Elite Dangerous . Multiple accounts on the same Windows user account ?

Hi All,

I was thinking about buying another Elite Dangerous CMDR`s Deluxe account from Frontier to do other stuff, to compliment my Main exploring account.
I currently use ED with a Oculous, running from the oculous install dir, using the 3rd Party Partner Key from Frontier. I have Steam and ED is also installed to another different hard drive, BUT using the same ED account presently. Can i use Both accounts on the same PC if Oculous and Steam version are using different Elite accounts , while logged on with the same Windows User Account ??

Will anything get broken in the app data directory ?
Can i use 1 account with the Oculous install and the 2nd account from the Steam install. Will anything get fudged up, broken, over written ? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I have three on the same Windows profile. It isn't an issue. All use common settings so if I make a change on one account for a HOTAS control, the same change is felt on my other accounts. I have three icons on my desktop, one for each account. No confirmation emails when I boot.

All work with my Vive VR.

Edit: Should specify, I installed the accounts to three separate HD. One Steam account and two Frontier direct. You can install them to the same HD (different dirs) if you want.

Last edited:
How did you get all your different keys for each version ? DId u use the same email address ? I ask , as i just brought ED CMDR`s Deluxe Edition using my Frontier account with the same email as the Main account.
I only see 1 set of keys for Stream for the Main account.

How did you get all your different keys for each version ? DId u use the same email address ? I ask , as i just brought ED CMDR`s Deluxe Edition using my Frontier account with the same email as the Main account.

Each license needs a separate email account. You can use a single install to access any number of accounts though. Just log out of the launcher and log back in with the associated email. Don't do the "Log Out Machine" one though. If you do, you'll need to enter the confirmation code each time you do. Just a regular log out and you can enter the email to log in. (Except the first time you log in on that email on that machine. You'll need the code that one time.)

<edit> Contact support to have your other email associated with the other account. They're good at handling things like that. </edit>

Last edited:
I am also thinking of buying a second account for doing non-bubble centric stuff.

I believe from the above comments that :

1. I need to purchase this using a different email address through the frontier store.
2. I can run these from the same pc by just using a different launcher icon on my desktop so that I don't need to keep logging out and back in again to switch accounts.
3. To do this I need to install the 2nd account onto another hard drive (not a problem as I have several 4tb hard drives in my pc).
3. That the new account can be linked to steam so that I can use my Vive if I want to. Not a priority at the moment as I need to sort out mid-distance glasses first I think (so that I have same vision at both near and far range). At the moment I have reading glasses for up to a metre or so and distance vision glasses for driving. Neither are suitable for playing ED sadly, as either the distant or near objects are out of focus for me respectively. If you know of a better solution, I've love to hear it!

Q1 What happens to the journal files with this setup? Do they get added together or does a new journal log folder get created somewhere so that the two journals are separate?

Q2 I presume that a second set of netlog files are created for the new account too?

Q3 How are things like key bindings kept synced (ie use a common folder)?

If someone could provide a step by step (or link if this has already been done), it would really help!

I am also thinking of buying a second account for doing non-bubble centric stuff.

I believe from the above comments that :

1. I need to purchase this using a different email address through the frontier store.
2. I can run these from the same pc by just using a different launcher icon on my desktop so that I don't need to keep logging out and back in again to switch accounts.
3. To do this I need to install the 2nd account onto another hard drive (not a problem as I have several 4tb hard drives in my pc).
3. That the new account can be linked to steam so that I can use my Vive if I want to. Not a priority at the moment as I need to sort out mid-distance glasses first I think (so that I have same vision at both near and far range). At the moment I have reading glasses for up to a metre or so and distance vision glasses for driving. Neither are suitable for playing ED sadly, as either the distant or near objects are out of focus for me respectively. If you know of a better solution, I've love to hear it!

Q1 What happens to the journal files with this setup? Do they get added together or does a new journal log folder get created somewhere so that the two journals are separate?

Q2 I presume that a second set of netlog files are created for the new account too?

Q3 How are things like key bindings kept synced (ie use a common folder)?

If someone could provide a step by step (or link if this has already been done), it would really help!

1. Yes. First time you log in with the second you'll need to validate as normal, but after that you'll be fine as long as you don't use 'log out machine'.
2. Yes. Copy the EDlaunch exe file, and save it with a different name. Then have 2 icons on taskbar or desktop. I'll try to find the step by step that i followed.
3. Doesn't need a seperate drive as you only copy the launcher.
No idea about Vive, I just use a screen.

Q1. It generates a new journal file as normal each time you play. Things like EDD seem to be able to separate out which cmdr is which. The only issue I've had was copying a file into the wrong Inara account.
Q2. Not sure, never look at them.
Q3. The keybinds and settings stay the same as it's only the launcher that's copied. Both Cmdrs use the same core settings.

You made the same mistake I did - support should be able to help - I think I got a credit on the one and re-bought on a different email.
I still can't quite believe how complicate FDev make to have two accounts!!

I use one install folder and a .bat file to switch profile config files - so I don't have the valid email every time I want to switch.
Google it and should find the instructions for it - I did.

Dante, would you mind elaborating on how the batch file works as I'm using an SSD based machine so space is at a premium for me so I'd like to emulate that setup...

Locate your ED folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier and copy to a temporary location.
Open the folder and launch the launcher, Select options and (If not already) Log out machine.
Move the folder to it’s final location, Rename folder, open the launcher and log in as you normally would, ensure to select remember password , Verify and create a new shortcut.

To run both simultaneously, Log in one account, close the launcher and log in the other.
Play with settings to find your computers optimal running conditions.
I run 4 comfortably at 1024 x 720 windowed with the lowest setting possible.

I own a half dozen domains and can generate as many emails as necessary. If stuck, get a Gmail addy. There's Hotmail, Excite and many other free email hosts. Forward any secondary emails to your main one and you won't miss any notifications.

For second account, I copied my game dir from "Frontier" to "Frontier2" directories, copied a shortcut to the launcher from Frontier2 on my desktop and ran it from there. First time I run the launcher it takes a few secs to find everything then runs fine. Frontier3 for third acocount, etc.

Last edited:
There's a utility available somewhere called ED Account Switcher. It'll let you switch between different CMDR accounts and configure the launcher for you depending on which CMDR you want to fly with.

I've not used it for a while, but it's presumably still available. I think it autodetects what accounts you have through scanning the various ED folders on your HDD. It'll save you having multiple ED installs and all that.

Last edited:
1. Yes. First time you log in with the second you'll need to validate as normal, but after that you'll be fine as long as you don't use 'log out machine'.
2. Yes. Copy the EDlaunch exe file, and save it with a different name. Then have 2 icons on taskbar or desktop. I'll try to find the step by step that i followed.
3. Doesn't need a seperate drive as you only copy the launcher.
No idea about Vive, I just use a screen.

Q1. It generates a new journal file as normal each time you play. Things like EDD seem to be able to separate out which cmdr is which. The only issue I've had was copying a file into the wrong Inara account.
Q2. Not sure, never look at them.
Q3. The keybinds and settings stay the same as it's only the launcher that's copied. Both Cmdrs use the same core settings.

Thanks for the comments above and the video link! Reped! :cool:

I've setup a new account with a second Gmail account. I have installed this onto a different drive and have two launchers on the desktop (well actually on the task bar but anyway). I'm able to launch one account and close the launcher and then launch the second account. I have two monitors so I've just set the 2nd account to the 2nd monitor. Both run ok! They use the same hotas bindings so I was up and running really easily! I just select which screen is active with a mouse click and the hotas switches to that account.

I've used my main account to drop a Cutter load (or three) of Palladium for the 2nd account :p it's speeded things up a bit and has got me into a T6 pretty quickly. Tomorrow I should have an Asp and then I can get down to Maia for the Palin missions... Guess I'll make a few 100mil to get into a Python and then start engineering... Should have the account in a reasonable place within a week or two hopefully. I must admit the thought of unlocking all the engineers again is daunting [where is it]

Thanks again and to the other cmdrs that have contributed!

PS... It's funny being winged with yourself and seeing your two ships looking back at each other on the two monitors. :p It's all very... Portal.

Last edited:
EDDiscovery, ED Engineer with two accounts

On a side note, is it possible to run two copies of EDD (pointing at each account)? Guess it must be. I'll try using the in-app account switching option first but if that proves annoying with the app restarting with every switch, I'll try a 2nd install...

It would be nice if were could just have a number of commander slots for one account. If Frontier wanted to charge a fee for it, say a tenner per extra cmdr, then fair enough. As it stands its a bit much having to buy ED&Horizons again, plus all the cosmetics people have don't transfer..

I use the same install (which is standalone - not Steam or Oculus) for both my accounts. I simply log out and log in again as needed - you only need to verify the computer the first time you log in with an account on that machine. This also means that all my bindings and settings are shared. I have both accounts set up on two machines, so if I wanted to I could run both at once (don't know if I'll ever actually need/want to do this, though).

I bought my second account at the same time as a friend (in the recent sale). I've had great fun over the past few days in the Sidewinder with no money. :) It's been good fun just explaining how parts of the game work and flying in a wing completing missions. I've been surprised at how easy it is to make money even early game (it's a long time since I started my main account), and it won't be long before we can upgrade to Cobras.

I use the same install (which is standalone - not Steam or Oculus) for both my accounts. I simply log out and log in again as needed - you only need to verify the computer the first time you log in with an account on that machine. This also means that all my bindings and settings are shared. I have both accounts set up on two machines, so if I wanted to I could run both at once (don't know if I'll ever actually need/want to do this, though).

I bought my second account at the same time as a friend (in the recent sale). I've had great fun over the past few days in the Sidewinder with no money. :) It's been good fun just explaining how parts of the game work and flying in a wing completing missions. I've been surprised at how easy it is to make money even early game (it's a long time since I started my main account), and it won't be long before we can upgrade to Cobras.

Smile! Glad to hear that it's working out for you.

Btw, my new alt account that I purchased at the weekend (5 days ago) is up to 920 million and should break the billion mark by this evening, along with Elite in trade. It doesn't take long to get a second account up and running.

Dante, would you mind elaborating on how the batch file works as I'm using an SSD based machine so space is at a premium for me so I'd like to emulate that setup...

I logged in as account one and then copied the user.config file to user.config.1
I then logged in as account two and copied that user.config file to user.config.2
then I have this batch file with a shortcut on my desktop - it basically just swaps between the two config files.

Code:
[FONT=monospace]@Echo off
@Echo 1. Primary Account
@Echo 2. Secondary Account
choice /c12/M"Please Select CMDR"

set EDSTEAMID=359320
set EDL=EDLaunch.exe_Url_bbwukwyw0sbj2e0slpcgwguqpue520e2
set EDLVER=0.4.6324.0

if "%errorlevel%"=="1"copy"%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier_Developments\user.config.1""%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier_Developments\%EDL%\%EDLVER%\user.config"
if "%errorlevel%"=="2"copy"%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier_Developments\user.config.2""%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier_Developments\%EDL%\%EDLVER%\user.config"

Start steam://rungameid/%EDSTEAMID%
[/FONT]

NOTE: The variable values maybe different for you and they do change with a major update of the game - so you have to edit the batch file to set the new values.

Why someone at FDev can't spend a day or two to make the launcher handle multiple accounts is beyond me - it certainly seems like lots of people have them!

Last edited:
Apologies for the necro... [o7 from 3306!]

But... I have questions that seem to have been overlooked:

A) Is the file for the 'visited systems' filter still stored locally and if so, how do I back it up for the next PC?
B) Thanks for the reassurance the keybinds are the same but Is this 'visited' file shared by all accounts?

I forget when that was added but it's a huge time saver when your OCD insists on scanning every potato.

Top Bottom