Guide / Tutorial Elite: Dangerous Quick Start Guide

Thx Michael!
Just found a small error regarding the screenshot of the cockpit interface in the pdf:
number 17 on the internal heat level is wrong, it should be 12 as mentioned in the text description on page 10.

Nice! I learned some things, e.g. I always suspected that shields were stronger with more pips, but it's nice to see that confirmed. I was also unsure how the signature bar worked.

I was wondering what the carets over stars mean in the Galaxy Map, so maybe include that. :D
And under speed indicator on p. 9, is it possible to tell us what the number means? Is the number m/s or some other real world number?

I only skimmed, but I'll add a few more typos:
p. 7 Under Ful Gauges: "Your ships fuel" apostrophe missing.
p. 8 Under Ship Schematic: "shields strength" should be "shield strength" (since this is used elsewhere).
p. 9 Under Hull Integrity: intergrity
p. 14 Under Transactions: first word not capitalized
p. 21 Crime: Closing citation mark missing for WANTED.

EDIT:
The scanner also scans stellar and planetary bodies in Super Cruise. Maybe include that on p. 16? Even better, write a paragraph or two on exploration.

It would also be nice to see a page on various equipment, e.g. fuel scoops, chaff launchers, weapon types, etc. You should let people know somewhere which stars can be used for scooping and which cannot.

EDIT 2:
The online FAQ (also very nice) points to the game manual for details on interdiction. I saw no such details in manual: http://www.elitedangerous.com/faqs

Last edited:
Found another error regarding the screenshot of the cockpit interface in the pdf:
The fuel gauge of the main tank is NOT displayed in segments as stated on page 7 in '4. Fuel Gauges'.
Thanks in advance for correcting this!

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Some feedback and a brief QA:

• General - the grey background is a little too dark. Slightly brighter and perhaps a bit more opaque background would make for an easier reading.
  • Page 7 - Fuel Gauge. -- "Your ships fuel" - should say "Your ship's fuel" (missing apostrophe)
  • Page 7 - Fuel Gauge. -- It only describes what the main tank is for. It would be good to explain what the secondary tank is for and also what the number 0.46/h represents.
  • Page 7 - Characteristic Indicators - Landing Gear. It would be good to mention that you are unable to use Boost when LG is down.
  • Page 9 - Scanner. "A contact that flashes white signifies that it is currently attacking your" - unfinished sentence.
  • Page 13 - Target Panel. Navigation is not in Bold Text, as the rest of the tab names in this section.
  • Page 17 - Travelling. The order of Travel Modes could be amended to be: Standard Space Flight, then Super Cruise and then Hyperspace Jump (just seems more logical to order it in ascending mode order).
  • Page 19 - Super Cruise. "You can exit from super cruise by using the “Enable Frame Shift Drive”" - unfinished sentence (should it be ---> "key, which is "J" by default"?)
  • Page 20 - Galaxy Map. "View" and "Options" are written in slightly larger font than "Info" and "Navigation"

All in all it's a good quick start guide, it should easily allow the new players to get the grips of basic functions of the game. I think it's clear and easy to understand. Good job, FDEV!

Just a couple of things :

Page 9 : "To the right of the speed bar is a “sweet spot” indicator shown in blue."

This is actually to the left of the speed bar.

Page 10 : "A contact that flashes white signifies that it is currently attacking your"

Incomplete sentence.

Last edited:
I like these, but it still doesn't explain some of the nuances of the Scanner, such as the difference between blue and red planets...which I've still not worked out consistently.

I thought this was to do with the gravity well of the planet, but there have been situations where I've been a good distance (i.e. planet outside 1st ring) and it's still blue...

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Just a couple of things :

Page 10 : "A contact that flashes white signifies that it is currently attacking your"

Incomplete sentence.

I thought it was meant to be "you" rather than "your..."

Awesome. Love the cover style. That would make for an incredible print to sell in the store.

I'm wondering if later on if physical copies of manuals will be available in the store? Are there any plans to do a new space traders flight manual? There is something about having a real book that I prefer over electronic media. :)

Is this the same quick start guide that's included in the upgraded boxed edition? If so then its a bit disappointing that people have paid for it when you've suddenly made it a free download.

Looking good, here are the little issues I found on a quick read through:

• Page 2 - Last sentence, "Unathorised" - typo.
  • Page 3 - Bullet points on system requirements for Graphics cards? I assume this is to indicate an "either/or greater" situation?
  • Page 5 - Last but one sentence "fueled" - American vernacular, British is "fuelled" (hair splitting...).
  • Page 7 - Fuel Gauges, "Your ships fuel" should be "Your ship's fuel".
  • Page 8 - Power Distributor, "emergency thrust [boost].In addition" Needs a space after the full stop.
  • Page 9 - Hull Integrity, Last sentence, "intergrity" - typo.
  • Page 10 - 7th line, "trianglular" - typo.
  • Page 10 - 16th line, unfinished sentence.
  • Page 11 - Nav-compass, last bullet point, "interdicition" - typo.
  • Page 12 - Modules, "Modules with a lower power draw priority are turned off first" Might want to explain that a lower number is a higher priority.
  • Page 13 - Cargo, "You can jettison cargo by selecting it" Might be useful to explain abandon feature too.
  • Page 14 - Transactions, Capitalisation of "here" required.
  • Page 19 - Bullet 5, missing space between "alignment" and "required".
  • Page 19 - Bullet 6, Unfinished sentence?
  • Page 19 - Bullet 8, "You cannot deploy hard points" Uh... "Weapon hard points?" If you use FSD or Discovery scanner it does deploy the hardpoints, you have to stow before you can jump.
  • Page 22 - Travel, "supercruise" referred to as "super cruise" in previous parts of the document (page 19), which is correct?

Cheers!

Z

Last edited:
I think I found another issue:

Page 9 "Speed Indicator": the "sweet spot" indicator in blue is to the left of the speed bar, not the right as stated.

Is this the same quick start guide that's included in the upgraded boxed edition? If so then its a bit disappointing that people have paid for it when you've suddenly made it a free download.
I think you may be alone in your expectation that the quick start guide shouldn't be available to all.

TFM - Page 7 Section 10 said:
Contacts that your ship’s sensors have detected display as markers on the disc; a contact to your right will appear to the right of the disc above the triangle representing your ship is in front of you, a contact in front will appear on the front part of the disc.
Apart from the obvious problems with this sentence, the entire section would benefit from changing most references to 'the triangle representing your ship' to 'centre'.

Top Bottom