Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 6

Fixed Point Of Interest missions failing to spawn their POIs correctly.

POI Chest.JPG

So close.... SO close.

With FSR on and everything maxed out, I can explore on foot in 4K @ 58-60 fps which is fantastic for me. Long term, this is an absolute Win for me, because while I’m having fun with settlements and stations right now I’ve spent most of my hours out in the black. The planets look amazing right now, the fps is playable on my 1080ti, I haven’t found a downside to FSR yet (I won’t have time to get to a settlement and station for a couple hours, but if that just means dropping it back to 2k in between exploring trips I’m good with that)
Oh and everything in the ship looks sharp and perfect afaict, with frames in the 120-130 range in 4K.
I have a 1080Ti also ... anyway you can share your settings?? Thanks

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore I'm hard crashing when I try to view my Artemis suit in the loadout management screen. All other suits are fine.
^ Ooft, ok thanks for this. I'll do a sanity check myself on it tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up! Anyone else experiencing this, please do let me know.

^ Hello! Can I be a pest please and ask for more info from you? Which mission was this? Sorry to be a pain.

Vulkan? Huh.

everyone playing on linux runs the game in vulkan ...with a dx11 -> vulkan wrapper. It's usually pretty flawless...and fairly low overhead (i play in VR on it and butter smooth framerates on my 5600xt - at least before odyssey i did)

seems it doesn't enjoy dealing with fsr currently though.

Thanks Frontier, you just made Exploration even more grindy for no reason at all!!!!!\

Before this update, when approaching a planet under supercruise assist, you could disengage the supercruise [Assist] by double clicking the target ahead key bind. Now that does not work, and you have to navigate away from the forward view while approaching a planet at speed, to disengage supercruise [Assist] so you can map the planet from a stable position..

Why WHY WHY?????????

Please hotfix this hot mess ASAP!

Last edited:
Hellooo! Looking into this for you, sorry I'm a bit stretched (no excuse) so my replies are a bit sporadic :)
Thank You! There are alot of other CMDRs here and back in the bubble eagerly awaiting for more info to add to this mystery (if there is anymore to be had today anyway). I can send some screenshots if that could help in anyway.

Screenshot_0725.jpg

On surfaces:

Distant terrain looks vastly more detailed

Terrain shadows are much more stable

My shadows now appear to connect with my actual feet much more often

FPS has seen a fair uplift (20-60%, location dependent) on my very middling computer (Ryzen 2600, RX580, 1440p at Quality SFR setting)

Best update so far! Keep 'em coming!

sallymorganmoore

everyone playing on linux runs the game in vulkan ...with a dx11 -> vulkan wrapper. It's usually pretty flawless...and fairly low overhead (i play in VR on it and butter smooth framerates on my 5600xt - at least before odyssey i did)

seems it doesn't enjoy dealing with fsr currently though.

Keeping a beady eye on Linux feedback right now. This is very helpful. Thanks!

sallymorganmoore

Thank You! There are alot of other CMDRs here and back in the bubble eagerly awaiting for spice to add to this mystery (if there is anymore to be had today anyway). I can send some screenshots if that could help in anyway.

You're so kind! At this point where I'm actually struggling a little because there's some AMAZING feedback coming in from all directions - would you mind DMing me with the screenies please? Only when you have time :) Really appreciate it!

sallymorganmoore

Thanks Frontier, you just made Exploration even more grindy for no reason at all!!!!!\

Before this update, when approaching a planet under supercruise assist, you could disengage the supercruise by double clicking the target ahead key bind. Now that does not work, and you have to navigate away from the forward view while approaching a planet at speed, to disengage supercruise so you can map the planet from a stable position..

Why WHY WHY?????????

Please hotfix this hot mess ASAP!

You guys love to start off sounding like you're giving good news and then hit me in the face with a frying pan of flip side, dontcha?

Thanks for the thoughts on this! I can grab 'em, take 'em, and feed 'em back.

Keeping a beady eye on Linux feedback right now. This is very helpful. Thanks!
I play on Linux with 1080p. Yday with build 600 CAS was doing cool pics with all ultras, today had to turn off AMD thing and change some ultras to high.
I think I liked CAS in fact it was somehow nicer image.

Could we have CAS back as a third upscaling option to compare them, or it's too much of work to get it back?

With a 980M at 1080p i have the impression i was better off with SS 0.85 and CAS rather than FSR Ultra, but i can't be sure

Last edited:
^ Ooft, ok thanks for this. I'll do a sanity check myself on it tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up! Anyone else experiencing this, please do let me know.

^ Hello! Can I be a pest please and ask for more info from you? Which mission was this? Sorry to be a pain.
no problem at all!

it was a retrieval mission, the POI spawned properly, the planet looked fantastic on the way down (the LOD transitions are so much improved!) the bad guys spawned appropriately (and appropriately reacted to multiple dumbfire missile launches), but the mission item either 1) failed to spawn or (more likely) 2) spawned under the terrain geometry.

Probable related ticket: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/31934

And I will echo many other posters and say that having a real human active on the update thread is a fantastic touch and very much appreciated!

POI Mission.JPG

@sallymorganmoore

Just wanted to give you some feedback on this latest update.

First off, thank you for all the hard work on your part, as well as the rest of the CM team, and the devs for these updates.

The addition of AMD FSR is nice, but since my monitor is 1080p, the increase in performance comes at a pretty significant loss of visual quality. At 1080p, it's quite pixelated, even at the highest quality setting. I'll run it this way for now however, as I'm testing to see if I can run using my Horizons graphics settings with FSR. Still looking forward to not having to use a workaround for improved performance. I know you guys are still hard at work on this!

Unfortunately, I'm getting random drops in FPS in settlements. Not all of them though and it's very random. Watching my CPU and GPU usage, I've noticed there's a massive dip in GPU usage for no reason when the frame drops happen. It will just randomly drop into the single digit frames for anywhere from a few seconds to 20 and my GPU usage will dip into the teens or less.

Regarding the AI, was it intentional that all NPC guards and scavengers no longer use their torches? Just took a settlement raid and it was at night. I couldn't see anything, but all the scavengers saw me and started opening up on me. These missions are going to be a lot harder when it's dark if you don't have night vision on your suit, which I don't yet. I had to resort to using the SRV because I just couldn't see where the NPCs were at.

Finally, I'm currently "stuck" in the game. I was leaving a settlement and prepping to jump to a new system. My FSD charged up fully but nothing happened. Tried again, same thing. So I tried jumping to supercruise, same thing. Just sits at 100% charged. Figured there could be server issues so I attempted to exit the game. Menu won't open. So I'm going to have to task kill it to get out.

Weird, I'm pretty sure it was working fine in Update 5 for me. I don't suppose you know of an existing issue report? I couldn't see one from a brief look before, but I'd rather add-to than create a duplicate.
Answering my own post after a further trawl of Issue Tracker - it’s an already reported problem:

…but doesn’t have the required confirmations yet. Time is getting short for the report and Expiration looms 😕

Controller users unite! Hands to Confirmation Stations!

(
please remember to click “can reproduce” when Confirming👍)

Top Bottom