Elite Dangerous on Linux - SUCCESS

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to update anyone who is interested, I finally got Elite Dangerous working on Linux.

This is how I did it:

• Using latest version of Antergos Linux
  • Nvidia GTX 1070 with Nvidia proprietary drivers
  • Using Lutris to install Windows Steam version of Elite Dangerous
(Using the Native steam 'play on linux' does not work, as it does not install mono, which is a framework Elite uses for the launcher)
(Lutris uses Wine, which autodetects the requirement of mono and installs everything required)
Tip for frontier devs: Why not get rid of mono and develop the launcher in a more native/friendly way? This might make it even easier...

The performance is excellent, seems as smooth as my windows version, sound audio and joystick all working perfectly.

Finally I can move over to Linux for my gaming and productivity 100% :)

Thanks,

Congrats :) I use windows for games but feel a lot more comfortable with linux.
Has anyone come up with an open source trackir driver yet?

I have, finally, got this working as well. I've always wanted to switch to Linux but was stopped by the lack of support for ED and others but now I'm going full Penguin....

System is a MSI GE75 8SF Raider laptop with a RTX2070.
Pop!_OS 19.04

I basically followed this article, https://github.com/redmcg/wine/wiki , using the Linux Steam / Proton client to download the game. I haven't played it much but initial view is pretty good, it seems to run smoothly and am running it on ultra settings.

I`m able to run ED on linux mint 19.1, running smooth, however got some graphic issue, with light and textures.

I`m still experiencing some graphics glitch some objects over lighted especially in the stations, and rare is over shadowed. In the stations i don`t see almost anything but my gamma setting is on minimum. I tried to off all of the settings and this not helping. The driver version is latest 430.34. Please help.

UPD: most of glitches goes after turning off "effects" settings, but not all of them.

Last edited:
I have, finally, got this working as well. I've always wanted to switch to Linux but was stopped by the lack of support for ED and others but now I'm going full Penguin....

System is a MSI GE75 8SF Raider laptop with a RTX2070.
Pop!_OS 19.04

I basically followed this article, https://github.com/redmcg/wine/wiki , using the Linux Steam / Proton client to download the game. I haven't played it much but initial view is pretty good, it seems to run smoothly and am running it on ultra settings.

So tried this on another distro and had a slightly different experience when installing. This time it was on Kubuntu 19.04, followed the same article and same procedure. This time when I was prompted to sign on I just got a black logon screen. I managed to find the text boxes to enter my email, password and my verification code. After that the game launched. Again haven't played it much so can't confirm gaming experience but just wanted to try another distro of Linux.

Something I would like to know from a more experienced Linux user. Can I create a desktop icon or .sh script to run the command to execute EliteDangerous rather than having to type in the full command?

Last edited:
Can I create a desktop icon or .sh script to run the command to execute EliteDangerous rather than having to type in the full comman folder in your path
this is a bit late but for future learners:

I use ~/.local/bin for scripts, just be sure it's in your path. check with
Code:
echo $PATH

create the file, make it executable
Code:
touch ed && chmod +x ed
echo "steam steam://run/359320" > ed

type ed into your launcher of choice (I like dmenu) 😺

Top Bottom