Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | Thargoid 'Crash To Desktop' Issue

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Greetings Commanders o7

I've got my Serious Voice on for this one. Apologies in advance o7

As many of you may be aware, we rolled out update 8.01 earlier today for Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

Within it we made, what checked out as being, a verified fix for the following issue:
  • A fix has been implemented to address a crash that could occur during a Thargoid encounter.
Unfortunately, as many of you have reported across the day - there were more instances discovered of how this crash could occur than we first thought.

Thanks to your detailed and constructive reports, we're looking to bolster the initial fix this evening, so as to end this crash FOR GOOD as part of a new update: 8.02.

This update will only affect Odyssey players and will require you to upgrade your game client.

ETA OF FIX: 18:40 BST (17:40 UTC)

THERE WILL BE NO SERVER DOWNTIME: The next time you relog AFTER approximately 18:40 BST (17:40 UTC), an upgrade of the game will be available for you to implement the fix o7

The fix is, at the moment, heading in to our test phase within the next half an hour, with respectfully another hour or so left following that for checks and deployment set up.

To that end, we want to get this rolled out as soon as possible for you all, due to how close to the weekend we're getting.

I'll be around to issue the deployment time when I have it.
(Unconventional, I know, but let's go with it).

o7 Commanders.
Thanks for your understanding and patience on this current situation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response to both issues! Much appreciated!
I really enjoy your comments/responses to all these things. It's such a great counter to all the "doomsayers" and adds some fun back to reading the forum! Thanks again.
Regards

Greetings Commanders o7

I've got my Serious Voice on for this one. Apologies in advance o7

As many of you may be aware, we rolled out update 8.01 earlier today for Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

Within it we made, what checked out as being, a verified fix for the following issue:
  • A fix has been implemented to address a crash that could occur during a Thargoid encounter.
Unfortunately, as many of you have reported across the day - there were more instances discovered of how this crash could occur than we first thought.

Thanks to your detailed and constructive reports, we're looking to bolster the initial fix this evening, so as to end this crash FOR GOOD as part of a new update: 8.02.

This update will only affect Odyssey players and will require you to upgrade your game client.

Odyssey only game servers will be offline for a short period of time to accomodate this fix.

ETA OF FIX: CURRENTLY TBD THIS EVENING

The fix is, at the moment, heading in to our test phase within the next half an hour, with respectfully another hour or so left following that for checks and deployment set up.

To that end, we want to get this rolled out as soon as possible for you all, due to how close to the weekend we're getting.

This will mean that we don't have the usual '1 Hour Until Deployment' luxury heads up like we usually do.
For this, I'm really sorry.

It could be more like a 15 to 30 minutes til downtime warning.

I'll be around to issue that warning as soon as I have it.
(Unconventional, I know, but let's go with it).

o7 Commanders.
Thanks for your understanding and patience on this current situation.
15-to-30 min is plenty. o7

Is there any information on other crashes, on Galaxy Map for example? Also Engine trails infornt of ship when dropping from SC and also when dropping from SC ship goes into glide mode for several seconds......

sallymorganmoore

Is there any information on other crashes, on Galaxy Map for example? Also Engine trails infornt of ship when dropping from SC and also when dropping from SC ship goes into glide mode for several seconds......
Aww please, Commander, not quite at this time hehe o7
I'm very very focused on coordinating this fix with the team but as soon as I can (potentially next week) I'll see if I can update.
Big big big o7

Update 8 is even worse than 7!! Settlement NPCs stuttering and acting like zombies. Anti-aliasing horrible, worse than up7! And the damn performance! I'm SICK of this!
I pay for this "release". Give my money back or get competent approach and FIX THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Friday night deploy :eek: 🤞

good luck airplane.gif

sallymorganmoore

Update 8 is even worse than 7!! Settlement NPCs stuttering and acting like zombies. Anti-aliasing horrible, worse than up7! And the damn performance! I'm SICK of this!
I pay for this "release". Give my money back or get competent approach and FIX THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL.

So I can see you're furious, I can sympathise, but this is currently a thread for crashing Thargoids and I'm going to 100% focus on getting that fixed right now.
If you go ahead and funnel your thoughts into this page https://customersupport.frontier.co.uk/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000795960 someone will get back to you.
Thanks.

Top Bottom