ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Idk what £ equals in usd but on ps store in USA its $30 for base + $30 for horizon $60 for base +horizon bundle when its not on sale

I don't have a PS4 so I cannot comment on their prices, but they seem to be a little dearer than frontier direct, and steam.

1 GBP (£) is roughly 1.27 USD ($) just now, and on the frontier webstore Base game is £20 / ~$25, so is horizons, and commander deluxe edition (Base + Horizons + some paints) is £40/$50. At launch of horizons it was £60/$75 for Base (£20/$25) & Horizons (£40/$50)

I guess sony needs to make their share of the sale, right?
I guess they do, but I think they are having their cake and eating it by charging you guys a subscription to get on line and access services, and charging publishers a transaction fee for putting their game on the PS webstore. It's one of the reasons I stick to PC gaming, we don't get milked as much as consoles do. Like an entry level gaming PC costs roughly the same as a newly released console, but we don't have to subscribe to PSN or XBL to chat to our friends or play online etc... So over time the savings on not paying subscriptions pays for the hardware upgrades to keep the PC current(ish).

But PC hardware, if you go "Full Mongo" on the top of the line components does run into thousands, but you can still have a gaming experience as good as or slightly better than a console's gaming experience*, on more sensibly priced entry level gaming pc's.

*Faster loading times, better graphics, higher framerates = smoother gameplay

Last edited:
I guess they do, but I think they are having their cake and eating it by charging you guys a subscription to get on line and access services, and charging publishers a transaction fee for putting their game on the PS webstore. It's one of the reasons I stick to PC gaming, we don't get milked as much as consoles do. Like an entry level gaming PC costs roughly the same as a newly released console, but we don't have to subscribe to PSN or XBL to chat to our friends or play online etc... So over time the savings on not paying subscriptions pays for the hardware upgrades to keep the PC current(ish).

But PC hardware, if you go "Full Mongo" on the top of the line components does run into thousands, but you can still have a gaming experience as good as or slightly better than a console's gaming experience*, on more sensibly priced entry level gaming pc's.

I feel like im paying for a lesser chance of people using hacks/cheats/mods to gain an advantage

So for PS4, is that like paying upkeep when not logged on? Heh heh

On the flipside, Braben did greenlight Oolite to use the Elite lore, but not the name, and the lore is the biggest part of the IP, so maybe, just maybe, when frontier fail the coffin on E;D we might get Oolite Dangerous?
I didn't know that. Okay, I'll bump him up a notch in my book. I would definitely support a modern Oolite based on ED (using ED graphics, of course) :D

I found the legal battles with Bell/Braben distasteful, but it was Bell who sued Braben, however I can understand and empathise with Bell's point of view. On the flipside, Braben did greenlight Oolite to use the Elite lore, but not the name, and the lore is the biggest part of the IP, so maybe, just maybe, when frontier fail the coffin on E;D we might get Oolite Dangerous?
I think you’ve got your history slightly muddy there, Braben sued Bell over comments made in an interview:

Edit: the interview in question -

Last edited:
Just to add to this, VR will still be compatible with the base game and Horizons!

@Tim Smith

I think for die-hard VR users, who will not play Elite Dangerous without VR, the most important question is, "will FDEV commit to Odyssey being VR compatible and, if not at lauch, when?".

I will only speak for myself, but other VR users may feel free to chime in, I will NOT buy the Odyssey DLC until it is FULLY VR compatible in ALL modes of game play.

FDEV has the opportunity to garner some good will by not stone-walling the VR community on this important (to us) issue and responding expediently.

Thank you.

Edit:
Signed the petition.
#novrnobuy

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom