ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
There are no seperate servers for VR user and there is no reason to have it removed from the base game or horizons.
When everyone except VR users have moved to Odessey VR users will end up being the only users left on horizons, cause we have no choice. Then they will say we can't justify the costs of keeping those servers running.

Wait - I'm getting the impression New Era is more about war game play than I originally assumed. It's not my interest, though I may very well be a minor opinion based on the feedback. I thought the emphasis was going to be toward expansion of atmospheric planet landing, building land bases, walking on land and ships... At least (based on the blue sky) I am guessing the planet may have been a high metal world with atmosphere.

Last edited:
When everyone except VR users have moved to Odessey VR users will end up being the only users left on horizons, cause we have no choice. Then they will say we can't justify the costs of keeping those servers running.
You're talking to a VR user.

Again, what servers are you talking about. They shut down the servers and nobody can play. There are no seperate servers for the base game, horizons etc.

Why would they remove the code? As to maintaining it, it's not like it needs being fed. It's already in there and it works mostly fine, there is no reason for Fdev to remove it from the base game or horizons.
Yeh I think the code will sit there and stagnate but the infrastructure is an ongoing expense and those resources could well end up supporting Odessey and VR in elite will end. Unless they add it to Odessey, come on FD give us some reassurance.

Aaaactually I am not aware of any "separate servers" for Horizons, that frankly makes no sense programming-wise. Horizons is simply gated by "planetary landing macguffin" that is unavailable to non-horizons owners. Some ships I heard are only sold on planetary bases, so non-horizons owners are excluded from that too.

Old code branches do not rot by themselves if they aren't updated, so... it will be an undead state. The only thing that could "endanger" an old code branch is a mandatory security update somewhere else in the system or code that breaks something in the old code and needs to be tended to.

You're talking to a VR user.

Again, what servers are you talking about. They shut down the servers and nobody can play. There are no seperate servers for the base game, horizons etc.
Clearly there will be separate infrastructure for horizons and Odessey. The same way there are different servers for beta testing.

Clearly there will be separate infrastructure for horizons and Odessey.
This is a baseless assumption in my opinion. The code I speak of is your game client which talks to servers over network. As long as the network protocol between the clients and the server remains compatible (so the new server understands the old horizon folk talking to him and responds in ancient tongues ;-) ) all is well and we will be able to play.

Being left on an old code branch however usually means that any updates to the current client will be impossible to trickle down to us. Usually because it would require too much effort (high costs). I wonder how drastic will this be, I am thinking of something like current earth-likes, exclusion zone and buh-bye.

that would be simply dumb as it would contradict the whole concept of ED - and finally would mess up BGS and PP (if even can be messed up more).
If that would be the line of developement, They would have put out a new game, not a DLC - stay logic...
Then why different servers for beta if it's so closely linked. Why drop vr in the whole of Odessey if it's so closely linked.

Clearly there will be separate infrastructure for horizons and Odessey. The same way there are different servers for beta testing.
Nope. That's not how the game works.

Beta testing is very different.

The game works over P2P not a client server basis. There are servers, but they supply missions and other such things. No matter whether you're busing VR or not, you are using the same servers as everybody else.

Odyssey may have another mission system, but it's likely the current one will remain as well. The main game isn't going to disappear and neither is horizons, therefore there is no reason to remove VR from those two parts of the game.

If there are no upgrades in the VR code, it will die (obsolete). Mainly for code in perpetual evolution, like ED. Just a question of time.
But yes, you're right, it's just speculation. We need a clear announcement.
Yes about VR.
Also clarification about PC as that isn't mentioned on the announcement, only consoles and steam.
And much else.

But I am trying to keep in mind that this seems to have been a premature announcement and there is half to three quarters of a year before Odyssey launches so there is plenty of time.

Nope. That's not how the game works.

Beta testing is very different.

The game works over P2P not a client server basis. There are servers, but they supply missions and other such things. No matter whether you're busing VR or not, you are using the same servers as everybody else.

Odyssey may have another mission system, but it's likely the current one will remain as well. The main game isn't going to disappear and neither is horizons, therefore there is no reason to remove VR from those two parts of the game.
We shall see, I predict horizons will be dropped in the future when next to nobody is playing it, apart from VR users that is.

Then why different servers for beta if it's so closely linked. Why drop vr in the whole of Odessey if it's so closely linked.
You're mixing things up here so let's take it apart one by one:
  1. Beta servers are put up so that beta code and player actions do not affect the live game and live servers. That's why "what happens in the beta stays in the beta". They're separate infrastructure and your commander is a snapshot of your live game, a save if you will.
  2. VR is a method of rendering and doesn't affect the live game at all, only your client. Why they took it away IDK, I'm blaming Braben's stance on VR which changed from enthusiastic to "it's a family incompatible and divisive experience" or something like that. Or they cannot do FPS mode right. IDK. Anyhow, it has nothing to do with any server, in fact I would love network speeds to be so advanced to provide wireless VR ;-)

Betas aren't closely linked they are an entirely separate copy which is why nothing that happens in them affects the main game.

Well, the VR-only players simply don't care about Odyssey's features, since they don't intend to play it without VR support. There's no other info from FDev, so arguing with the trolls is all we can do while waiting for FDev to pull their heads out of their behinds.
Oh it's done in the usual FDev fashion, drop the bomb before weekend and scurry away hopping the poop storm will pass until Monday.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom