Elite: Dangerous Odyssey: Update 11 Notes (FANTASY WISHLIST)

Fleet Carriers
  • Fleet Carrier owners can now store personal equipment and ship engineering materials on their Fleet Carrier and buy/sell them on their commodities market.
  • Fleet Carrier sell orders can now have the limit on how much of the stock the carrier owner is willing to allow to be sold. No more "All or Nothing" sell orders!
  • Players can now access their Odyssey material inventories from fleet carriers and drop items on the floor in the carrier to facilitate material trades without visiting planetary surfaces.
  • Players can land on private FCs in unauthorized access mode. FC owner can set separately fuel prices for unauthorized access, enable/disable ammo restock, repair and other services and access to FC concourse.

You can't have incapacitated enemies with PEGI 16, so that one's out.

wait what? is this what the devs have said is the reason I have to murder hobo may way across the galaxy to get my mods?

like the stun gun is right there, the mechanic is there, why are they counting it as a killlll

blah

Character
  • Players can now enter a "low ready" stance with drawn weapons, pointing it towards the ground. Default binding set to holding the stow weapon key. So like you can have your weapon out and not be constantly pointing it at your friends.
  • Suit customization now features a backpack slot so you can select from all backpacks available for your selected suit.
  • Odyssey suits now have the option to use choose between black opaque and translucent visors on all helmets.
  • A binding has been added to toggle the suit helmet between deployed and retracted states. You can now make a point of only showing your true friends your pretty clown faces.
  • Weapon and engine color customization can now be applied to personal equipment weapons and jetpacks respectively.
  • The "tool" hotkey in the Dominator suit now directly selects the second primary weapon. The primary weapon key no longer cycles through primary weapons as separate weapon cycling commands already exist.
  • Players and NPC's can now replenish each others suit power by using the energy link on each other.
  • Players who are killed will now be incapacitated. Other players may consume a medkit to revive incapacitated players. The incapacitated player will see the name of who incapacitated them and when being revived, the name of the person offering to revive them if applicable.
  • Incapacitated players and NPC's will remain alive and incapacitated until they either choose to repsawn or they suits oxygen supply depletes. A reason other than fires to purge a buildings oxygen?!
  • Players and NPC's can now have their assets, goods, data and consumables inventories looted upon death or incapacitation.
  • Players and NPC's can now have any remaining battery power stored in their suits siphoned with the energy link after death or incapacitation. It's not an execution if they suffocate due to suit failure, right?
  • Players and NPC's struck with the Energy Link overload effect will now be incapacitated instead of killed.
  • Incapacitated NPC's can be picked up and moved at walking speed. Sneaky sneaky.
  • Crouching while sprinting will now engage a slide. Length of the slide is dependent on the friction resulting from gravity. Higher gravity, shorter slide.
  • Crouching while airborn will now also apply jetpack thrust downward. For that extra bit of control on Low-G bodies!
  • Enabling suit shield should automatically put helmet on (Toggle shield hold could be used to put helmet off).
  • Players can now collect one (2+ if upgraded capacity) ship upgrade material from the ground.
  • New hazard suit added with ability to carry single commodity container, escape pod or fuel barrel and special abilities (resist fire, extinguish if needed, gate breaking), equipped with only one secondary weapon (no primary) and armor resistant to explosive damage.

wait what? is this what the devs have said is the reason I have to murder hobo may way across the galaxy to get my mods?

like the stun gun is right there, the mechanic is there, why are they counting it as a killlll

blah

The wonderful thing about the internet is how easy it is to research ... stuff.

1645642209918.png

If you stun an NPC, and can then shoot or blow up their inert form, that's PEGI 18.

Theres a lot of great stuff here and some that doesn't make sense and/or is OP. I'm going to reply to the one's mainly that are problematic, or need further clarification (to me at least), but don't take that as me being negative. If I've skipped over it, at the the very least I like it. Lastly, there's much beyond the scope of Update 11-20, but I'm not bothered by that.

Character
  • Weapon and engine color customization can now be applied to personal equipment weapons and jetpacks respectively.
How could FDev have missed this opportunity?
  • Players who are killed will now be incapacitated. Other players may consume a medkit to revive incapacitated players. The incapacitated player will see the name of who incapacitated them and when being revived, the name of the person offering to revive them if applicable.
  • Incapacitated players and NPC's will remain alive and incapacitated until they either choose to repsawn or they suits oxygen supply depletes. A reason other than fires to purge a buildings oxygen?!
Very Fortnite like and while I like these ideas, unless I'm reading it wrong, the implication is that the player would have to be then finished off execution style or left to suffocate, which is a little bit too severe and maybe restrictive in a lot of situations. Maybe a threshold with incapacitation being a stage towards death would be good with, say, a headshot just outright killing but other types of damage after a certain range but before death could be incapacitation with the ability to revive with own health pack, or that used by another player or NPC - adding a medic emote might be good here too.

• Players and NPC's struck with the Energy Link overload effect will now be incapacitated instead of killed.
  • Incapacitated NPC's can be picked up and moved at walking speed. Sneaky sneaky.
These two tie well together, maybe keep the charge option as incapacitate with the overcharge being a kill.
Ships & Ship Equipment
  • Ships landed on the surface and powered down will not be detectable without line of sight in addition to being significantly harder to resolve even a partial contact. Time to hide your ship and sneak around with SRV's/Fighters. Mhm!
This sort of contradicts the abilities of the sensor equipment to detect random debris which would also be not powered on. I think a beacon should persist while in srv or onfoot, losing your ship on a barren featureless planet/moon I don't think will be taken well. Plus respawning in ship parked would negate any searching requirement, just suicide and you're back in your ship.

Surface Recon Vehicles
  • SRV's now have full range vertical thrust. This enables downward thrust to create additional traction on low-g or otherwise slippery terrain and the ability to drop altitude faster.
I would also like to see the ability to use the thrusters for a yaw maneuver. Would add extra control when things have gotten a little too crazy and you have time to fix it to land forwards (or backwards) rather than on the side.

Also some dance moves.

Settlements (Odyssey)
  • "Friendly" reputation with a faction grants +1 clearance level by default at their settlements.
  • "Allied" reputation with a faction grants an additional +1 clearance level by default at their settlements.
  • Being a member of a squadron that has pledged allegiance to a faction gives you +1 clearance at that factions settlements.
  • Being a member of a squadron that has pledged allegiance to a faction and allied with that faction grants you a total of +3 security clearance by default, access to restricted areas, permission to take any items, permission to toggle any facility feature, permission to fire weapons un-harassed.
I like it but seems a bit complicated and I don't think some +1s should stack. I also think going to a settlement and taking full control is ok either. Having unrestricted access is ok and having dialog trees with NPCs to initiate some actions given good reason and possibility of denial would be better, it would also open the avenue for bribery.
Also, I can't see the justification for being able to take all items carte blanche with no question either.

• The above changes act as a foundation for later making it so that the equipment at settlements can be used in combination with docked ship cargo to produce engineering materials for personal and ship equipment using both normal and rare commodities. The original commodities added for engineering (that are now defunct-ish) will be used in conjunction with standard and rare commodities for recipes. This will provide a peaceful non-violent method to obtain engineering materials with Odyssey.
I like the idea of settlements providing a route to crafting/manufacturing but it has to be at a cost and with interaction as I outline above.

• Overloaded settlement features (doors, turrets, etc) can be brought back online by repairing their charge port with a circuit board, electrical fuse and electrical wiring and then charging the port with the energy link to bring that base feature back online.
I especially like this and the repair suggestion below too. It would also be great to be able to switch lights on and off in rooms as well with intrusion of privacy being a thing.

Settlements (Horizons)
  • Frontline Solutions ground combat zones are now present in Horizons settlements. Horizons settlements will now transfer ownership using the same method as Odyssey settlements during war time for easier manipulation of who owns these facilities.
  • All SRV intractable Horizons base assets now have Odyssey panels where components can be stolen from and charge ports that can be overloaded or repaired to enable/disable them.
  • SRV Scannable data terminals on Horizons settlements/assets can now be scanned with the Profile Analyzer.
Obviously you mean only for Odyssey players. Some would disagree as it would put Horizons players at a potential disadvantage but then I think the better argument is that it would give Horizons players more impetus to upgrade.
Multicrew/Teams
  • Engineering materials picked up with the ships cargo scoop or data retrieved with the ship scanner and now duplicated to all physical multicrew team mates currently onboard the ship. Because collecting engineering materials should be a team activity!
That's too OP in my mind, just give us the ability to trade all materials with each other.

Engineering
  • Anytime data would be granted to a player that their storage is maxed out on, that data will be replaced with an equal or lesser grade of data they are not at capacity in storage for.
Again, OP and inconsistent with the idea that you actually have a thing in your possession that just can't be magically turned into something else.
Crime & Punishment
  • Ships with "report crimes" turned off in lawful space will now be marked "LAWLESS" unless they are "WANTED" or "WARRANT" is displayed.
Disagree, report crimes means just that, it doesn't change the legal status of the system.

• A third option for "report crimes" has been added to report crimes without summoning system authority. Players with this mode enabled will be marked as "LAWFUL" in lawful space unless they are "WANTED" or have a "WARRANT" state applied. Lawful PvP'ers rejoice while openly flagging for PvP without NPC interference!
Why not just meet in an Anarchy system?

• All PVP kills resulting in a bounty now have the bounty duplicated with the Pilots Federation and reduce the criminals reputation with the Pilots Federation. Reputation loss from killing players increases the greater disparity in combat rank and engineering between the victim and aggressor. Bounties issued by the Pilots Federation can not be paid off, only claimed. This effect is significantly diminished for on foot pvp.
Not sure what this is meant to achieve.
  • No reputation loss or bounty will be applied with the Pilots Federation for criminals who kill players who have marked themselves as "LAWFUL". Local bounties with BGS factions will still apply. Consensual PvP shouldn't be punished!
  • Being Hostile with the Pilots Federation now completely prevents notoriety decay and prevents the player from logging into Solo or Private Group game modes. No more hiding from the social consequences of your actions while recovering from your criminal activity! (For those concerned, earning bonds with the Pilots Federation and turning them in anywhere can rep you back up. AX Combat Bonds from interceptors make this process recoverable in a reasonable time frame.)
I guess this ties into the above? I think it may be overcomplicated but I agree that maybe having a bounty should preclude you from operating in Private or Solo. I have some thoughts about the game modes myself that I've yet to get to the point of posting, but this would tie into it.

All in all, like I say, mostly good to great suggestions. o7

I think this post highlights how different every bodies wish lists are. As an explorer outside the bubble, most of these items wouldn't be on my list at all.

This is why we can't have nice things any more. Oh, well. Carry on.
o7
We can't have nice things any more because the core design ethos of ED/EDO is built around time-wasting busy work grind mechanics in order to juice user engagement metrics for investors. The concept of fun doesn't enter into it. Blame FDev, not me.

Along with the wasted potential...
Well, it can be seen that the potential to not leave a neutral/positive comment without a negative comeback is certainly rarely wasted here. However, the potential of Elite is only wasted if left unfulfilled and as the game is still in development all remaining potential is still yet to be fulfilled, though if development were to stop because 'elite is dying/dead', then I guess that would also prove you right, if such a thing in this case is that important to you, being proved right that is.

As for development priorities and speed, they are all a matter of conjecture as to the how what and why of this or that.

the only thing on my wishlist right now is stable 30~60 on recommended specs, 11 updates waiting on stability, +2 and it will be a year, and i still can't play odyssey properly, jesus

These look like they would make the game too easy. There has to be some challenge and risk else it gets boring.

What I would like in a next release or DLC is more to explore, say if there were some underground facilities at settlements, residential areas to explore in surface ports/starports with black market contacts etc (and patrols to avoid)

This is not the thread you're looking for.

The thing I loved about the OP's list is that it was well thought out and concentrated on gameplay. I have yet to see a valid gameplay argument for ship interiors.
We don't have a valid gameplay for the new srv but here we are. We don't have valid gameplay for on foot exploration but we have arthemis suit. We don'r have valid gameplay for carrier interiors. And many more examples. It is all about immersion and teh valid game can be boarding damaged ships in space or crashed on planets and explore and loot them.

Missing from the OP

Cockpit cats.

And yes, they are gameplay centric. Both in ship and on foot.

On foot: your cockpit cat (which gets it's own really cool space suit armor) finds you loot and takes items off fallen npcs and brings it to you sometimes. Sometimes it just plays with the stuff. Cockpit cats are super rare and difficult to acquire, so it's important you protect your cockpit cat ...which even though they are hard to shoot, can be killed.

In ship: Your cockpit cat has been bred for a thousand years to live in space. Cockpit cats can sense USS's undetectable by ship sensors at any supercruise speed higher than the minimum. So your cockpit cat can act as a detector of these ...letting you slow down so they can be picked up by the ship's computer and you can drop into them.

Your cockpit cat is proceduraly generated, so they can look different and have different temperaments and emotes but different factions tend to have certain looks of cockpit cat. Each faction is slightly different and those difference are only available from cat dealers of that faction. You can name your cockpit cat and buy different cat space suits for arx.

Cockpit cats can only be acquired by coming across a breeder in supercruise or on foot.

in space: They randomly appear in any populated system and if you have the required random rare that particular breeder wants, you can trade it for a cockpit cat, picked among it's handful of kittens. Once you eject the good, they will collect it and once collected, they will eject the cat chosen that you must collect. No more transactions with that particular breeder can occur in that instance. Only 1 cockpit cat per commander can be had at a single time.

Getting rid of a cockpit cat other than by death is possible by transferring them to cargo and ejecting them. Cockpit cats ejected this way cannot be picked up, it immediately high jumps out ...same as what presumably happens to player pilots when they die.

On Foot: Cockpit cats on foot are acquired by coming across a cat breeder srv. These guys randomly travel on populated worlds and can be interacted with on foot or in your srv. Transfer of random rare good for your cockpit cat is done much the same way as on ship except the cockpit cat is given to you in a space cat suit and follows you like normal. (cockpit cats are highly trained at an extremely young age).

Getting rid of a cockpit cat on foot can be done with a comm command you can give it. This will cause the cockpit cat to meow, and look real sad. If you give the command a second time before doing anything else, the cat will turn away and run off behind the nearest thing available and de-instance. if nothing is available, it will just run off until it's too small to see and de-instance. If you chase it ..it'll just keep running. There is no way to regain it, and nobody else can take it.

When in ship, the cockpit cat sits in view of the player. It will follow the player on concourses and any other time they disembark

Cockpit cats can also protect the owner, but cannot be commanded to attack. In emergencies where the player is being attacked at close proximity, a cockpit cat may defend the player using the prosthetic claws their suits have that they use ordinarily for grasping items off dead guys and wherever to attach to their chest mounted cargo carrier. The prosthetic claws can easily tear thru space suits and flesh. It's advisable to not find yourself trying to dislodge an angry cockpit cat. Cockpit cats do not attack robots. Cockpit cats are afraid of fire and water. Cockpit cats are also disturbed by other cockpit cats. leading to a decrease in their ability to acquire loot or defend the player.

I think only after this, can we really look to address the other items in the wishlist.

Top Bottom