ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
They funded the game initially with thousands of kickstarter donations.

At this moment, it would probably have been difficult to say "In addition to donations, you will have to pay a subscription"

This may be one of the reasons.

And then for years, they see on the forums that the vast majority of Cmdrs is against the subscriptions.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

It's why it should have been part of the initial plans.

Oh I agree completely. I only found out about a lot of that after I started playing and I started around the time Horizons was coming out. But yeah, they fell into trap that all us developers do. Our eyes are bigger than our stomachs. They promised the world and couldn't deliver and didn't have a fall back. A subscription plan would have..to some degree saved that, but they were trying to produce this game like any other single player or match making FPS game.
But what's wrong is they continue to ignore the community, even when they could with minimal effort at least meet the most basic expectations.

For Frontier Developments, Elite Dangerous is not a commercial product, but their 'pet', which they continue to force feed from the public trough.

With all that being said, I like the direction and it was were I was hoping they were going, but I am skeptical of the long term outcome.

Yes and for the anecdote, below a question / answer during the kickstarter.

Abonnement.jpg

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

I was just thinking, even if I couldn't get out of my ship in VR just yet, I should be able to say drop off a bunch of players for combat right? So I can still participate in some capacity. Also, are we ever going to be able to just be a person in the game world with the ability to just pay for travel either from NPC or real pilots...just spit balling here. And I know it's supposed to be a space sim at it's heart, but it's also supposed to be an MMO with a vast persistent world. And it's not like this can't be done.

Last edited:
FDev could, and should, add a subscription DLC for the game, focused on multiplayer.

However, that's no excuse for what is happening now, because the requirements to do such things as simply allow VR rendering from a mouse/keyboard is trivial.

Ahh well then...they sealed their own coffin from the start it seems to me.
It was difficult to tell donors "Give money and after then you will have to pay to play every month".

They preferred to find other sources of funding.

You can also see that they abandoned the idea of buying CR with real money.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

It was difficult to tell donors "Give money and after then you will have to pay to play every month".

Yeah, I find that odd because I would have been fine with it and expected it as I expect anything calling itself an MMO to have a subscription for many obvious reasons, but this game was being pitched at a time when most people didn't understand why you would do that so I'm sure that was part of it. It's kind of too late now though I suppose. Even with a sub-base MMO you always bought the game up-front...they could have of course given everyone who donated a life-time sub or at least offered it as part of most of the donation levels.

I disagree. The reason ED wasn't gonna need monthly subs was because it was not meant to be an MMO in the usual sense of the word. The fact that since launch it has moved more and more towards one despite the foundations of the game not really being made for it is imo the problem
Imo ED is a pretty poor MMO. Pretty good VR space game with MP option tho.... Or it was at least.

I don't do subs games so they would have lost my money at any rate. Plenty of game even F2P ones show you don't need subs. Just look at war frame

I disagree. The reason ED wasn't gonna need monthly subs was because it was not meant to be an MMO in the usual sense of the word. The fact that since launch it has moved more and more towards one despite the foundations of the game not really being made for it is imo the problem
Imo ED is a pretty poor MMO. Pretty good VR space game with MP option tho.... Or it was at least.

I agree with this and yes, the MMO aspect of it is not very well done on many levels. They should stop pitching it as one.

Finally their finances are flourishing and they easily finance a multitude of games currently.

I don't think they have a lack of money. :)

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

They don't, but I'm pretty sure ED is also not self-sustaining which is what an MMO strives to be. Even the F2P MMOs are generally backed by other paid MMOs from the same developer/publisher or other means that actually make them enough money. The problem with FDev having to produce more games to get money for ED is they spread their dev resources thin which is why we don't see many updates like you normally would with a healthy MMO or even a healthy non-MMO.

Yeah, I find that odd because I would have been fine with it and expected it as I expect anything calling itself an MMO to have a subscription for many obvious reasons, but this game was being pitched at a time when most people didn't understand why you would do that so I'm sure that was part of it. It's kind of too late now though I suppose. Even with a sub-base MMO you always bought the game up-front...they could have of course given everyone who donated a life-time sub or at least offered it as part of most of the donation levels.
Yes, the donors could have been exempted from paying a subscription. But not the new arrivals.

But for years there have been threads on the forum on this subject of subscription.

And we can say that 95% of Cmdrs are against. And would be ready to go to Cambridge to set fire to the building. :D

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Yes, the donors could have been exempted from paying a subscription. But not the new arrivals.

But for years there have been threads on the forum on this subject of subscription.

And we can say that 95% of Cmdrs are against. And would be ready to go to Cambridge to set fire to the building. :D

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Honestly, they should survey all the players and get some real numbers. They of course would have to state what they would actually strive for and provide to subscribers in the event they offered a subscription plan. Because they could go to a fremium model which has worked really well for many MMOs in the past. But who knows...people about paid expansions, and I totally have no problems with and expect from a game like this....

I mean, EverQuest is still running with subs and paid expansions.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom