 4 next year, we’re bringing the full game with everything in our ‘Horizons’ season of expansions included

...CMDR Dream Woven commented...
Presumably that means the rest of the horizons season will be launching on PC and xbox in Q1 and 2 prior to it all hitting the PlayStation.

...and Dale replied with:
A valid assumption, but I'm not going to promise one way or the other. Essentially the best thing to remember is this:
  • PlayStation 4 release = content available on PC/Xbox One at the time
  • Subsequent major updates / point updates will hit all 3 at the same time
We're not going to commit to set dates at this time because, as you know, these can change. We want to get things right, so will take the time necessary to do so.
2.3 in Q1, 2.4 in Q2 around the time of the ED on PS4 launch, approximately. And each promoted at Pax East and E3 respectively.

So not a year then, more like 3-4 months. Dramatic panic over ;)

Regarding Season 3, while I and many in the community would like more information about it, it's FDev's decision to announce when it best suits them. I would guess at either Pax East or E3. Patience is a virtue :)

Incorrect. The Xbox One team at Frontier is also working on the PlayStation 4 version as well. The console team is not working on the game on the PC variant. The development speed of Elite Dangerous on PC still remains as it normally does. ED on PC is ported to Xbox One and PlayStation 4. There are a few backports in terms of optimization passes, but that's about it.

I'm confused on these points you're trying to convey, because we've not changed developers - we are our own development team. We self-publish Elite Dangerous.

Any chance one of those back ported features could be a lovely TAA/TSSAA solution. Pretty please! :)

Another question is if the PS4 owners buy ED and get Horizons for free will this be available to Xbox and Desktop customers?

Ho for shame but I did not say the development team had changed they just keep changing what they are working on, maybe it would be nice if they said sorry but our targets were to high. Or maybe one would even set up a thread trying to explain why it now looks like the development is being pushed back by almost one year and why there is no season three.
I have been a game tester for a long time and already know most PC programmers do not work on console programming though they do help explain what needs doing and help with some of the crossover software. And to say adding different platforms for Elite Dangerous does not slow down development is very sadly WRONG.
But are all verions released at the same time? :)

You say "too long" like it means something... [haha] Too long for what? Your practicalities? ;)

We all know the game is in ongoing development. Besides lava worlds done right are worth waiting for, IMO. Can't wait to drive over slow moving lava flows. Might be worth getting an SRV.
My expectations were too high on 16.12.14, being that I thought we'd have a tonne of shinies as stated in the <cough>DDF<cough>. It's just been a long slog ATM, a slog that makes me wish I was 20 years younger the speed that development is going ATM (then again, I remember being more impatient 20 years ago than I am now ...)! But I shall dig deep and muster the energy to remember what I signed up for at PB! :D

PS: Extra tough tires needed for those lava flows!

Last edited:
If this was published elsewhere before, sorry for reposting old news. But it was new to me, from today's newsletter. Looks like 2.3 will release before the PS4 product is available. Then 2.4 will be patched in from there. From the newsletter:

The total package that anyone who bought Elite Dangerous: Horizons on PC or Xbox One would get. So that’s Elite Dangerous, Community Goals, Wings, Powerplay, CQC, Ships, Planetary Landings, The Engineers and The Guardians, plus 2.3: The Commanders which we’ll be launching before the PlayStation 4 release next year. The PS4 release includes the Horizons season pass, so, of course, you’ll get 2.4, too.

This is interesting - I think it gives us an insight into the 10 year plan

Year 1 - PC release and enough to keep them happy (ish)
Year 2 - XBox release and enough to keep them happy (ish)
Year 3 - PS4 release.. & TBA

This bit is speculative

Year 4 - Nintendo Wii
Year 5 - Apple ipad release (depend on whether their technology has been updated by then though)
Year 6 - Samsung and other smartphone release
Year 7 - Updates for the BBC Micro (probably MMO)
Year 8 - Updates for the Commadore 64
Year 9 - Updates for the ZX spectrum 48K and Amstrad products (excluding that scooter thing)
Tear 10 - TBA and close for winter as its finally arrived.

Am not so sure about those additional years, i think you forgot the Raspberry Pi on there. ;)

I'll gladly take an Elite Dangerous Nintendo Switch Edition!

Greetings Commanders, we've got some very exciting news today! We're bringing Elite Dangerous: Horizons to PS4 in Q2 of 2017!...

What I read:

We're very excited to welcome PS4 Commanders to the Elite Dangerous galaxy as we continue to develop the game for Xbox One, PC and soon for PS4!

Literally, in plain english, the developers have officially and explicitly said here that there will be cross-platform play between PC, Xbox, and PS4 on "THE" same and only server for the game.

If it isn't, then you'd better correct this fast, and explicitly. Most gamers are done with this bullcrap of seperate servers. We want to game with our friends cross-platform, and we will vote with our wallets. NMS wisened us all up to the lies and bullcrap of game devs, and we're not going to tolerate it at all anymore.

Cross-platform, or shut-up and get out.

What I read:

Literally, in plain english, the developers have officially and explicitly said here that there will be cross-platform play between PC, Xbox, and PS4 on "THE" same and only server for the game.

If it isn't, then you'd better correct this fast, and explicitly. Most gamers are done with this bullcrap of seperate servers. We want to game with our friends cross-platform, and we will vote with our wallets. NMS wisened us all up to the lies and bullcrap of game devs, and we're not going to tolerate it at all anymore.

You're understanding it wrong. We all currently play in the same galaxy. PC, Xbox One and Mac all play and influence the same galaxy and the same background simulation. We just can't see each other in-game. So, FDev is bringing the galaxy to the PS4, still doesn't mean cross-platform play. It simply means that we won't be able to see each other on different platforms. Still the same galaxy.

What I read:

Ah well the PS4 players are used to disappointment and over promises...because they decide how the game is going to be played rather than waiting to see how it is going to be played...or it is actually played everywhere else! LOL!

As well as having to buy an XBone to protect my "unique" commander name, I now have to buy a PS4 ... damn my autism! :)

On consoles your CMDR name is your gamertag. All you need is to create a Live / PSN account, no need to buy a console, to register your GT.

What I read:

The GALAXY is shared. PC and Xbox play on the same background simulation. CGs are global, actions done in one platform affect the other, etc.
You can't see PC players and vice versa, but the background simulation is shared.

Maybe read up what the features mean in the Elite context before making wild accusations without any basis.

Top Bottom