Elite Dangerous plans for 2024

The cost per roll was the same (unless the blueprint needed cargo and many did), but for much of 2.1 materials dropped in quantities only a third of what they did later. Experimental effects were also only on ~10% of weapon rolls and there was never any guarantee of getting a good roll. On average, getting to a given grade probably took as much effort in the original system, and getting something distinctly above average was typically far more labor intensive.

I said effort, not cost. Even in 2.1, the amount of effort required to acquire a single G5 roll also yielded several G4 rolls, and many G3 rolls, and you didn’t have to go through the intermediate steps to do so. In addition, pre-FSS the ideal route to your destination practically guaranteed an encounter with a HGE, and that kept me swimming in mats, even before they increased the capacity of our pockets of holding.

The worst thing about the new system, IMO, was that they didn't forcibly convert old modules, so had to inflate bonuses to make anything created in the new system competitive with the best of the old stuff.

Agreed.

The game isn't really set up to make "partial success" an applicable outcome in a lot of cases, and certainly not the most likely outcome even then.
That's another problem though. Too much about the game's mechanics are binary, success or fail. CGs, missions. The game could do with situations like 90% of goal completed, we'll call it a success but you don't get full influence/rep. 50% it's a fail and we don't fine you but you're losing rep/influence, etc (numbers and effects pulled out of rectum for example so don't tell me about commanders profiting from not delivering expensive goods). Just more nuance to the gameplay overall.

You're not wrong. Then again - it was marketed to SP audience under the guise of a "solo mode". And it still is a way to avoid unwanted interaction. I've always said a game can't be both and yet here we are. Again.

I know they felt justice couldn't be done to the setting without the interactive BGS, but I still think they could have manged a read-only/manually synched one with minimal effort.

I said effort, not cost. Even in 2.1, the amount of effort required to acquire a single G5 roll also yielded several G4 rolls, and many G3 rolls, and you didn’t have to go through the intermediate steps to do so. In addition, pre-FSS the ideal route to your destination practically guaranteed an encounter with a HGE, and that kept me swimming in mats, even before they increased the capacity of our pockets of holding.

I strongly feel that the initial 2.1 system was more tedious than any later incarnation, due to the smaller material rewards (the original unit quantity was one, not three), the need to carry around cargo to do any significant Engineering, and the lack of module storage or ship transfers. The amount of shipyard and outfitting nonsense I had to go through to make combat ships that had no cargo racks in an Engineering system that required cargo for certain blueprints was a whole lot of extra effort vs. what was required later.

2.2 through 2.4 might have been situationally less problematic, but the number of rolls to get through a grade (as opposed to max out a grade) didn't increase much in the 3.0 system. 3.0 also introduced material traders which dramatically reduced material gathering effort and waste.

I just really hope they do not let the Game die.
Even with all of its problems, Elite is still the best Space-"MMO" (if only the multiplayer would work without constant errors) that is playable currently.

I have little to no hope that Frontier picks Elite up again and gives it the ressources it deserves and needs but ill be happy if they slap me in the Face and give us another DLC with Actual atmospherics.

I know they felt justice couldn't be done to the setting without the interactive BGS, but I still think they could have manged a read-only/manually synched one with minimal effort.

I strongly feel that the initial 2.1 system was more tedious than any later incarnation, due to the smaller material rewards (the original unit quantity was one, not three), the need to carry around cargo to do any significant Engineering, and the lack of module storage or ship transfers. The amount of shipyard and outfitting nonsense I had to go through to make combat ships that had no cargo racks in an Engineering system that required cargo for certain blueprints was a whole lot of extra effort vs. what was required later.

2.2 through 2.4 might have been situationally less problematic, but the number of rolls to get through a grade (as opposed to max out a grade) didn't increase much in the 3.0 system. 3.0 also introduced material traders which dramatically reduced material gathering effort and waste.
2.1 was the worst implementation, but you could simply ignore engineering. 2.2 or 2.3 or something like that unlocked the equipment table for NPC and you got the random hitpoint insanity. Strictly speaking it was vanilla, but I'm sure it was unlocked because they "generously" gave us the tools to fight the health and damage resistance bloat.

I have stopped reading the responses and comments here on page 8 or so when it became clear noone knew what was planned for ED this year, and the discussion quickly went off topic, but after the "Frontier Unlocked" livestream my initial question seems very appropriate and strangely on time to me 😅

Top Bottom