Elite Dangerous Update 7 Progress

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 45
what you tryna say about our lovely CMs?? lmao.. (I would loooove to ping them for the joke but it ain't worth it what with everything these days)
But not Sally .... But I thought about it and thought if it brings a smile to someone's face and it's not mentioning rainbow lasers and unicorn paintjob and stars shooting out of engines , what have I to lose . I did think the ping was .......your out of here ......🤣

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
Of course people will lose patience if this drags for too long, as said elsewhere my personal fence to jump if i don't see noticeable improvements (i meant optimizations, they are already making improvements) is set to update 8 (so, no pressure for that...), but the hard truth is still that even they don't (and can't) know the answer.
Yes I remember we had this convo before (after I quoted you, natch). While it is true that improvements have been made, they're quite incremental and too meandering for my taste (up to patch 4 it got a little better, then patch 5 improved some areas while others become 100% unplayable so a net step backwards, patch 6/6.01 semi improved things again but I'm still having severe drops in random places, sometimes even in the docking bay of all places, which suggests culling/garbage collecting issues remain a factor).

Will be interesting to see how the return of CAS changes things (part of 7, right?), I presume not by much and it's more a case of what look one prefers (especially for those who play on 1080p displays - I much preferred CAS fwiw, even if it didn't really bring performance gains but the image looked better to me).

I also think that the real issue isn't graphics as such, but NPCs - whenever they're around my performance tanks; while empty settlements without ships yield an almost stable 60fps locked. Which is more what I expect given the (lack of) visual fidelity on display.

FSR to me isn't an improvement either per se (even though I've seen some posters using it as an argument that it helped - yes, but at what cost) but a temporary stopgap until "proper" optimization occurs; though I get the feeling that it might actually be part of the overall plan to make Odyssey acceptable to people who don't care/know what it does and/or don't see the visual downgrade it brings.

But who knows - it might actually work out for Frontier, especially when I see how people are a-okay with the degraded visuals when comparing them with Horizons (such as the burning stations comparison thread). When your customers have limited expectations in terms of performance/visuals, you might get away with putting less effort into it. Hope I'm wrong and Frontier retains a minimum level of artistic pride and sorts those out regardless.

As I said before, the way in how patch 7 is rolled out and the quality of it (how much does it fix vs. how much does it wreck that wasn't broken?) will be a key acid test for me, so I might not end up waiting for patch 8, which could still be several months away for all we know.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LKx
Morning!
Yeah I wanted to check in with you all before everything goes into overdrive ahead of exciting times tomorrow.
It's been pretty full few days passed, so sorry for less noise from me personally since last week o7
Perfectly understandable as you need all the rest you can get before dealing with all of us idiots during and after the release, especially those of us asking why stuff that was not in the patch hasn’t been fixed by the patch.

What I'm trying to say is, allow us to knuckle down and get Odyssey in true shape and then watch the content and fun stuff start to emerge...that's all I can say on that but I wanna be cheeky here and say that...I'm excited for some of the forthcoming updates, honestly....More on those soon(tm).

Panther Clipper confirmed!

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LKx
Who said it was a 'Medium Sized patch', sorry?
Also you need to have a thorough understanding of how hotfixes and release management works to plan what goes out most efficiently and how. It was just very much more efficient and safe with testing to do it this way.

No offence but speaking to you as a human and not just a CM at Frontier, the misconception there of us being lazy too also doesn't make me want to go into massive details and length to support queries as hard as I am doing either, to be honest, but I'll keep trying.

Whatever information we have, you can darn well have it. We WANT to give it to you. If we don't have it, I can keep writing in here that we don't until we do but that'd be really exhausting for you as much as me.
Uhm, my post was just a reply to your previous question towards someone about how could you answer to them.

Quoting the last bit made it a bit out of context. :) Before that last bit, I did write, that development was very complex, and not as simple as most think it is. (I'm a solution architect, former lead developer.)

No offence was meant by the last part - no, I do not think the team is lazy, quite the opposite! :) I wrote it just to explain that it may seem like that for people who do not understand how complex development is. If you think (as some players do) that these things are simple, then you'll only see that FDev is slow, hence FDev is lazy, hence you (as CM) get questions like "why not hotfix it?" etc.

Sorry, maybe I'm not as good in English as I thought. :) Anyway it doesn't matter rellay and please do not be upset about it! :)

Have a nice day, and have a cookie and some hot tea (or coffee)! :)

Hey Star Citizen was meant to be released fully featured and complete in 2014, I think I can live with the trivial matter of manually backing up bindings.

Yeah mate. I fully understand that you're perfectly happy for your roof to leak because some guy in a completely different country doesn't even have a roof. Makes perfect sense.

Top Bottom