Patch Notes Update Elite Dangerous: Horizons patch 2.0.05

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Very nice update, thanks a lot... Now I'm torn between searching for odd ships, or barnacles in other Nebulae.

Care to elaborate on that one ...even just a little?
The fixes probably wouldn't make any sense to you as they would be things like:
* Corrected overflow error in background database updater due to binary coded decimal conversion.
* Refactored control flow widget.
* Removed non-sequential foo in bar module.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
This time i have to agree with you. Game breaking fixes takes really damn long this time. To much to handle for Frontier?

Your question makes no sense. The person you quoted and Victoria G. (despite how good their photos are :)) actually mean, "nothing that interests me".

If only PP was integrated into the BGS from the start, instead of being in a galaxy of it's own.

Yes. If only PowerPlay had some influences on the BGS and vice versa.

I mean, if that was the case, then you'd see that the groups with the best grasp of manipulating the BGS does really well in PowerPlay, and that the groups that does the best in PowerPlay also do really well with manipulating the BGS.

And hey ... look at that. That is actually the case. Mahon has some of the best BGS manipulators, as can be seen by the sheer number of low triggers and merit values of those lowered triggers, and it is difficult to argue against them being the best at PowerPlay, as they've occupied the number one spot for about half of PowerPlay, and is the only power to have held the number one spot for more than four weeks in a row (they've done 7 weeks in a row - twice so far).

There are a lot of bugs in PowerPlay, where it's not properly manipulating the BGS (like how Mahon gets absolutely none of his passive bonuses), but it's still working with the BGS.

You being blind to it does not mean that its influence isn't there.

Greetings Commanders,

• Various background sim reliability improvements

Dropping a patchnote like that without any explanation is the kind of thing which breeds discontent among the orgs which do a lot of BGS-focused play. We want to know details about the BGS and are continually left to speculate correctly or incorrectly, then file lots of bug reports because we just don't know what is going on with a huge and compelling part of the game.

I can think of six or more issues with the BGS which could fall under that description and now have to wonder if any of those or some other thing is what actually was fixed.

Last edited:
The fixes probably wouldn't make any sense to you as they would be things like:
Ah, go away with yourself!
I do believe I wasn't talking to you , O wise master of what I know.
I would still like to see the fixes....I didnt know that you knew my technical ability regarding game design. :rolleyes:

Blowing up power play ships (because merit farming, and cuz you don't like the power because "reasons") had.....effects......on the background sim (I believe they were treated the same as authority vessels). This is no longer the case. :)

Civilians, not authority. But indeed it was disastrous for control systems when it comes to the BGS.

Dropping a patchnote like that without any explanation is the kind of thing which breeds discontent among the orgs which do a lot of BGS-focused play. We want to know details about the BGS and are continually left to speculate correctly or incorrectly, then file lots of bug reports because we just don't know what is going on with a huge and compelling part of the game.

I can think of six or more issues with the BGS which could fall under that description and now have to wonder if any of those or some other thing is what actually was fixed.
I agree with you, and would love some more information about what was fixed so we can verify.

I'm hoping at the very least it will add some stability to the influence update and to conflict resolution. Missed ticks are extremely frustrating when dealing with the daily influence caps.

Deleted member 38366

D
Hm, if I read those changes correct, can we hope to :

- see those "bugged Systems" without landable places (but populated and w/ Factions) now have at least one Planetary Base?
- see the BGS that's been stuck for days kick back into working condition?

If so, that would be good news.

-- edit --

Just logged in, seems a "nope" on the BGS. Still no changes since the last sign of life received from it on 28/01.

-- edit 2 --

Checked a bugged inhabited System - and again, no change. Just a Colony, still no place to land.

-- edit 3 --

Saw some Influence that went into effect now, so it seems at least the BGS is back alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. If only PowerPlay had some influences on the BGS and vice versa.

I mean, if that was the case, then you'd see that the groups with the best grasp of manipulating the BGS does really well in PowerPlay, and that the groups that does the best in PowerPlay also do really well with manipulating the BGS.

And hey ... look at that. That is actually the case. Mahon has some of the best BGS manipulators, as can be seen by the sheer number of low triggers and merit values of those lowered triggers, and it is difficult to argue against them being the best at PowerPlay, as they've occupied the number one spot for about half of PowerPlay, and is the only power to have held the number one spot for more than four weeks in a row (they've done 7 weeks in a row - twice so far).

There are a lot of bugs in PowerPlay, where it's not properly manipulating the BGS (like how Mahon gets absolutely none of his passive bonuses), but it's still working with the BGS.

You being blind to it does not mean that its influence isn't there.

Power Play and the BGS should interact but this particular way of interacting was more than problematic for control systems. I am all for integrating the two systems more but only if done in a way that game is balanced. this really wasn't.

As for the problem itself. This is only a small part of what is currently a much bigger issue in the game at the moment. That issue from what I have read in the patch notes has not been addressed. Time will tell how that pans out...

Last edited:
Doesn't really fix much does it? Considering the amount of stuff that is broken.
We really need a sticky that explains why you're not going to see many fixes in release maintenance branches of code.

Simplistically, Frontier have two concurrent threads of development. The first is commonly known as the trunk, and is what developers working toward the next major release (in this case, 2.1) will be working on. It's likely to be highly fluid, in that it will be changing rapidly as new features are added and bugs fixed. The second thread is the release maintenance branch -- a branch being a snapshot of the trunk taken at a particular point in time, which may then diverge -- and that's what Frontier have pushed out to us today.

If a bug is fixed on the trunk, it doesn't automatically get copied across to the release maintenance branch. Similarly, if a bug is fixed on the release maintenance branch, it doesn't automatically get copied across to the trunk. This presents a number of configuration dilemmas for the developer: do they fix on the trunk or on the branch? What's the effort required to port that fix across? How important is it that the fix is made? Generally speaking, the cost of porting a fix increases in a non-proportional manner as the trunk and branch diverge. If the underlying code has been reworked on the trunk, the bug may no longer be present, or the fix may differ between trunk and branch; in the former case, the question is whether it's worth the effort of fixing in the branch, and in the latter case, it's whether it's worth the effort to implement the fix twice. Generally speaking this means that minor issues tend to get made on trunk only, and showstoppers or seriously detrimental ones tend to be implemented in both.

As I said, that's the simplistic explanation. In reality there'll be far more than just the two threads of development, which makes it all the more complex to manage. But the bottom line is that release 2.1 will fix many of the outstanding issues, there'll be pages and pages of bugfixes, and Frontier will introduce a whole raft of new bugs because that's just the way these things work.

I'd like to see aid packages added that can be taken to exploited systems under the influence of a control system with a CC deficit that would build their wealth/development level in order to gradually build the CC value of systems. That way you can fiddle with the BGS in a meaningful way through power play and it gives people an option for responding to terrible systems foisted onto powers by 5th columnist types.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom