Release Elite Dangerous HUD Mod (EDHM)

Hi again,

I had a look at the fingertips and smudges and I see what you mean. These are the imperfections on the helmet that you can also see in your ship when looking at a bright object, such as a star. But why are they on the external camera, I don't know! (also, why are they present when the CMDR isn't wearing a helmet in the ship?)
I never saw inside the ship. IN the ship i see the "scratches" on the cockpit glass when the sunlight hits in a certain way, but that (to me) is not a problem.
Removing the glare / imperfections from the helmet is a grey area .. would removing the glare / helmet imperfections provide a competitive advantage in combat?
I've heard opinions on both sides, so I tend to err on the side of caution so that we don't annoy FDev .. as they have been very kind to allow the mod to continue.
I don't know.... my "problem" is that that smudges ruins my screenshots :), and that the only way i know to remove them is just to set off the whole lensflare option in the XML file (which will make my screenshots even worse, imo).

Ok I hopped in my SRV, started the engine, but I couldn't see a 'grey rhombus' .. I wonder could you please attach a screenshot so I understand which element you mean?
I'm away from my PC now, but let me explain:

To see it you need to have targets available (the white squares in the radar like when you're in a geological/biological signal zone). Then the gray rhombus shows up, telling you that you can target and scan/fire that object. It happens also in the ship with the wake signals around you, but in the SRV that gray is less visible.

I assume they mean the grey square box around an object that is target-able - like a meteorite or whatever.

I don't know why @Parduz is calling it a rhombus, it looks like a square to me. (When you actually target it the box changes to a pair of white chevrons <guillemets> - sometimes that doesn't appear for some reason, long-standing bug.)

I assume they mean the grey square box around an object that is target-able - like a meteorite or whatever.

I don't know why @Parduz is calling it a rhombus, it looks like a square to me. (When you actually target it the box changes to a pair of white chevrons <guillemets> - sometimes that doesn't appear for some reason, long-standing bug.)
It is a square (even though not technically that either since the sides are incomplete or open it's called an Open Square, but man we're REALLY nit-picking now), standing on it's point. Unfortunately it's becoming more and more common in casual conversation to call a 'square on it's point' a diamond, less commonly a rhombus. Most people don't know the specific geometric rules behind the names anyway.

To be fair, I haven't measured the opposing and adjacent angles, they could be 91 and 89 degrees, making it an open rhombus, but I doubt it. :D

Last edited:
It is a square (even though not technically that either since the sides are incomplete or open it's called an Open Square, but man we're REALLY nit-picking now), standing on it's point. Unfortunately it's becoming more and more common in casual conversation to call a 'square on it's point' a diamond, less commonly a rhombus. Most people don't know the specific geometric rules behind the names anyway.

To be fair, I haven't measured the opposing and adjacent angles, they could be 91 and 89 degrees, making it an open rhombus, but I doubt it. :D
I can think of two solutions.
1. Everyone must be made to take a test on their technical English before posting.
2. Add "-ish" to every thing.
Infraction is a crime: Punishable by death.

Sorry-ish, guy-ish.
I'm Italian-ish and my engl-ish is self-ish taught, i do my best-ish.

:p

(also, my last geometry lesson was in 1988)
So I see. It should be, self taught-ish. ;) Selfish taught means something else. :)
Seriously, it was just a gentle ribbing (not to you) using irony. All squares are rhombuses, but not all rhombuses are squares. So when you take 3D perspective into it, it becomes complicated. Or is that complex? :)

Am I going mad. Don’t answer.

I thought there was a setting to turn off the streaks on the cockpit windscreen. I can’t find any reference to it.

I never saw inside the ship. IN the ship i see the "scratches" on the cockpit glass when the sunlight hits in a certain way, but that (to me) is not a problem.

I don't know.... my "problem" is that that smudges ruins my screenshots :), and that the only way i know to remove them is just to set off the whole lensflare option in the XML file (which will make my screenshots even worse, imo).

I'm away from my PC now, but let me explain:

To see it you need to have targets available (the white squares in the radar like when you're in a geological/biological signal zone). Then the gray rhombus shows up, telling you that you can target and scan/fire that object. It happens also in the ship with the wake signals around you, but in the SRV that gray is less visible.

Ahh I found the rhombus .. it will forever be called a rhombus now :)

Rhombus.jpg

Yes I agree, they can be difficult to see, especially in sunlight. The reason I didn't touch them is because there are 20 versions of the grey rhombus in the shader .. and to save space (in the shader texture), FDev have put mining elements in the middle of them (subsurface and core fissure symbols).

So we can probably colour them for Odyssey but it will mean the mining symbols will also take the colour as well. Or maybe we can just make them brighter? Either way, I'll definitely try to make them easier to see in the next update

So we can probably colour them for Odyssey but it will mean the mining symbols will also take the colour as well.
I know nothing about mining symbols, so i can't say.
Or maybe we can just make them brighter?
It would be something.
I don't understand your magic, so i don't know what can be done and what not, but also making it thicker could works.

And these leads me to another question, which i had in a corner of my mind and now it pops up:
Orbit lines

It could be my monitor (which has some "big" pixels) or just my settings (i keep various AAalias settings to the minimum, 'cause the whole game looks to me like when i don't wear my myopia glasses) but that lines are "jagged" 'cause they're so thin.
I see they already have got coloring, but could you make them thicker?

Am I going mad. Don’t answer.

I thought there was a setting to turn off the streaks on the cockpit windscreen. I can’t find any reference to it.

Space madness affects us all, you're not alone :)

The streaks can be turned off in Startup-Profile.ini, near the bottom

Streaks-ini.JPG

I know nothing about mining symbols, so i can't say.

It would be something.
I don't understand your magic, so i don't know what can be done and what not, but also making it thicker could works.

And these leads me to another question, which i had in a corner of my mind and now it pops up:
Orbit lines

It could be my monitor (which has some "big" pixels) or just my settings (i keep various AAalias settings to the minimum, 'cause the whole game looks to me like when i don't wear my myopia glasses) but that lines are "jagged" 'cause they're so thin.
I see they already have got coloring, but could you make them thicker?

I find many of the thin lines in Elite look jagged until I pump up the supersampling to 1.25 or 1.5

That said, I can increase the thickness of the orbit / gravity lines, though not separately

Something like this? But you can adjust how thick you want the lines. And if they're thicker then you could turn down the brightness in Startup-Profile.ini as well

Thick-orbit-lines.jpg

OH! YESSS! PLEASE!!!!
tenor.gif

:)

I'm so sorry, I should have tested it more first. The actual texture of the lines has a sine-wave / sawtooth pattern that doesn't look very nice when it's enlarged. It looks ok around the planets, but the large orbit lines are a bit ugly, and unfortunately there's nothing I can do about that as the texture is set by the game code. I guess they use this technique for a reason and didn't expect it to be enlarged.

Thick-orbit-lines-texture.jpg

Anyways, I've attached the shader and you can experiment with the line thickness .. try 1.5, 2 etc .. remember you can always press F11 to reload your ini changes in-game.

Inside the zip file are some instructions in the Readme.txt, as you'll need to copy some code into Custom.ini so you can adjust the thickness

Sorry it's not better .. I had my hopes up as well. But I'll let you know if I come up with something else

Attachments

• EDHM Orbit Lines Thickness (beta).zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
That's great anyway! (now i will not sleep anymore trying to sort out WHY they use that patterns for lines, but this is my business :D )
Thanks a lot, i'll try your shader this night.
Really, thanks!

So having a bit of an issue with the Target Info Panel (Bottom left panel on the main HUD). In super cruise the optimal speed and distance bars are the similar colour as the rest of the bars. I'm not too sure how to go about changing the colour of the bars, but for my colour scheme, the optimal distance and speed bars should be white while the rest of the bars should be blue.

I don't suppose someojne could point me in the right direction for fixing this.

If you look closly, you can see that the optimal speed andf distance bars are a slightly lighter blue: Source: https://i.imgur.com/3nmFrce.png

Sorry it's not better .. I had my hopes up as well. But I'll let you know if I come up with something else
Well, that's good enough!
It looks good on "small circles", while the planets orbit are still jagged: seems to me that the game stretches that tiny bitmap on that big orbits.
Anyway, at least now i can clearly see what part of an orbit is on the back of a planet and what is in front.

With a lot of help from GeorjCostanza I've updated the Witchspace Lighting Effect. It's now much easier to apply only requiring an addition to the Custom.ini
Nice! thanks.

Questions:
1) do the "plugin" actively watch his files for changes, or have i to "reload" my config using F11 and then the key i assigned to mine, after i edit and save?
2) CTRL, SHIFT and ALT (both, right and left) are the only keys i can "add" to a normal key, or there's a way to assign (as example) Q+W, Q+E, A+S etc as hotkeys?

Questions:
1) do the "plugin" actively watch his files for changes, or have i to "reload" my config using F11 and then the key i assigned to mine, after i edit and save?
2) CTRL, SHIFT and ALT (both, right and left) are the only keys i can "add" to a normal key, or there's a way to assign (as example) Q+W, Q+E, A+S etc as hotkeys?
For the effect?
1) You will need to reload the mod using F11 if you edit the custom.ini while in-game.
2) It requires no new key binds.

Top Bottom