Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Questions and Answers

Two and a half years after the infamous Sammarco Proposal. Well, I should be used to this, but it still kinda let you down.

Indeed. It will be six years next June since Powerplay was introduced too. FD love Powerplay so much its not in the pilots manual (despite it being a feature needing the most explanation), will most likely still have the same five year old portraits (while everyone can walk up and look at faction leaders / reps), no new gameplay added over that time and FD snub the power groups (even though they've been going for 289 weeks, with none of their achievements being worthy enough to even recognize).

Progress was FD removing a redundant UI element which took two years....at this rate we will see change when Halleys Comet comes back (if they put comets in the game that is).

Indeed. It will be six years next June since Powerplay was introduced too. FD love Powerplay so much its not in the pilots manual (despite it being a feature needing the most explanation), will most likely still have the same five year old portraits (while everyone can walk up and look at faction leaders / reps), no new gameplay added over that time and FD snub the power groups (even though they've been going for 289 weeks, with none of their achievements being worthy enough to even recognize).

Progress was FD removing a redundant UI element which took two years....at this rate we will see change when Halleys Comet comes back (if they put comets in the game that is).
What buggers me the most is that there's plenty of people that literally creates game content organizing activities where fdev don't even give us the decency of letting us know that we're not considered not a priority, but even considered at all.

Will a CMDR be able to get up from thier seat and walk to the airlock? (Understand the rest of the ship will not be there at launch)

What buggers me the most is that there's plenty of people that literally creates game content organizing activities where fdev don't even give us the decency of letting us know that we're not considered not a priority, but even considered at all.

Yep. Unless you are a Fuel Rat, you are invisible. Its what triggered my with the 'The Story So Far'- what about Powerplay and the struggles the powers have had? The Pegasi War? Utopia being 100% flipped? ZYADA? The week Mahon fell over? Only FD could create a feature that encourages groups and rivalry to then promptly ignore them, along with the feature itself. It makes me wonder how long Odyssey features will last, and the value of bolting on yet more things.

Yep. Unless you are a Fuel Rat, you are invisible. Its what triggered my with the 'The Story So Far'- what about Powerplay and the struggles the powers have had? The Pegasi War? Utopia being 100% flipped? ZYADA? The week Mahon fell over? Only FD could create a feature that encourages groups and rivalry to then promptly ignore them, along with the feature itself. It makes me wonder how long Odyssey features will last, and the value of bolting on yet more things.
And yet here we are, scheming and organizing despite everything. We truly are the middle-child for FDev.

29. Can we do spacewalks in Odyssey?

30. Can we land on faction-owned installations, and walk around and do activities?

And yet here we are, scheming and organizing despite everything. We truly are the middle-child for FDev.

What makes me chuckle in my salty brine right now is that The Story So Far mentions the Rise to Power (with Grom being popped in the game). But...what happened to the groups who put him there? Oh yes- they abandoned Powerplay :D

What makes me chuckle in my salty brine right now is that The Story So Far mentions the Rise to Power (with Grom being popped in the game). But...what happened to the groups who put him there? Oh yes- they abandoned Powerplay :D
That is how much fdev considers not the player content but the content they propose to player and the time these players invest in it.

Well at least combat will be optional, although I suspect given the low life dives I wish to hang out in looking missions that will get me into trouble, I'm sure someone will come through the door with a gun going "Smith... where are those drugs you were supposed to have delivered to Sol?"

Bill

<<faster with his wit than with his shooting ;)

I've not read or heard anything so far that has made me feel excited about EDO, it's like a token attempt at on-foot gameplay. I've got a LTE pass so I don't have to weigh the price v content to decide if it's worth it, others do have to make that decision and I hope FD do give us something exciting.

Any plans to introduce improved anti aliasing in Odyssey?
We are not changing this engine, we are however looking at any issues and fixing them ready for launch.

I'm a little confused by this answer. Cobra supports TAA in Jurrasic World. This option is missing in Elite. If it's something that can be enabled in ED's branch of Cobra that'd be a great addition to a lovely looking game. Letterbox shimmer be gone!

I'm a little confused by this answer. Cobra supports TAA in Jurrasic World. This option is missing in Elite. If it's something that can be enabled in ED's branch of Cobra that'd be a great addition to a lovely looking game. Letterbox shimmer be gone!

I assume "this engine" either means the antialiasing engine, or the particular branch of the Cobra engine that Elite currently runs on. Yeah, I agree, it would definitely be nice!

I've not read or heard anything so far that has made me feel excited about EDO, it's like a token attempt at on-foot gameplay.

I haven't been enticed yet either.

Yes Odyssey looks great graphically, Frontier's art & sound teams always do outstanding work. However, it's the Odyssey gameplay (or lack thereof) which has me disinterested so far. It all seems very combat oriented.

Based on the info we've seen so far Odyssey will bring foot combat gameplay while allowing us to sight see planets on foot, and that's all we know so far. No ship interiors, no base building, no surface mining, no HUD colors, new ships are an unknown, new SRV's are not confirmed, spacewalks are still up in the air, no known improvements to the FSS for exploration, no AA improvements.

I'm hoping there is much, much more to the expansion than we've been told so far.

One big question - When I blow up in a ship, I get automatically packed in an escape pod, ejected, picked up and brought to a station to solve the rebuy.

What if I get shot to pieces though?
Your cells get automatically packed in an escape cell. If enough parts of your body collected, then your relatives can make them whole.

1. Any plans to introduce improved anti aliasing in Odyssey?
    We are not changing this engine, we are however looking at any issues and fixing them ready for launch.

Vague answers. The issue is the bad anti-aliasing (or lack thereof) that makes the game look outdated.

Obviously Frontier believe it will work with Odyssey, else they would be introducing Pay2Play on launch and causing the forum to meltdown with such news. (and doubtless losing an unguessable number of existing players who have no desire to pay for something that was previously free!)
Whether it does perform any better than today is something we will all find out on release, but as it is p2p it will still depend on the instance one is in, I'd guess.

They cause us to meltdown constantly regardless. Haven't you been following their "exciting" updates since launch? They blunder constantly. P2P if it's no different than what we have now will be a disaster.

Top Bottom